Author Topic: Camden Yards by debutante9 (Kumari)  (Read 48185 times)

mvansand76

Re: Camden Yards by debutante9 (Kumari)
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2007, 05:29:18 am »
*David pokes his head through the door and eavesdrops on Melissa and Marie*

What are you doing here????? You're not even reading this story anymore!  >:(

;)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2007, 12:26:17 pm »
God, Marie, I love it when you ramble!  :)  . . . .

Aww, thanks, Fabienne - glad to know I'm making some sense.  Can't always tell when I start rambling!  :laugh:  I don't know about insightful - but, like everyone else here, I sure do love both our boys a whole lot.   :)

What are you doing here????? You're not even reading this story anymore!  >:(

;)

What?  You mean someone was able to start this story and not continue?  How is that possible?!?!?   :laugh:  Glad to see you peeking in anyway, David.   :)

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

mvansand76

« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2007, 02:21:45 pm »

What?  You mean someone was able to start this story and not continue?  How is that possible?!?!?   :laugh:  Glad to see you peeking in anyway, David.   :)

Marie

Can you believe it? I can't. I keep telling him to continue reading it, and he just doesn't want to! Will you tell him what he's missing by not reading this story, he's not listening to me anymore!

Yep, you stated that better than I did (and let's hope about the "positive for Jack" part!  ;D

Well, I'm one of those people who has always had sympathy for Alma, even in the OS - she really never did anything but marry a boy she loved.  But I do find I'm worrying about her even more in this story.  I think it's because she knows Jack in this story.  To use Kumari's own description - they are family to each other.  So she's not only being betrayed (and, yes, as much as I want J&E together -I can't deny that that's what they're doing) by her husband but by someone else that she loves....and trusts.  Another reason why I find this whole story so intriguing and so original - how will all of this play out? 

I was so deeply touched by Ennis's sincere devotion and love for Hank and how gentle and patient he was in caring for him, that I can't be upset with him for his reaction to Hank's death.  It seemed to me that he thought of Hank as the father he lost, more than a father-in-law. I do know what you mean - Alma was grieving too, of course - but I didn't see Ennis as consciously making it all about him instead of Alma - it was more that he was so lost in his own grief.  Ennis is always taking care of people in this story - always worrying about someone else and he never (until now) has thought much about himself or his feelings.  I keep thinking back to the famous "missed game" chapter where Ennis cries to Jack about how he took it like a man when his parents died, then asking "Why can't I have nobody" - that just broke my heart. 

God, I hope Abbey doesn't expect more from Ennis - he needs more guilt like a hole in the head!  I don't think on a conscious level Ennis realized he was using Abbey until the moment he was reflecting about it.  Ennis has been through an emotional earthquake in the last few chapters - his entire life and everything he always thought he knew about himself is upside down and inside out.  And where can he go?  What can he do?  Because his most trusted friend and confidant is the very person causing the upheaval.  To say that this is a complicated situation would be the understatement of the century! 
Well, look how I've rambled now!  LOL!  You're so right -  this is a story worth discussing because of all the thought put into it!

:-*
Marie

Ha Ha!  I was just about to post and I spotted David poking his head through the  door!   :laugh:  Come on in, David - are you reading this story, too? 

Oh God, Marie, you are making so much sense! Of course it's so much more the sense of betrayal, it's somebody she has known all those years and he is family! God, can you imagine that happening to you? It's such a different kind of betrayal than that in the OS.

Yes, it makes sense that he runs to somebody he doesn't have a bond with, because of what you said, he needs to clear his mind. It's definitely a complicated and confusing situation when you find yourself making out with your best friend in a shipyard after your father-in-law died. God, I loved that part in the last chapter by the way, I loved how Jack said how much he wished it would happen again, he was pushing forward because he wanted to feel Ennis's lips on his again. Damn, I love Jack.

I also loved how in chapter 6 he said that he felt happy when he first kissed Ennis and I feel that Jack is starting to feel happiness again now, because he also reached out to Bobby for the first time.

