Author Topic: Camden Yards by debutante9 (Kumari)  (Read 48065 times)

Offline coffeecat33

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Camden Yards by debutante9 (Kumari)
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2007, 06:24:55 pm »
Just puttin' in my 2 cents worth to say I love this fic. It's subtle, multi-layered, and sexy.

mvansand76

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2007, 05:26:20 am »
Just puttin' in my 2 cents worth to say I love this fic. It's subtle, multi-layered, and sexy.

I agree, it's very well-written and the last chapter was just...*faints again*...  ;)

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2007, 02:51:49 pm »
No update since April   :'(
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2007, 02:56:26 pm »
No update since April   :'(

I didn't know you were reading CY Dottie.  :)

I started reading it too and then I got sidetracked. It's a good story.

Have you read Melissa's fanfic yet?

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,8508.0.html

It's really good.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2007, 05:59:01 pm »
I didn't know you were reading CY Dottie.  :)

I started reading it too and then I got sidetracked. It's a good story.

Have you read Melissa's fanfic yet?

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,8508.0.html

It's really good.

No I haven't  yet honey, I've been reading Mandy's Just by Looking at You and The Only Thing that's Real and I am totally hooked on the VERY steamy, very sexy The Tie That Binds by Alexis .  I've read all of Jeff's stuff.  All of it is very good.  I will check out Melissa's next...maybe I'll print it out and take it with me on our road trip. :D
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2007, 10:10:56 am »
Chapter 7 is up!!!  Mel, where are you? 

http://debutante9.livejournal.com/14219.html

SPOILERS

Wow - this writing is just so damn good.  Each word is imbued with such symbolism and depth, but, yet, nothing is contrived.  All the actions and words ring so true and are so natural. 

The differences between Ennis's encounter with Abbey and his moments with Jack are so revealing.  Great phrasing here that kind of sums it up - "...what he was trying to build (if just for the afternoon)"  Trying to build something - as opposed to the special moments with Jack that are just so organic.   Ennis realizes this - but that's not at all the same as accepting it.  Can't wait to see what transpires when J&E see each other again.  And, of course, we can't forget about Alma and Lureen and Bobby and the girls ... because anything that happens or doesn't happen is going is going to affect all of them.  What a fascinating journey this is. 

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

mvansand76

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2007, 11:57:03 am »
Chapter 7 is up!!!  Mel, where are you? 

http://debutante9.livejournal.com/14219.html

SPOILERS

Wow - this writing is just so damn good.  Each word is imbued with such symbolism and depth, but, yet, nothing is contrived.  All the actions and words ring so true and are so natural. 

The differences between Ennis's encounter with Abbey and his moments with Jack are so revealing.  Great phrasing here that kind of sums it up - "...what he was trying to build (if just for the afternoon)"  Trying to build something - as opposed to the special moments with Jack that are just so organic.   Ennis realizes this - but that's not at all the same as accepting it.  Can't wait to see what transpires when J&E see each other again.  And, of course, we can't forget about Alma and Lureen and Bobby and the girls ... because anything that happens or doesn't happen is going is going to affect all of them.  What a fascinating journey this is. 

Marie

I thought I was gonna have a heart attack when I saw the update on bbslash! LOL! Just when you're not even thinking about this story anymore OR expecting an update and thinking to hell with this story, there it is! LOL!

SPOILER

A fascinating journey indeed! I had real trouble reading about Ennis having sex with Abbey! The moment she lay her hand on his chest and took his hand, I was screaming TAKE YOUR HANDS OFF HIM YOU B***H!!!! God, I was a mess after reading that, it was complete torture.... But then there was the last line that gave me back my sanity!

I agree with you, Marie, about how organic the encounters are between Jack and Ennis compared to how much Ennis has to think when he is with Abbey.

What do you think is gonna happen now?

Now let's hope she doesn't take another 2 MONTHS to update.... 

;D

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2007, 12:51:23 pm »

I thought I was gonna have a heart attack when I saw the update on bbslash! LOL! Just when you're not even thinking about this story anymore OR expecting an update and thinking to hell with this story, there it is! LOL!

SPOILER

A fascinating journey indeed! I had real trouble reading about Ennis having sex with Abbey! The moment she lay her hand on his chest and took his hand, I was screaming TAKE YOUR HANDS OFF HIM YOU B***H!!!! God, I was a mess after reading that, it was complete torture.... But then there was the last line that gave me back my sanity!

I agree with you, Marie, about how organic the encounters are between Jack and Ennis compared to how much Ennis has to think when he is with Abbey.

What do you think is gonna happen now?

Now let's hope she doesn't take another 2 MONTHS to update.... 

