Author Topic: My "Great White North"  (Read 388881 times)

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Sheriff's "Great White North"
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007, 10:29:19 pm »
you don't like mosquitoes?? come on...they only itch for a minute!!

:P

Maybe yer littl'ns, Over here they looove sweeet meeat like mine - and when one new bite starts up, a dozen former bites act up - so I itch all over - seriously, I'm a true victim! - hard ta explain, really, but a new bite could stay with me fer weeks!
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

injest

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2007, 10:35:32 pm »
sounds like you are allergic. definitely one of those that NEED to use OFF when you are outside.

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2007, 05:32:45 pm »
I love birch trees

2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2007, 06:21:03 pm »
Friend, I would like to share with you my first visit to the Dominion of Canada. It was the strangest 38 minutes I had lived until that point.

My nephew was going to school in Ann Arbor, Michigan, and after most of a day at the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, I pestered him to take us all to Canada so we could say we had been. He said okay, but under no circumstances were we to respond to the crossing guard that the purpose of our trip was to in anyway malign the Queen, as his buddy had been thrown in jail overnight for making an off color remark about her to a crossing guard.

So we went south to Canada, I know, but that was what we did, we drove south from Detroit to Windsor, Ontario. We passed from sky scrapers to neatly laid off squares and Esso Stations, something I had not seen in many years.

We drove down to a park on the river, a large convention center had a banner out that they were having a Star Trek Convention, right then, but no one seemed to be around except this 6 ft. 5 in. Amazon woman on rollerskates who was selling cans of coke from a cooler for a dollar each. She was my first exposure to the amazing mental gymnastics involved with currency exchange that it seems all in the public sector in Canada must be familiar with to function.

Walking thru the park there was a Mexican Gospel Mariachi Band playing, extolling the virtues of Jesus in Spanish, that got old quick, so we went down the street to a middle easter owned antique store. We were greeted at the door by the proprietor who was telling another man you had to watch every single person that comes in the shop because they will rob you blind and then turns to us, smiling, "welcome, please come in".

I puttered around and found an old tinted postcard of the Sunken Garden there in Windsor. I think it was 75 cents. I handed my American dollar to the nervous woman at the counter and she opened her cash register drawer, Canadian Money on one side, American Money on the other side, calculated the exchange in her head, wrote me out a hand written receipt that was larger than the post card, with the GST, PST and the other tax on it. (I later framed them together and hung it in my bedroom).

Exiting the store, we were soon followed by an obese couple with developmental disabilities, the woman practically yelling at the man: "It doesn't' matter, nothing will ever be the same again".

I told my nephew I was satisfied and hungry, lets go back.  8)

And that is my story.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

injest

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2007, 08:49:58 pm »
 :laugh: :laugh:

well at least you got to go outta the coutry!!

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2007, 08:57:57 pm »
Hey Tru

sounds like the story of this man I met in Detroit. Told me "Yea, I've been ta Canada. Went taTilbury"! (I didn't know WHAT he was talkin about) "You sure grow a lot a tobacco in Canada" he said.

He'd seen just a very small (not at all typical) part a the country - had travelled less than an hour in southern Ontario - and had assumed that the entire country was like that! (I know a lot about my country, and I wasn't even sure where Tilbury was, or where tobacco was grown in this country!!!)

What yer seein in this thread is typical of more than 3/4 of Ontario and Quebec and is aso very similar to about 85% of the maritimes (including Newfoundland and Labrador) an a good chunk a Manitoba too.

As the song said "I've been everywhere boy" (in North America, anyways) - even been ta prob'ly mor'n 20 American States

Really hard ta qualify the second largest country in the world with only a 35 minutes trip over the border (or even an hour!)

Offline Toast

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2007, 09:49:40 pm »
Roland, Roland, Roland

Your "Tilbury" friend in Detroit was probably following the words of a good Canadian.
Not my favourite music man, but he is(was) better than ok
He's still around.
The tobacco town he sang about was Tilsonburg
and I guess the guy in Detroit knew it - almost.

