Author Topic: Ennis and Jack in non-sexual roles  (Read 2772 times)

moremojo

Ennis and Jack in non-sexual roles
« on: April 17, 2006, 11:48:36 am »
Howdy, folks:

Got to wondering last Friday, in light of the near-universal admiration for Jack and Ennis as the cowboy hunks of our dreams, how or even if anyone has speculated about these guys as people one could relate to in a non-sexual way. For example, I think Jack would make one of the best friends imaginable, with his nurturing nature, loyalty, and spontaneous sense of fun. It might be hard to want to be friends only with him, but if one could get past unrequited attraction,  I think it would be a most rewarding relationship.

As for Ennis, we see throughout the film what a doting, affectionate father he is to his girls. I think having Ennis for a father would be a comforting feeling, knowing his protective nature and strong sense of duty in terms of providing for his offspring. I speculate also that Ennis would offer very similar qualities as a grandfather, and take comfort in the idea that such descendants might soften the sorrow and solitude of Ennis's advancing years.

And while imagining the boys as family figures, Jack would seem to me to be an ideal big brother or uncle, taking one under his wing and always infusing one's time with him with fun and joie de vivre.

Any other ideas?

Scott
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 06:27:34 pm by moremojo »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Ennis and Jack in non-sexual roles
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 11:55:44 am »
In my alternative universe story, Ennis teaches kids to ride horses and likes that (goes along with the doting father image).

Jack has buddies that he plays poker with.

Ennis also has a very strong work ethic. Gets up early, works all day, is only persuaded to take a lunch or other break by Jack.
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 12:04:26 pm »
I'm sure Ennis's steadfastness would make him a good man to have around in a crisis. I can't imagine him panicking. He's cool, and steady, and conscientious--he wants to go back to the sheep in that hailstorm.

Jack, I think, is the kind of person everyone would want for a friend. Funny and outgoing--lights up a room when he enters it, and not just because he's gorgeous.

A long time ago on the old board, I mentioned that one part of the tragedy for Ennis is not just that he loses his lover when Jack dies, I'm convinced he also lost the best friend he ever had.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 12:09:12 pm »
In my alternative universe story, Ennis teaches kids to ride horses and likes that (goes along with the doting father image).

Jack has buddies that he plays poker with.

Ennis also has a very strong work ethic. Gets up early, works all day, is only persuaded to take a lunch or other break by Jack.

Leslie, is there a new installment that I'm not aware of?? Oh I hope there is! I love reading your story!!  ;D
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 12:17:07 pm »
I completely agree about Jack being an awesome friend - loving, nurturing, funny and a great listener, all fantastic qualities in a friend.

Ennis might not be as extroverted as Jack and a tad more serious, but he is very responsible, duty-conscious, loyal and very sensitive. I think Ennis would be the kind of friend who is reliable and who would do all he can to avoid leaving you in a lurch.  He is the kind of guy who will readily start a fight to defend someone he loves ... :)

Offline scottf.

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 12:39:25 pm »
Based on the True Adventures of Scott (me), an Ennis makes a good friend. I had an Ennis in my life, and as a romantic partner, as you can imagine, he was a disaster. But there were a couple of times when I'd gotten myself into trouble and he came through for me. Once I was flat broke, and he reached into his wallet without looking and gave me all the money he had in there. Sweet.

Jack's nurturing good nature must have been born in the crucible of an unhappy childhood. Imagine being brought up in that bleached, loveless house, with that terrifying father and frightedned mother.

Scott F.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 02:10:24 pm »
Another thing about the yin and the yang that are Ennis and Jack - I see Ennis as being the type that's good with the day-to-day - strong work ethic, steady, doesn't sweat the small stuff.  And I see Jack as being the type that's good in a crisis - as evidenced in his nurturing ways with Ennis.  This is very much like my husband and me.  He is very good at keeping things in perspective - at "staying the course."  And while he keeps a cool head in a crisis, he's not the most nurturing fellow - he kind of pulls back, in fact, I think to keep from getting too intimate and maybe rejected?  I'm the one who's spontaneous and fun and who needs to be steered back onto the path from time to time from day to day.  But if you're in trouble, I'll hold your hand and pull you through it come hell or high water.

Do you ever notice how it's very rare, if not impossible, to find one person in which both these qualities reside?  I have to admit that my husband has really let me down a few times when the shit has really hit the proverbial.  When my Mom died suddenly, for example, he was on a trip for work in another state.  I called him that night.  He could have come home that night or even the next day and not suffered any repercussions, but he just thought that "there was nothing either of us could do about it" where I was - her funeral wasn't for a few more days, and he said when he got home we'd go together to where she was going to be interred.  Thing is, I wanted to be with my brothers and wanted to go right away.  I thought I could help them get through it just by being there with them, you know?  When his Mom was dying of breast cancer, we drove up there every other weekend, the two of us with a two- and then a three-year old, for nine hours each way.  I gave up all my vacation days those two years to do that.  But the thing is it didn't bother me.  To this day, he's still wicked impressed with that.  I never gave it a second thought.  Again - Ennis, good at the day to day; not so good in a crisis.  Jack, not so good at the day to day ("Jack drank a lot..."); very good in a crisis.

Trouble is, if you have to pick, that doesn't just come in one person.  So your best bet is to pick someone who's the least like you in that respect.  As Jack and Ennis did.
No more beans!

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2006, 02:14:05 pm »
I'd love to be the friend of Jack for all the obvious reasons.  And I'd love to be friends with Ennis, but even more than friends, I'd love to be his sister.  Not the kind of sister he had in the story, but the kind of sister I could be - warm and loving and accepting...the one to whom he could speak openly about everything.

I'd love to be his confidant - the person who helps him understand what he's feeling and thinking, and move from that into positive action.  I'd love to be the first (and maybe only person) to have him and Jack over for dinner together, help 'em get set-up together after Ennis realizes that he can make it happen - that he can say yes to Jack..

I'd love to give him a big hug, the way you know Mrs. Twist wanted to, and let him know everything was going to be fine.

Only thing is...no smoking.  I don't think I could handle the non-stop smoking, the cigarette smell everywhere.  So we'd have to find a way to work with that, and then everything would be perfect.  It could be a sweet life!

"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)