Author Topic: My "Great White North"  (Read 389007 times)

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: My "Great White North"
« Reply #120 on: May 15, 2007, 07:10:45 pm »
Took a half dozen pics tryin ta get the camera ta focus on the foreground flowers ...

You may nor believe this, but this plant is called 'lung wart'. Isn't that the name a one a the plants used in "The Nightmare Before Christmas"?

Another plant growing in the non flower-bed behind the house.

2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

injest

« Reply #121 on: May 15, 2007, 07:17:16 pm »
Ok LOOK...How big IS this yard!?? You got TONS of stuff in it!

each prettier or more interesting than the last!

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #122 on: May 15, 2007, 07:31:01 pm »
You've seen pics a my front yard:

Here's one I took a the back yard that same day, from off my property - it's quite a narrow yard, really.

2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

injest

« Reply #123 on: May 15, 2007, 07:36:36 pm »
well you sure have done a great job with it...you and Bryan!

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #124 on: May 15, 2007, 09:57:12 pm »
Sherriff Roland tell me something. What up with this Victoria day you all having next Monday. Was it the ole' gals birthday? Do you all ever have Victor day?
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #125 on: May 15, 2007, 10:52:09 pm »
Who the Hell knows - It's like that mid summer holiday - don't celebrate Simcoe day in August either - to me it's just a civic holiday - I'm french!

In our traditions (and apparently, not a lot a my french coworkers/teachers know this) we celebrate Dollars des Ormeaux in french ontario.

Here's a quote from a history blurb of French Canadian history:

"Le 21 mai 1660 passe dans l'histoire comme le jour où Dollard des Ormeaux sauva la Nouvelle-France."

Against the attack by hundreds of Iroquois, Dollard and his handful of volunteers fought to the death.

"The Iroquois returned to their villages disturbed by the fact that they had lost more than eighty warriors against such a small number of defenders. The fear of suffering significant loss in an attack by the men of New-France discourages the Iroquois from attacking again." (loose translation)

However, I guess I haven't answered your question - There has never been a Victor quite as important in our (english) history, as Queen Victoria, and so she remains the subject of most Canadian's reason for a holiday next Monday.

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #126 on: May 16, 2007, 07:08:02 am »
Sorry Shakes - The last post (my response) was needlessly cold - part a the anti anglo in me - a knee jerk reaction

This next pic is just an update of the lillies flowerbed - newly created last summer. Even Bryan is impressed by the production happenin in this part od the garden - Be a couple a weeks before this becomes a WOW! bed.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #127 on: May 16, 2007, 09:59:27 am »
No worries, I had not thought about the difference and all. I also never knew there was a French part of Ontario, thank you for the new wrinkle on my brain.

Love your garden, how is the pollen?

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #128 on: May 16, 2007, 12:09:31 pm »
No worries, I had not thought about the difference and all. I also never knew there was a French part of Ontario, thank you for the new wrinkle on my brain.

Love your garden, how is the pollen?

Thank you, glad you like it! But you'll notice they're mostly just close ups so far.

Since there's nothing much yet (except tulips, really) I haven't heard anyone complain about pollen problems (although, Bryan's having spring time allergies of some sort - for the first time). I suffer from fall allergies - thought to be 'goldenrod' related!

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #129 on: May 16, 2007, 06:05:56 pm »
I gave up on Tulips, the deer would not even let them bloom.