MMM did he visit or just hear the song, I wonder.

==================================

(Stompin') TOM CONNORS - Tilsonburg

Hey Tom, You ever been to Tilsonburg?
Tilsonburg? My back still aches when I hear that word
While, a way down Southern Ontario
I never had a nickle or a dime to show
A fella beeped up in an automobile
He said "You'll want to work in the Tobacco field's of

Tilsonburg [Tilsonburg] x2
My back still aches when I hear that word

He said I'll only give ya seven bucks a day
But if you're any good you'll get a raise in pay
Your beds already on the bunkhouse floor
If it gets a little chilly ya can close the door

I was feelin' in the morning anything but fine
The farmer said I'm gonna teach ya how to brame
He said ya gotta dawn a pair of oil skin pants
If ya want to work in the Tobacco plants of

We landed in a field that was long and wide
With one ol' horse and five more guys
I asked them where to find the cigarette trees
When he said bend over I was ready to leave

He said just to pick the bottom leaves
And don't start crawling on your hands and knees
Prime your load cause you'll get no pay
For standin' there pickin' at your nose all day 'round

With a broken back bendin' over there
I was wet right through to the underwear
And it was stuck to my skin like glue
From the nicotine tar on the morning dew of

Now the nearest river was two miles from
The place where they was waitin' for the boat to come
When I heard some talk of makin' the kill
I was down the highway and over the hill from

Now there is one thing you can always bet
If I never smoke another cigarette
I might get taken in alot of deals
But I won't go workin' the tobacco fields of

=============================
I enjoy the Americans who wander all over Newfoundland and Labrador, but they seem to have become rarer, and the braver types.  Too bad that more and more Americans are staying at home now.  I like them.

Love your photos.
And yes Roland, your photos do resemble many parts of Newfoundland and Labrador,
but not all parts of our province.
ps we do have the Atlantic Ocean.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 09:55:30 pm by Toast »

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2007, 08:48:38 am »
Since my initial visit I have spent several days in Montreal, visited Waterton Park in Alberta, and took a long rambling ride from Alaska thru Yukon, staying in Yellowknife, and back to Skagway. The Canadian Rockies are a breathtakingly beautiful place.

One of my favorite memories from that road trip was the Raven in Dawson City, walking down the middle of the street talking to him or herself.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2007, 09:14:07 am »
Sounds awsome Tru!

The west coast; been there on a couple a occasions, the last of which was over 20 years ago. (*As it really been that long? - yea 1986*)

I did my one and only cross country (american side) trip ta San Francisco (God was Utah beeyouteefull) on a motorcycle, and then up the Pacific coast ta British Columbia. For some reason, it rained somethin fierce drivin through Oregon and Washington - and the temperatures never climbed over 70 F so by the time I got ta Abbotsford, in BC, I just wanted ta get home! Didn't bother visitin Vancouver (they had the expo that year!) Drove through the (Canadian) Rockies and Prairies at a pace that didn't allow fer much sight seein ...

Am planin a trip ta the Alberta reunion this July though - haven't finalized - drivin, takin the train, or flyin yet - but I'm definitively goin!

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2007, 01:15:44 pm »
Hey Toast,

Been lookin at a map online.

Tilbury's (pop 4 500) only 'bout 50 km(30m) from the Canadian/American boarder (south a lake St. Clair), while Tillsonburg (pop 14 000) is east a London, near Guelph. Been ta Paris Ontario pretty frequently in the past 5 years (only 40km/25 m north east aTillsonburg), and didn't see any tobacco growin out there. Maybe there useta be some, 30 years ago when Tom was writin most a his songs, or possibly Tom used the similar soundin name a town, to suit his rhymes.

Tilbury area farm - notice how flat it is!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 01:29:46 pm by Sheriff Roland »