Author Topic: The Wolf and the Thunderbird by kumari  (Read 3637 times)

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
The Wolf and the Thunderbird by kumari
« on: February 15, 2007, 08:41:52 pm »
After the most recent update, which literally blew my mind, I wanted to start a thread for this amazing story. I really can't believe it doesn't already have one... or maybe it does and I just can't find it... Anyway, here's a link to the first chapter, then just scroll through her journal...

http://debutante9.livejournal.com/2598.html

Someone better with summaries might want to do the honors  ;)
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline littleguitar

Re: The Wolf and the Thunderbird by kumari
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 08:46:14 pm »
Has anyone read the latest chapter??  ****SPOILERS*****

Jack in a slip and eyeliner? THUD

“What in the fuck are you wearin?” Ennis growled.

“It’s a slip,” Jack said, nonplussed, blowing smoke. “Like the kind you’d wear under a church dress.”

“That’s disgustin!” Ennis hissed, springing to his feet.

“Then let’s be disgustin,” Jack whispered, stepping closer to Ennis, tossing his cigarette into an empty flowerpot on the windowsill.

“Don’t like bein a queer, but if I wanted a girl...!” Ennis spat.

Jack pulled Ennis’ hand to him, ran it down the side of his thigh, the calluses on Ennis’ hand snagging the black silk.

“Feel how soft that is,” Jack coaxed.

Ennis wanted to yank his hand away from this scene but he couldn’t, so goddamn weak he felt right now. He clenched his jaw against a memory’s reflection of Jack with one eye made up, playing. Ennis could see he had some of that stuff on now, his coal-rimmed eyes burning the sweat out of Ennis’ pores, the rugged bite of Jack’s sensuality holding fast to his throat, hurting Ennis in the way he liked to be hurt.

“Feel how hard this is.” Jack twisted Ennis’ fist around his cock through the slip, Ennis rocking forward until his head came to rest on Jack’s shoulder, huddled over their handshake.

“This ain’t bein a girl, just somethin I want to try. It’s you and me here, that’s all, bein whatever we want.”

Jack always made whole truth out of the world’s nonsense for Ennis and he felt that truth deface the sadness that was painted onto his muscles and over his organs, until it had become his life’s only color.

Ennis looked up at Jack’s shoulder jutting out from under the thin strap like a hanger too big for its shirt. One strap had slipped down and that did something to Ennis, showing the part of Jack that he hadn’t let anybody get to, until now.

Ennis put his hand out, lingered, hesitated. His finger slid under the fallen strap and lifted it into place, pressing it into Jack’s shoulder.

‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 08:50:00 pm »
I love this Jack so much, I think he is incredibly unique and Kumari's vision of him hits me right in the gut every single time. And this line, this little line, both breaks my heart and takes my breath away. Sometimes you forget until something like this that Jack is still only 17, just a 17 year old forced to grow up too fast.

*****SPOILERS*****

Jack picked up a picture of Sean and took a closer look. Sean was cute enough, but a little grown-looking for his age, not really Jack’s type. He looked fun, like he told good jokes and made faces while he was telling them.  Jack wondered why he didn’t feel jealous looking at this friend that Ennis had been sweet on but wouldn’t admit it. Maybe it was because Ennis had cared about Sean and that made him good. But now he was dead, he would never grow up. Jack thought about praying but what if he did it wrong and it messed up something in Heaven? So he just kissed the picture on the forehead and put it back, and that should be enough to say sorry you didn’t make it.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 08:57:35 pm »
Really, really talented author. 

I'd also highly recommend "Camden Yards"  - that one has me completely captivated!!!  Such an original premise - haven't read anything like it - and so well written!

So many great fics - so little time!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 09:07:55 pm »
Oh yeah, I've been wanting to read Camden Yards for awhile, I've actually got it minimized at the bottom of my computer screen right now! Hopefully I'll get to it this weekend.

You're right, though. Kumari is incredibly talented. One of the best and most unique in the fandom, IMO

I'm also in love with The Bellwether/Ronin, her RPS. I can't believe she updated all three yesterday  :D

So many great fics - so little time!

Don't I know it... I've got so many on my list to read that I haven't gotten to yet, guh.

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 06:57:21 pm »
LOVED all that you quoted, Mandy  :) I also  love Jack for missing Mariposa, that's so damn adorable, and I  was extremely proud of him for not taking the money.I loved these lines too:

He could almost smell ripe peaches, Mariposa close by, fluttering over his shoulder, watching him.

All three of her Valentine Day stories were wonderful. The Camden Yards one was a great fun read!

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 11:03:40 pm »
LOVED all that you quoted, Mandy  :) I also  love Jack for missing Mariposa, that's so damn adorable, and I  was extremely proud of him for not taking the money.I loved these lines too:

He could almost smell ripe peaches, Mariposa close by, fluttering over his shoulder, watching him.

All three of her Valentine Day stories were wonderful. The Camden Yards one was a great fun read!

I love him for that, too... I think Mariposa is a great OC... I also really love the way KE is written in this fic, he's so intriguing and I really think there's more going on there then we know just yet

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 03:48:43 pm »
As usual, I am months behind. But nevertheless, it's not very long since the Wolf and the Thunderbird had its last chapter posted, so this is not all that out of date.  :)
I read the whole fic not long ago, and in case there are anyone else who like me haven't gotten around to it yet, I'd like to give it my very warmest recommendations. I don't think I can praise this fic highly enough. There are warnings for the fic content and the warnings certainly are there for a reason, but the fic is absolutely astounding. The writing is superb. The characters step out of the fic and walk in front of you. The story grips you and shakes you up and won't let you go. And unlike some fics I've read, this one completely delivers on its unbelievable quality up till and including the very last paragraphs.The two last paragraphs have to be some of the best descriptive writing I've ever read, in fan fiction and out of it.