Author Topic: My "Great White North"  (Read 388984 times)

injest

Re: My "Great White North"
« Reply #200 on: June 03, 2007, 02:55:38 pm »
Here's one of my sweet girl holding some Iris' she picked to take to Church

she is gorgeous, Lee..just a sweetheart

injest

« Reply #201 on: June 03, 2007, 02:58:36 pm »
Sarah Burnhart Peonies - can you smell em?

almost!! they are (again) beautiful I want to come sit in your yard on a cool Canadian morning and sip a Coke while we watch the passerbys!

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #202 on: June 03, 2007, 06:09:24 pm »

Did you get your puppy?  I want to see pictures of the two of you,, and watch you play with her.  I know you are going to have a love of your life with her...Puppies are the best...  share share

Beautiful mind

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #203 on: June 03, 2007, 06:20:34 pm »

Did you get your puppy?  I want to see pictures of the two of you,, and watch you play with her.  I know you are going to have a love of your life with her...Puppies are the best...  share share

Most puppy news are found on the Tack & Feed thread or on the Bar & Grill Thread.

Latest news is that Pitou will not arrive until this coming Friday (the 8th). Jess has been posting pictures of Pitou almost every day in the Bar & Grill.

You can be sure that there will be lotsa puppy/Sheriff pics this summer.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #204 on: June 03, 2007, 10:46:07 pm »
Counted 30 blossoms opened on that one bush(with probably as many still to come!) - each flower has a diamater of some 20 cm (8")

2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #205 on: June 04, 2007, 04:21:54 am »
Close-up a just one a em Sarah Burnhart blooms

injest

« Reply #206 on: June 04, 2007, 08:26:42 am »
I may have found a new favorite flower! I wonder if they would grow down here??

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #207 on: June 04, 2007, 08:58:31 am »
she is gorgeous, Lee..just a sweetheart

Thanks Jess!  ;D
I sure think so!
Sheriff, Your flowers are just beautiful!
I love Peonies!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #208 on: June 04, 2007, 09:22:15 am »
Hey Jess

I googles about when to seperate peonies and look what I came accross:

Q: I live in southeast Texas. I dug up one of my mom's peonies in southwest Missouri. They are at least 80 yrs. old. The peonies in MO are dormant this time of year (of course). Is there anything special I should do? Should I plant them now or should I put them in the refrigerator until spring and plant them then? Will they grow in southeast Texas? When should I see blooms?

A: Yes, you can grow peonies there. You should plant them right away. Find a place where they will get lots of sun, but not totally fried. When you plant them, remove any of the old decayed roots and seperate them into smaller chunks if you still have them in the whole big bunch. They need to be planted with the eye where the stem is going to come out, just barely below the surface of the soil.
Add some bonemeal and compost in the bottom of the hole before your place your peony, then put the dirt in around it. Make sure you have packed the soil tightly so there are no air pockets left. Give it a good soaking, and there you are!
If you plant them too deep, they will not bloom. They may not bloom this first year, as they have been shocked, but will bloom after that.

Now here's my two cents ... buy them from a local plant distributor - the good ones usually have people who know and can give advice. I'm pretty certain the very scented ones you've seen here are indeed called Sarah Burnhart, but I'm not sure of the spelling.

Dependin on the maturity of the plant, expect ta pay anywhere from 10$ to 25$ for one pot. They only bloom for a few days per year (possibly extending to a couple a weeks), but they do come back larger than ever every year. (and they don't much like rain on the flowers) You gotta water them regularly!

Bill musta had 2 or 3 dozen varieties out on his farm... I've only got 7 plants.

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #209 on: June 04, 2007, 03:49:03 pm »
Took this one when the light was low outside - turned out much redder than it should have - but it's a right pretty colour nonetheless - part of the many iris I moved to the back yard while I was improving a front yard flowerbed last year - Don't know where or when I'm gonna put these 5 or 6 dozen plants!  :-\