;D

SPOILERS

Yes, let's hope - but I think she's writing at least two other fics, so...... :-\

I know exactly what you mean about the Ennis/Abbey scene.  I knew Abbey served a purpose in the storyline, and then when her brother mentioned to Jack in the last chapter that Abbey had given Ennis her phone number, I thought, uh oh ... this is definitely leading somewhere, and not somewhere good.    And because Abbey blabbed to her brother about that, I don't have any doubt she'll blab about the fact that Ennis did indeed call her ... and then her brother will blab again to Jack and . . . I can't stand thinking about it! 

And, yeah, I was thinking the same thing: you two-bit hussy - get your hands off him, he's a married man.  Which is really funny because (hiding head in shame), I wasn't feeling bad that he was cheating on Alma.  It was Jack I was thinking about.  I do understand though why Ennis went to Abbey - he is completely freaked out about what happened with Jack.  He is in such a screwed up place right now. 

I'm so bad at predicting - I don't know what's going to happen. Yeah, the last line helped, but I have the feeling it's going to be a tough road out of denial for Ennis.  He and Jack both realize how right  it felt between them - but they went in totally opposite directions with that realization.  It will be interesting to see how (I hope!!!) they get back on the same road and heading in the same direction.

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

mvansand76

« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2007, 01:48:31 pm »

SPOILERS

Yes, let's hope - but I think she's writing at least two other fics, so...... :-\

I know exactly what you mean about the Ennis/Abbey scene.  I knew Abbey served a purpose in the storyline, and then when her brother mentioned to Jack in the last chapter that Abbey had given Ennis her phone number, I thought, uh oh ... this is definitely leading somewhere, and not somewhere good.    And because Abbey blabbed to her brother about that, I don't have any doubt she'll blab about the fact that Ennis did indeed call her ... and then her brother will blab again to Jack and . . . I can't stand thinking about it! 

And, yeah, I was thinking the same thing: you two-bit hussy - get your hands off him, he's a married man.  Which is really funny because (hiding head in shame), I wasn't feeling bad that he was cheating on Alma.  It was Jack I was thinking about.  I do understand though why Ennis went to Abbey - he is completely freaked out about what happened with Jack.  He is in such a screwed up place right now. 

I'm so bad at predicting - I don't know what's going to happen. Yeah, the last line helped, but I have the feeling it's going to be a tough road out of denial for Ennis.  He and Jack both realize how right  it felt between them - but they went in totally opposite directions with that realization.  It will be interesting to see how (I hope!!!) they get back on the same road and heading in the same direction.

Marie

Oh yes, Ennis's denial is deep I think, but I somehow think he won't be going back to Abbey, even if he was thinking of the details of his affair. Gosh, that man is on a roll isn't he, two affairs in only a few weeks? LOL!

The sex between him and Abbey reminded me a bit of the sex Ennis has with Alma in the Proulx OS in a way. I am not sure why. It just felt so wrong, but yeah, it was because of course we want Ennis to be with Jack and not Abbey!

I still think that house Jack is building has something to do with the rest of the story. He hasn't told Lureen about that yet! And then there's the season tickets they have!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2007, 05:32:59 pm »
Oh yes, Ennis's denial is deep I think, but I somehow think he won't be going back to Abbey, even if he was thinking of the details of his affair. Gosh, that man is on a roll isn't he, two affairs in only a few weeks? LOL!

The sex between him and Abbey reminded me a bit of the sex Ennis has with Alma in the Proulx OS in a way. I am not sure why. It just felt so wrong, but yeah, it was because of course we want Ennis to be with Jack and not Abbey!

I still think that house Jack is building has something to do with the rest of the story. He hasn't told Lureen about that yet! And then there's the season tickets they have!

Oh, I agree, Mel.  Ennis won't be going back to Abbey.  That was pretty clear to me after this paragraph:

He remembered looking into her fridge and seeing her strange food, listening to her talk about her life. He wondered if Junior secretly felt the same way about their family, if she couldn’t wait to get a ticket the hell out of Arbutus. He had wanted the girls to stay in state for college, but maybe he was wrong. If he made Junior feel guilty and stay, she might hate him or worse; she would end up screwing some married guy who used her to forget about his own fucked up shit that had nothing to do with her.

Oh, and one thing that Ennis is wrong about - I don't think Abbey is smarter than him at all.  I don't think Ennis gives himself enough credit. 

And, yeah, the house that Jack is secretly building just has to enter into this somehow - just as Abbey served (hopefully that's past tense) her purpose in the story, that house must have a purpose too.

I'd completely forgotten about the rest of the season tickets!  You're right - it's only June in the story.  Lots and lots of games left in this season!  I love when things get so complicated and intriguing (hmm... there's another great story I'm reading that's all angsty and complicated and intriguing, too - but that author has kindly guaranteed a happy ending  ;) LOL!)

Marie