Author Topic: Ennis's Hillside Thoughts....  (Read 2168 times)

Offline THE WINGS

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Ennis's Hillside Thoughts....
« on: February 22, 2007, 11:59:00 pm »
As Ennis sat on the hill overlooking their camp, which Jack was dismantling now, because of Aguirre's "bring 'em down" order, he felt a sense of uneasiness.  He realized that his whole life had changed in the two months he and Jack had been herding sheep together.  His "new" life seemed  at once  frightening,  yet at the same time more fulfilling, and almost settled, as he and Jack became comfortable in their daily routine, and ultimately, with each other.  Their several intimate moments were now etched in his memory, as he watched Jack continue in his work, and he wondered to himself, "What the hell am I gonna do now?"  Ennis felt a sense of sadness come over him, as he realized for the first time, that Jack was dismantling what had essentially been "their home" for the past several weeks.  "I'm supposed to marry Alma in three months, and I don't know if I can go through with it now, but I made a promise, so what else can I do?"

Then Ennis remembered that blissful moment, when he came up behind Jack, as he was sleeping on his feet, and how it felt so right.  These warm feelings for another human being, in that shared embrace, were something that Ennis had never experienced before. Jack was THE person that he felt totally comfortable with.

Ennis now felt so confused, and conflicted in his feelings, but he knew one thing for sure, that he didn't want to be heading down from Brokeback Mountain so soon.  He felt somehow robbed, not only of a month's pay, but of precious time, the time that he and Jack could have continued to spend together.  Even though he couldn't find the courage come out and say it, he realized for the very first time, that he had actually fallen in love, with his friend, this talkative, impulsive, "rodeo f***- up, Jack Twist.

Just then, he saw Jack coming up the hill, swinging his rope, as he said....

THE WINGS

« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 12:04:15 am by THE WINGS »

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: Ennis's Hillside Thoughts....
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 02:35:20 pm »
Thanks for sharing that - I always love getting into Ennis's mind and that was very nicely done!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain