Author Topic: My "Great White North"  (Read 391752 times)

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: My "Great White North"
« Reply #100 on: May 09, 2007, 07:25:07 pm »
those are gorgeous....the pink ones...are they red in the middle? cause on my screen they look like they might have a bit there... :laugh: :laugh:

The camera lightens up the colour some. To the naked eye, they're more purple. Inside they're white.

BTW....I am looking good out there in your yard!!

Can't say I understand what that means  :-\
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

injest

« Reply #101 on: May 09, 2007, 09:08:02 pm »
The camera lightens up the colour some. To the naked eye, they're more purple. Inside they're white.

BTW....I am looking good out there in your yard!!

Can't say I understand what that means  :-\

You posted a pic of JESS and Thelma and Louise!

I was makin a joke!

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #102 on: May 09, 2007, 09:12:42 pm »
You posted a pic of JESS and Thelma and Louise!

I was makin a joke!

Well you got that wrong - The three plants were indeed in the ground, but not when I took that picture. Those three plants are more mature than the 3 new plants (and when ya see em next to those, they look sickly - will need some time to aclimatize to the new surroundings.)
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

injest

« Reply #103 on: May 09, 2007, 09:15:59 pm »
This is the 4th of 4 pics taken Sunday. Sun was going down and I couldn't get that angle without my shadow in the picture (sorry).

There have already been two other varieties of tulips openin up since then, and those pretty yellow one from last week are already looking pretty raggedy. The mid 20's temperatures (apr. 75*F) are going to shorten the duration of the show.

This is the first time ya get to see the new hole-in-the-ground where I've now planted Jess, Thelma & Louise (bottom right hand corner.)
This is the best view so far of the steepness of the slope, which allows for such a great view from my place (specially when we get thunderstorms!)

gee how could I have made THAT mistake... ::) ::)

:laugh:

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #104 on: May 10, 2007, 05:14:59 am »
Back to the front yard, and a bi-colour (if white is a colour) red/white tulip - in the main flowerbed again. They're rather small, really, and in the background, one of 3 patches of phlox ... more ta come on that

« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 09:14:41 pm by Sheriff Roland »

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #105 on: May 10, 2007, 06:39:24 pm »
a wider view of the main flower bed.

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #106 on: May 11, 2007, 03:23:59 am »
Tried ta take both the phlox & the one surviving (the others have all gone red) bi-colour orage/red tulip

and got neither quite as clearly as I'd hoped!

« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 09:14:04 pm by Sheriff Roland »

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #107 on: May 11, 2007, 05:03:35 pm »
This is one of 5 diff'rent areas where these grape hyacinth are growing - best cluster though - & it's in the jungle bed, next to the stoop.Those fat stems behind and above the flowers are chives. Both the chives & the grape hyacinths have been in that same bed fer about a decade.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 07:10:51 pm by Sheriff Roland »

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #108 on: May 12, 2007, 03:36:13 am »
When the gardner (usta have an italian ol man who wanted ta grow veggies in my back yard - long story) replaced my cherry tree with an apple tree, he placed an old tire in the ground around the trunk a that tree. A couple a years ago, I moved some violas into that mostly dry bit of dirt. Violas, being a hearty plant have now taken over that underused little space in a rather pleasant lookin way.

injest

« Reply #109 on: May 12, 2007, 06:01:39 am »
Tried ta take both the flox& the one surviving (the others have all gone red) bi-colour orage/red tulip

and got neither quite as clearly as I'd hoped!

you mean they turn red as they age or that the others come out as red now?

(that flox looks so fragile!)