Mel  :-*

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2007, 04:25:09 pm »
Can you believe it? I can't. I keep telling him to continue reading it, and he just doesn't want to! Will you tell him what he's missing by not reading this story, he's not listening to me anymore!

Hmm ... well, he must have been listening a little if he's popping his head in the door!   ;) :laugh:  Maybe we can hook him again. 

Oh God, Marie, you are making so much sense! Of course it's so much more the sense of betrayal, it's somebody she has known all those years and he is family! God, can you imagine that happening to you? It's such a different kind of betrayal than that in the OS.

Yes, it makes sense that he runs to somebody he doesn't have a bond with, because of what you said, he needs to clear his mind. It's definitely a complicated and confusing situation when you find yourself making out with your best friend in a shipyard after your father-in-law died. God, I loved that part in the last chapter by the way, I loved how Jack said how much he wished it would happen again, he was pushing forward because he wanted to feel Ennis's lips on his again. Damn, I love Jack.

I also loved how in chapter 6 he said that he felt happy when he first kissed Ennis and I feel that Jack is starting to feel happiness again now, because he also reached out to Bobby for the first time.

Mel  :-*

No, I can't imagine it!  And isn't it a testament to how much we love J&E and how well-written this story is that we are actually rooting for J&E to get together!  And I keep focusing on Alma - but how about Lureen?  I remember back a few chapters when Abbey first came into the picture and Jack was teasing Ennis that Abbey was paying attention to him.  And then we hear Ennis thinking that he didn't believe Jack had ever cheated on Lureen and something about if Jack did then Lureen would make sure he was living in a cardboard box without a dick (or something to that effect).  Pretty funny line - but I also don't think it's too far from the truth. 

And, yeah, I get all gooey and teary thinking of Jack finding such pure happiness in the moment of that kiss.  Jack is always irresistible - but this CY Jack is particularly irresistible!  ("The Master of Parallel Parking" LOL!) And, yep, this also seems to be having a positive effect on Jack's relationship with Bobby and I love seeing that, but what will happen if Bobby finds out about Jack and Ennis?  What would his reaction be?  And how about Ennis's girls?  God, my head hurts thinking about the shock waves running through those families.   

But, I'm getting way ahead of myself - we haven't even seen J&E together again since the night in the shipyard (and how did that night end I wonder? what other words were exchanged? what did they say when Jack dropped Ennis off at home?)  Gah ... I want to know everything all at once and we'll probably have to wait another month or so to find out just a little . . . . We'll just have to spend our time thinking about it!  :laugh:  (Well, I'll be thinking - you have a story to finish - and another to begin!)

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

mvansand76

« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2007, 05:30:20 pm »
Hmm ... well, he must have been listening a little if he's popping his head in the door!   ;) :laugh:  Maybe we can hook him again. 

No, I can't imagine it!  And isn't it a testament to how much we love J&E and how well-written this story is that we are actually rooting for J&E to get together!  And I keep focusing on Alma - but how about Lureen?  I remember back a few chapters when Abbey first came into the picture and Jack was teasing Ennis that Abbey was paying attention to him.  And then we hear Ennis thinking that he didn't believe Jack had ever cheated on Lureen and something about if Jack did then Lureen would make sure he was living in a cardboard box without a dick (or something to that effect).  Pretty funny line - but I also don't think it's too far from the truth. 

And, yeah, I get all gooey and teary thinking of Jack finding such pure happiness in the moment of that kiss.  Jack is always irresistible - but this CY Jack is particularly irresistible!  ("The Master of Parallel Parking" LOL!) And, yep, this also seems to be having a positive effect on Jack's relationship with Bobby and I love seeing that, but what will happen if Bobby finds out about Jack and Ennis?  What would his reaction be?  And how about Ennis's girls?  God, my head hurts thinking about the shock waves running through those families.   

