Author Topic: My "Great White North"  (Read 388993 times)

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: My "Great White North"
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2007, 04:01:37 pm »
A while ago, I posted a picture of the lake from the Rod & Gun, looking towards the former family property (including a close up).

Well here now's the view from the property (still on the dock) lookin across the lake towards the Rod & Gun. (close up to follow)

2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2007, 07:03:08 am »
I don't know what I did (prob'ly adjusted the focus) but the Rod 'n Gun looks closer on this picture, taken a little further, along the house.

2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2007, 06:48:31 am »
Here's the close-up of the Rod 'n Gun from the last photo.

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2007, 04:18:04 pm »
Almost done with last summer's pics. this is the mansion, as seen from the dirt road. In the 60's the cottage, as I recall, was hardly visible though the natural vegetation (and the driveway was on the left side a the house)

Practically looks like a city house, don't it?

Can't believe they think of this as paradise - reminds me a Joni Mitchell's 'Big Yellow Taxi lyrics'"

'They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot'
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 08:28:10 pm by Sheriff Roland »

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2007, 10:39:50 am »
The dirt road forked up right in front of our entrance - straight ahead in this view, is the dead end (a few other cottages), left takes ya to where the two lakes are joined by the little creek (not very far away) where the first pictures of this thread were taken.

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2007, 08:34:24 am »
Here's the last picture I took during that trip last summer - last picture from the Timmins area for a while. Might be posting some pics here from my garden, once it starts up again - take you through the various growing periods fer the different perennials Bryan's planned in my garden. Also, I'm still expecting to make the Alberta pigramage - so more pics from that will likely show up here later this summer.

Just a lovely picture I took from the road in the Star Lake area ... (musta been 8 pm or later by his time)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2007, 11:12:11 am »
These are beautiful pictures, Roland!  Thank you for sharing them with us.  I especially love the lake pictures.

I've loved Canada the couple of times I visited.  We drove up to Vancouver from Seattle one year to go to Whistler/Blackcomb for skiing four or five years ago.

And we drove up from Vermont to Montreal one April probably 10+ years ago when the weather turned too warm to ski and all the snow melted.  I didn't think we were ever going to get there...flat flat farmland, but so green you're blinded.  It was my birthday so we splurged on fancy restaurants and pastries and wandered the beautiful cobblestone streets.  Everyone we met was welcoming and nice.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2007, 11:32:36 am »
Why - Thang Kew, Lynne

I've not travelled extensively west of Ontario (but I've been to just about every corner of Ontario & Québec) and about the prettiest area I've enjoyed is the Gaspé Penninsula. Even Québecois (I know, I have relatives) don't appear ta be aware a the beauty to be found on the south shores of the St-Laurent River and Gulf. Most people go through the park that cuts through the penninsula ta get ta the Maritimes or to Percé.

Oh, and of course, P.E.I. is truly precious. They say that Cape Breton Island is spectacular too, but it's always been outta reach, in my travels.

Seems like we're gonna be rediscoverin the Rockies together, come July!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2007, 11:45:49 am »
Seems like we're gonna be rediscoverin the Rockies together, come July!

Absolutely!  I'm going to try to get one of those Lonely Planet travel books next week and get busy on planning my camping and other lodging.

My good friend Gary and his fiancee have explored Alberta, spent a lot of time in Banff, and also Newfoundland and PEI, I believe.  I get postcards and am always jealous!  I need to get after him to post some of his Alberta pictures here, or somehow share them with me so I can post them - generate some excitement!  As a matter a fact, I'm sending him some email next!

Their wedding is in late September in Northhampton, MA - wouldn't miss it for the world, so I guess I'll fly into Boston, although I know Hartford would be a bit closer.  I want to reconnect with some Boston friends then head west.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2007, 06:48:53 am »
Some practice run 'sunrise project' pics:

huge dif'rence between the 6:15 picture & the 6:30 picture!