Author Topic: BBM Now a Dutch Play - Premier tonight  (Read 48116 times)

Offline adrian

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
Re: BBM Now a Dutch Play - Premier tonight
« Reply #90 on: February 18, 2007, 02:45:10 pm »

Thank you Melissa for this wonderful account of the play, I'm glad that you were able to be our eyes.  Now I need to take a Berlitz class for Dutch and redline it to Holland.

Adrian
There were only two of them on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air, looking down on the hawks back and crawling lights of vehicles on the plain below....they believed themselves invisible.   A. Proulx

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #91 on: February 18, 2007, 02:58:46 pm »
You could probably get a flight there from Michigan!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #92 on: February 18, 2007, 03:25:58 pm »
Thank you so much Melissa, for replying to my questions and for giving us the pictures, translated reviews as well as your own review. I sure wish I could have been there with you to see it.

There was one more question lingering in my mind originally, but it has been throughly answered by now; - the one big "make or break" question I suppose: Did they have chemistry? And from what you say and from the reviews the answer obviously is "Yes!!"  :)

mvansand76

« Reply #93 on: February 18, 2007, 04:01:26 pm »
Yes, they did have chemistry, but not throughout the play, I think that is because they alternated between being Jack or Ennis and being the narrator. I think the chemistry was most clear during the reunion scene, the motel scene and the scene during their last fishing trip, where Jack says "That is one of the two things I need right now" (I love that line and I hate that it's not in the movie!). Overall, they were obviously enjoying playing this together.

Offline Toast

« Reply #94 on: February 18, 2007, 04:35:08 pm »
Thanks Melissa
Sounds like a straight presentation of our Annie Proulx's words.
As your responses/review say however, there's nothing simple about the actors or the stage presentation.
The play seems to have presented the humor with the sadness.
Thanks for doing this for us.

I'm glad I didn't have to do any more machine translations.
However can I requote myself (well quote the machine, actually):
"And exactly as onherbergzaam, infinitely harsh and tenderly as the landscape, is love."

Dank u Melissa

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #95 on: February 18, 2007, 04:52:55 pm »
I just want to add another thank you for being so enthusiastic and sharing everything with us  :-*.

6. Yes they did! I was very happy to see that and it was very powerful, especially because Jack narrated that!

I absolutely see the fact that Jack read out the prologue made it especially poignant. I love the prologue, it gets me every time. My fav line from it is ...that old, cold time on the mountain, when they owned the world and nothing seemed wrong.

When they projected pictures of Alma, the sheep and the postcard, did they use the pictures from the movie (e.g. Michelle Williams as Alma)? Or did they create their own pictures and project them?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #96 on: February 18, 2007, 05:28:35 pm »
I just want to add another thank you for being so enthusiastic and sharing everything with us  :-*.

I absolutely see the fact that Jack read out the prologue made it especially poignant. I love the prologue, it gets me every time. My fav line from it is ...that old, cold time on the mountain, when they owned the world and nothing seemed wrong.

When they projected pictures of Alma, the sheep and the postcard, did they use the pictures from the movie (e.g. Michelle Williams as Alma)? Or did they create their own pictures and project them?

I would like to join Chrissi in thanking you Melissa! I really do appreciate all the time you have spent telling us about the play!  :D

Dank u vriendelijk!  :D

How many people were there last night to watch the play? Can you give us an estimate?
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #97 on: February 18, 2007, 05:33:13 pm »
Melissa,

Just wanted to send you another thank you for your wonderful descriptions of the play.

It was great to read about it. :D :D :D

mvansand76

« Reply #98 on: February 18, 2007, 05:36:33 pm »
Thanks Melissa
Sounds like a straight presentation of our Annie Proulx's words.
As your responses/review say however, there's nothing simple about the actors or the stage presentation.
The play seems to have presented the humor with the sadness.
Thanks for doing this for us.

I'm glad I didn't have to do any more machine translations.
However can I requote myself (well quote the machine, actually):
"And exactly as onherbergzaam, infinitely harsh and tenderly as the landscape, is love."

Dank u Melissa

That translation I will never forget!  :laugh:

You are all very welcome, I am so glad I could see this play and share my experiences with you all!

I just wish you could all see it, it's such a unique experience. I remember sitting in the theatre and the lights came on and Jack sitting on the right side of the stage and starting with "Ennis del Mar wordt voor vijfen wakker...", to hear this story that has become so important to me being told right in front of me by Jack and in my own language, I just couldn't stop smiling like a fool.... It made me feel extremely happy to be in love with such an extraordinary story.

I remember walking out of the theatre alone (my boyfriend was gonna come with me but he was too sick) and I just wished that everybody from Bettermost was there to discuss it with.

mvansand76

« Reply #99 on: February 18, 2007, 05:42:02 pm »

No, they did not use pictures from the movie, they projected a video of a blonde woman on the crates and she was just staring ahead. They were all moving images.
There was actually absolutely nothing that reminded me of the movie, other than that the movie and the play share the same story, they were two completely different artistic things! That was the director's aim, he had the rights to the short story and not the movie and he wanted to make something that was seperate from the movie.  :)