But, I'm getting way ahead of myself - we haven't even seen J&E together again since the night in the shipyard (and how did that night end I wonder? what other words were exchanged? what did they say when Jack dropped Ennis off at home?)  Gah ... I want to know everything all at once and we'll probably have to wait another month or so to find out just a little . . . . We'll just have to spend our time thinking about it!  :laugh:  (Well, I'll be thinking - you have a story to finish - and another to begin!)

Marie

Well, yes, we will have to find ways to convince David to start reading again!

Oh yes, then there's Lureen. Ha, I think that's exactly the way she will be reacting when she finds out about this. I think that's a reason that Jack is building this house maybe, although I wonder how much forethought he must've had to build something just for himself. Mmmm.... something else to think about! LOL! She is very different from Alma and will react differently too, that's for sure.

God, yes, I am such a romantic, I loooooved that first kiss, I'm a sucker for reading about first kisses. I have just written the first kiss for my new story and I keep rereading and rewriting it to make it just right because it's such an important moment! Between Jack and Ennis it is always special. I remember in CY 5, Jack thought that he was not gonna screw up the one pure thing in his life, and then he pulled away from Ennis and walked to the livingroom. I did wonder about that sentence in the next chapter, because he wasn't thinking about screwing up their friendship anymore by then, because he knew there was no way back from what they did (actually, I think they could still have played that off as something that happened because of the emotions, but after the whole shipyard deal, there really was no way they could go back to being best friends only.

I keep thinking Bobby's reaction will be the most mellow, because he's always felt different than other people and misunderstood.

Oh yes, how did their night at the shipyard end? I wonder about that too! I was hoping the chapter was gonna start with that, to be honest, but I knew it wasn't going to... We have to fill it in ourselves I guess... No problem!  :laugh: I think they might have been pretty quiet, kept on kissing for a while as Jack returned the favor (ha!) and then started getting cold and walk back to the car in silence and drive back. They probably didn't talk about it, how could they after this, I don't think they were gonna have rational conversations about this.

This is fun!!!

Mel

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2007, 11:25:37 am »
This is fun!!!

Yep, this is fun!   :D

.... but after the whole shipyard deal, there really was no way they could go back to being best friends only. .

Nope, no going back now. They definitely reached a point of no return at the shipyard. 

I keep thinking Bobby's reaction will be the most mellow, because he's always felt different than other people and misunderstood.

What a great insight, Mel.  That is so true.  And what about Bobby and his relationship with "AJ"? From the conversations Bobby had with Jack and Ennis had with Junior they seem to be pretty tight.  In fact, they seem to be whole lot closer than both sets of parents realized.  I can't help but believe that will be a factor, but I'm not sure how. 

Oh yes, how did their night at the shipyard end? I wonder about that too! I was hoping the chapter was gonna start with that, to be honest, but I knew it wasn't going to... We have to fill it in ourselves I guess... No problem!  :laugh: I think they might have been pretty quiet, kept on kissing for a while as Jack returned the favor (ha!) and then started getting cold and walk back to the car in silence and drive back. They probably didn't talk about it, how could they after this, I don't think they were gonna have rational conversations about this.

Oh, thanks for that, Mel!  No, I knew this chapter wasn't going to pick up again in the shipyard. It felt right for that chapter to end exactly where it did (with the perfect bookend "...Ennis...." Guh.).  Being a wonderful writer yourself, you've completeld the scene perfectly.  You're right - that was not a time for a rational conversation.  But now I'm dying for any kind of conversation between J&E, rational or otherwise (okay, that's  a lie  ::) - I'm dying for a lot more than a conversation between these two!  :laugh:).  But since Kumari is such a smart writer I know she'll let this story develop at the proper pace - and that's probably going to be pretty frustrating for everyone involved.  No quick or easy solutions here, that's for sure. 

Thanks, Mel  :-*
Marie

mvansand76

« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2007, 06:36:48 am »

What a great insight, Mel.  That is so true.  And what about Bobby and his relationship with "AJ"? From the conversations Bobby had with Jack and Ennis had with Junior they seem to be pretty tight.  In fact, they seem to be whole lot closer than both sets of parents realized.  I can't help but believe that will be a factor, but I'm not sure how. 

