Author Topic: Jakes New Movie - "Zodiac"  (Read 9119 times)

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Jakes New Movie - "Zodiac"
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2007, 09:49:30 pm »
I just came from seeing the film and really enjoyed it.  It was a very intelligent and intense film experience, probably more so as it's based on real life events..  Jake is pretty much side-lined in the first half of the film but he's by far the lead character in the second half.  I strongly recommend the film.  Beautiful shots of the Bay area, excellent attn to details of the time period.   It was a long movie, but I wasn't bored once and I didn't see anyone walk out.  Jake gave a fine portrayal of a mild mannered newspaper cartoonist who becomes obsessed with the case.

Yes, I hope all Brokies make an effort to see this movie.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2007, 10:09:21 pm »

Well i am really glad to see a report on the movie by a real person.  The
critics have been very kind.  The movie looks intense, and very interesting.
I cant wait.  I am going tomorrow.  I have been looking at the different
trailers.  They are very good also.. So im glad you say that you liked it a lot.
As truman said here on the forum.  Seems like we have been waiting for a
lifetime for this film... Its good to know the wait will have been worth it.

janice

Beautiful mind

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2007, 12:04:35 am »
I saw Zodiac today.  It was a good movie.  I was expecting it to be more of a thriller, but actually im glad i wasnt scared out of my wits throughout the whole movie.  The beginning is a bit horrid.

Robert Downey Jr. and Jake have very good chemistry working together on this film.  Jake was quite the boyscout and very innocent i think.  Robert Downey Jr's. character was anything but innocent, and easily overlooked by Jakey's character as they forged a working, social relationship. 

I think their real lives parallel with the lives of the characters they play in Zodiac.  Jake being the good boy, as i see him, and Downey Jr being the rebel, as everyone knows he is.   

It would have been interesting if we saw little bit more of Jake's social life, but the Zodiac was Robert Graysmith's  life.  Robert Downey Jr. did an excellent job acting.  I was really impressed with his portrayal of the character he played, though it wasnt far from his real life. 

I dont have much to say about Ruffeo's character..his acting was good.  Its ashame he didnt crack the case.  So close though.

Zodiac is not an award winning film IMHO, but its very interesting and leaves you thinking..  the whole acting ensamble together really were a great team..  i give it an A, and hope read both books..

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2007, 12:12:55 am »
Alex and I have decided to stay in town and we're planning to see it tomorrow! I can't wait!  :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline lil darlin

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2007, 01:16:42 am »
I conned my friend Vikki into seeing Zodiac with me, because i didn't want to go alone.  We went after school today  She was more creeped out about the killings in the beginning.   I was expecting that since i saw the previews and she hadn't.  Also i lived in SF during the Zodiac time frame so i knew that would be part of the story line. 

The ensemble cast did a fine job.  Their interactions were believable.  I think each part was cast just right.  I just didn't know the actress who played Jake's wife.  Of course my focus was on Jake.  I thought he was superb in his roll as a naive newspaper cartoonist in the beginning then taking it into the depths of his obsession with having to know exactly who the Zodiac was.

I thought it was creepy when it seemed that the Zodiac was stalking Graysmith with all the calls. I also thought that Leigh having all of those squirrels in his trailer was odd. 

All in all, i will probably take Kurt to see it,  since I'd like to see Jake again.  I will be seeing Zodiac and my recordings of his TV appearances this past week, again, since those are the latest of Jake i can get.   They are still new, so thats good for me.  I'm happy I got to see Jake on the opening day. 

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2007, 09:54:39 pm »
I actually saw it twice at the theater this past weekend.  The first time with my husband, and then I went back on Sunday to watch it alone without the stress of someone else's expectations.  And because I'm pathetic and have no life.

;)

I thought it was very well-done and probably (no, definitely) the most realistic true-crime movie I've ever seen.  My favorite aspect of it was the relationship between Robert Graysmith and Paul Avery (Robert Downey, Jr.).  I wish we could have seen more of that, but there are so many intricate details to provide that understandably Fincher could only spend so much time on it.

I've come away from it wanting to know more about both of those two.  I plan to buy a copy of Graysmith's book Zodiac.  Or maybe as an homage to him, I should take them out (legally) from the library.
No more beans!