Author Topic: Coming out storyline in Brit soap 'Coronation Street'  (Read 30981 times)

Offline saucycobblers

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
Re: Coming out storyline in Brit soap 'Coronation Street'
« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2007, 03:55:58 pm »
I also love this little scene. I could absolutely watch Bruno Langley's face 24/7, and not just cos he's so purty  ;). He barely needs to do anything to communicate what Todd is feeling.

This is Todd, finding at eighteen that all the sweetness of life has suddenly gone to wormwood.

This made me chuckle Andrew. You see there's a prison called Wormwood Scrubs in London, and at this point his life must feel like a prison. And of course he works in a hospital and medical staff uniforms are called 'scrubs'. And that pic kinda looks like a visitors room in a prison dontcha think? See how one little word can made my overactive piscean imagination go "wheeeeeeeeeeeee!!"

Man, I have WAY too much time on my hands... ::)
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2007, 07:42:48 pm »
I also love this little scene. I could absolutely watch Bruno Langley's face 24/7, and not just cos he's so purty  ;). He barely needs to do anything to communicate what Todd is feeling.

Here here.  He is beautiful, aint he?  8)

I can't pick which Todd scene I love best ..
Guh, I'm obsessed ..  ;D

Offline Andrew

« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2007, 11:47:17 am »
Nicky - his life really has become a prison at that point, hasn't it?

We become receptive to symbols, a kind of surcharged meaning, when our feelings are surcharged too.  All one can say for certain on the scene of Todd's seeing his mother is that they were showing him realizing he had an opportunity of talking to her right at that moment because he could see she would be at home.  But Todd's feelings are full at that point, ours are full to the extent that we sympathize, and in film we are forced to intuit what is behind the subtly stirring face.

An intuition of a symbol is just a kind of flash which is betrayed as soon as you try to put it into words.  We barely know what we feel when our feelings are intense, but we do feel partly in symbols.  An unusual image, like the retreating back of a loved one who does not know we are nearby, is an invitation to our feelings to produce an unaccustomed symbol. a tiny lightning flash which illuminates ourselves for a moment, without our really being able to say how we were illuminated.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 11:53:47 am by Andrew »

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2007, 01:38:26 pm »
That entire Todd Coming Out series from that Chris Finch site is amazing.

It is hard to watch at times because you really feel Todd's pain, but that is what makes it so good.
At that point, he was certain Karl was done with him, what with Karl telling him he was out all night and not sleeping till 5 am and all that.  ;)
He tells his mom about Karl and how that relationship began ..
And then not too long afterwards, as the conversation progresses, we see him trying to "undo" his confessions by saying things like..
"I love Sarah, I'm gonna make it work .. Yeah, you're right, one kiss and I'm in love .. Besides, he can't care for me - he won't be seeing other lads if he did.. They're all the same .." and so on.  He got all his grief off his chest and you would think that would bring him closer to self-acceptance .. instead he wishes harder to fix things, to make things work with Sarah, he's even willing to quit his job in attempt to keep away from karl ..  :)  So many times I just wish I could get in there and give him a hug .. *sigh*

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2007, 08:26:06 pm »
A note to all:

Karl's Birthday is on Thursday, April 12th !!
:D ;D

I'll wear my new t-shirt and have a pint for him on that day, for sure!  8)
(Yes, I do have a life .. in case you are wondering .. LOL)

Offline Andrew

« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2007, 08:37:10 pm »
Thanks for the reminder!...That date had only registered unconsciously (it is in the script) whereas now I will actually put it on my calendar!!

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2007, 09:52:25 pm »
I could not resist making one more wallpaper ..  8)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2007, 09:53:31 pm »
Thanks for the reminder!...That date had only registered unconsciously (it is in the script) whereas now I will actually put it on my calendar!!

:D  I knew you'd appreciate the reminder Andrew!  Obsession loves company!  ;D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2007, 10:01:14 pm »
Wow Milli! That wallpaper looks great!  :D

I wish I could do that. I don't think I have the talent nor the patience. I'm glad you do though, and I'm happy you are willing to share it with us!
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2007, 11:37:19 pm »
Cheers David!  :-*

Did you check out the Todd/Karl videos?  :D