Oh, thanks for that, Mel!  No, I knew this chapter wasn't going to pick up again in the shipyard. It felt right for that chapter to end exactly where it did (with the perfect bookend "...Ennis...." Guh.).  Being a wonderful writer yourself, you've completeld the scene perfectly.  You're right - that was not a time for a rational conversation.  But now I'm dying for any kind of conversation between J&E, rational or otherwise (okay, that's  a lie  ::) - I'm dying for a lot more than a conversation between these two!  :laugh:).  But since Kumari is such a smart writer I know she'll let this story develop at the proper pace - and that's probably going to be pretty frustrating for everyone involved.  No quick or easy solutions here, that's for sure. 

Thanks, Mel  :-*
Marie

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about that! There might be more going on than they know.

The proper pace developing is pretty frustrating because we have to wait two months between updates. :laugh: No way you are gonna be able to turn over the page and continue reading and that's sooooo annoying! Somehow I think the next time they are gonna meet they are not gonna be alone, it's gonna be some family gathering or something and Jack will drag him somewhere to talk, because Ennis is not gonna be the one to initiate talking I think. Or they will go to a game, I don't know, but it's fun speculating, isn't it?

God, I keep thinking of the playful and easy banter between them in the first chapters and how I hope they will still be able to be best friends if they are lovers, because that makes the best relationships, doesn't it?

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2007, 10:35:39 am »

. . . . . Somehow I think the next time they are gonna meet they are not gonna be alone, it's gonna be some family gathering or something and Jack will drag him somewhere to talk, because Ennis is not gonna be the one to initiate talking I think. Or they will go to a game, I don't know, but it's fun speculating, isn't it? 

Yes, it is fun speculating. You're definitely right about Jack initiating the next conversation - well, at least the next conversation about what's happened between them! 

God, I keep thinking of the playful and easy banter between them in the first chapters and how I hope they will still be able to be best friends if they are lovers, because that makes the best relationships, doesn't it?   

Oh, absolutely.  How I adored listening in on those great conversations between these two - really something special.  Now we just need to combine that kind of rapport with great sex and -  WOW!!! :o  :laugh:

Marie

mvansand76

« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2007, 11:23:27 am »
Yes, it is fun speculating. You're definitely right about Jack initiating the next conversation - well, at least the next conversation about what's happened between them! 

Oh, absolutely.  How I adored listening in on those great conversations between these two - really something special.  Now we just need to combine that kind of rapport with great sex and -  WOW!!! :o  :laugh:

Marie

I haven't read anything else by Kumari, but I've heard she is pretty good at the lovemaking scenes! So I think when the time finally comes when they first cross that line (in about half a year, 3 more chapters away.. LOL), then we will probably have to keep the defibrilator very close, whaddayathink?

;)

:-* Mel

PS. I once heard a quote in a movie about someone who always read the ending of a book because he never knew for sure if he would live to read the ending. Well, it just got me to thinking with this irregular updating... :-\

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2007, 12:21:41 pm »
I haven't read anything else by Kumari, but I've heard she is pretty good at the lovemaking scenes! So I think when the time finally comes when they first cross that line (in about half a year, 3 more chapters away.. LOL), then we will probably have to keep the defibrilator very close, whaddayathink?

OMG, Mel - you're right.  Keeping with the pace of the story that's been set and keeping with the update "schedule" - it will be Christmas!!!  :laugh:  Oh, well - I'll  just think of it as a great Christmas present to look forward to!  And if the shipyard scene is any indication, yeah - maybe I should put a defibrilator on my Christmas list   ;)

PS. I once heard a quote in a movie about someone who always read the ending of a book because he never knew for sure if he would live to read the ending. Well, it just got me to thinking with this irregular updating... :-\ 

LOL! I'm glad you pointed this out because this is just the kind of crazy thought that passes through my crazy mind.  I don't read endings first - but I am a very fast reader.  Of course, as you've pointed out - being a fast reader doesn't help when you don't have the next chapter yet!   :-\  :laugh:

Marie