Author Topic: My passion for BBM - the ultimate (so far) story  (Read 6625 times)

Offline luigival

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
Re: My passion for BBM - the ultimate (so far) story
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2006, 08:57:54 am »
Just bumping as yesterday I added the third chapter, but apparently no one noticed
They were two friends of mine

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2006, 09:21:12 am »
Just bumping as yesterday I added the third chapter, but apparently no one noticed

Whoops, you're right luigival - somehow, no notification.

LOL - This is a great episode, those poor ladies didn't know what hit them, just divine.  But I wonder what happened to the gossip on the way out?  Changed somehow???

One serious question though, I know that when I watch non-English films I always prefer to listen with the original dialogue with subtitles rather than hear a dub.  I do this a lot on DVD, and I check the sound before going to the cinema.  I know you said that you have great voice-actors for this job, but do you really have the same level of enjoyment in both versions given that you can understand both English and Italian?
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline luigival

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2006, 09:57:31 am »
You're right Chris!
the original - particularly in this case - is always better, so I prefer to see it in English (check out the next episodes to know more about my viewings in France).
Nevertheless the Italian public has been spoiled a lot by the tradition of dub for decades, so everybody expects the easy understanding bonus that only dub guarantees.
Ciao for now,
Luigi

PS: have NO idea about what those two ladies gossiped after seeing BBM... Maybe they were able to relate the story to some people they knew!

Offline luigival

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2006, 09:22:57 am »
And here we are, with part four (the French Chapter) of my very personal story with BBM.

As usual, in the days immediately after the viewing, I mingled with what were now my well known BBM-fever symptoms, mixing melancholy with sadness and regrets for all the opportunities I had missed along the road, and fighting with an overall difficulty in bearing all the burdens that everyday’s life continuosly brings forward, unabling us to think to what we really would like to.
But, something good was starting to blossom as well: My old time passion for cinema, which I had put aside for quite a number of years, was starting to resurface again. BBM had been such a great theatrical experience that ever since I saw it, I have been trying to go to the cinema as much as possible, as well as subscribing to Sky in order to make up part of the time lost in the last few years. The Motorcycle Diaries and Donnie Darko are just two of the “jewel” movies I saw recently - I had missed them when they were released – and they are already part of my best movies list.
But, back to BBM, I was soon to get a new theatrical experience. It happened that I was planning a few days in Nice, France, for a mix of business and pleasure, and BBM had already been released there and running in two different theatres. One cinema was offering the original version, the other the French dubbed one. I could even make a choice of language: great!
A quick check on the Allociné website enabled me to check the voices in the French-dubbed trailer: didn’t like them too much, so once in Nice I had no doubts: I would have opted for the original version again.
And there I was, at the “Cinema Rialto”, for the late viewing of February 8. No more than 20 viewers attending, and a very heterogenous mix of them. I’m quite sure most Niçois went to the other cinema, offering the French version. It was a “funny” public, participating in the story - pity we suffered two interruptions due to “technical” problems with the projector - and everybody around me - I had two gals behind my row, and a party of three guys to my left – really seemed to be deeply emotionally involved in what was happening on the screen.
Two days later I was there again, bewitched by the power of BBM, this time for the early afternoon viewing at 2pm, along with no more than 15 other viewers. This was possibly the saddest viewing I happened to take part, as a number of spectators started sobbing towards the end of the movie, and by the time the end titles were running a young lady was desperately crying.
I just sat there, as if I had been glued to my seat, feeling a huge burden on me, the voice of Rufus Wainwright singing the last lines of The Maker Makes, and almost unknowingly I decided to stay there, viewing BBM once again, two times in a row: I could do nothing else, but review it again immediately: it was an urgency I could do nothing but fulfil. Another first in my life!
And each viewing was bringing to me dozens of small details that Ang Lee had scattered here and there, and that I had missed in the previous viewings, but were all important to a better, if not complete, understanding of the story.
Overall I had the impression that truly in France BBM had been appreciated and loved. French people always seem to have a great relationship with romance. Ah, l’Amour!
- end of part four -

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2006, 10:54:34 am »
It's still interesting luigival, keep it up mate.  I particularly found the French-audience reactions cool to read.

Offline luigival

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2006, 01:25:25 pm »
Final installment, or part five of my BBM Saga: the second and final Italian experience.

A new trip to Catania in mid February provided the much needed chance to go back to that old and big cinema, for a new viewing. BBM was still playing there, but had been moved from the large viewing room - now dedicated to “Walk the line” - to the smaller one, and only another five viewers were there besides me.

But the true, genuine surprise, came when finally BBM arrived at the cinema in the town where I live, here in Sardinia. We were now already in mid March, and I was able to get to the local theatre with a movie buddy: my only shared BBM experience so far. Didn’t expect too many viewers that late afternoon, but when we got to the theatre where also Prime was playing, to my great surprise, we had to actually queue for entering as everybody seemed to be heading for BBM, leaving Prime almost deserted.
More or less 120 viewers were there, the cinema being almost full, and quite an interested and well-responding public too. My friend, a straight married guy, was caught by the story and liked it greatly: he confessed me he had preferred the first part of the story, with its Eden-like atmosphere. Pity the theatre operator cut almost completely the end titles, parting us from the two final songs. On exiting the comments I heard from anybody else around us, male or female, were enthusiastic:“Bello”, “Molto bello”, “Bellissimo”. Somebody was even calling friends on the cell phone to say how a beautiful movie BBM was. I couldn’t hear a single bad comment. And right on exiting, I met a colleague and his wife, whom I discovered had been somehow recently caught by a slight form of BBM-fever as well. For them it was the second viewing, and they both hadn’t anything else but enthusiastic words for the movie and the story. We laughed at a funny episode as they had bought a few days before an illegal copy of the DVD (which has not yet been released here in Italy), from a Napolitan guy. As they had imagined, though, it turned out to be a completely unviewable fake registered by using a cell phone during a viewing session at a cinema! People from Naples always surprise me for their creativity... At a Naples cinema where BBM was playing, they even invented the marketing glitch that to whoever declared being gay, entrance was free!!
BBM stayed at the local cinema here for the whole week, and I think was quite a success, but I didn’t have a chance to wiew it again.
Two days ago I finally received my original DVD copy, pre-ordered almost two months ago at Play.com - think shall inform that colleague to buy it - so can now cure my BBM fever at home, though the disease is now beginning to gradually fade away, somehow. Time and everyday life are undoubtedly the best cure for any kind of disease.

And so now here I stand, continuing my journey through life, sharing that feeling of some open space between what I know and what I try to believe. Forever.

Luigi

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2006, 02:05:26 am »
Well done Luigi, thanks for sharing your story.

Offline luigival

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2006, 01:04:34 pm »
Grazie Chris!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2007, 11:26:57 am »
Luigi's story, and he still comes back to post another chapter every once in a while...every four effing years months!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline luigival

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2007, 06:26:27 am »
Luigi's story, and he still comes back to post another chapter every once in a while...every four effing years months!

Yeah Lee, thank you so much for remembering me and requoting my story! Saw once more BBM yesterday evening - still on this month here in Italy on Sky TV, which has devoted the cover page of their monthly program guide to our beloved movie, electing it as the movie of the month -. Good to see BBM is still going so strong and making people still speak of it.
I wish I knew how to quit this story, ...but I can't!