Author Topic: Quicksilver  (Read 24643 times)

Offline Adiabatic

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Quicksilver, Dead Horse Road, and The Wind Rivers
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2007, 10:58:50 pm »
Fast or slow, I just like the direction you’re bumping.

Perhaps it will serve to prod encourage the author to scribble more quickly.

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: update. chp. 6 Quicksilver, Dead Horse Road, and The Wind Rivers
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2007, 09:45:45 pm »
Fast or slow, I just like the direction you’re bumping.

Perhaps it will serve to prod encourage the author to scribble more quickly.

Well, it sure wasn't quick, but the new chapter's here.
http://jtsbar.livejournal.com/

Hope you enjoy it
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline coffeecat33

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2007, 11:47:12 am »
Bump

- because it's worth it.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2007, 09:23:06 am »
Bump

- because it's worth it.

You can say that again.  Thanks for the bump that brought this to my attention.

fernly, I read "Quicksilver" late last night - was enthralled from the first word and couldn't stop reading.  I haven't read any other story that covers this time period or perspective and you've done it perfectly.  Your prose is exquisite - a pure joy to read.  Looking forward to more!

Thank you,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2007, 02:37:13 pm »
Leslie (coffeecat) and Marie,

Thank you so much for your very kind words. I'm really glad you're enjoying the stories.
The next chapter is taking shape (though, as always, slowly...)

Fern

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2007, 09:44:26 pm »
I haven't read any other story that covers this time period or perspective and you've done it perfectly.  Your prose is exquisite - a pure joy to read.  Looking forward to more! Thank you,  Marie

With the amount of detail you include, I'm not surprised your chapters take shape slowly. I really liked Dead Horse Road and The Wind Rivers but Quicksilver is - as Marie said - exquisite. -Leslie

here's a couple photos of our Jack

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2007, 09:46:57 pm »
Fern,
Did you say you titled your story "Quicksilver" because of a remark by Annie P. re: Jake as Jack?  If so, what was that reference?
Leslie.

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2007, 10:14:28 pm »
Quote from: coffeecat33
Fern,
Did you say you titled your story "Quicksilver" because of a remark by Annie P. re: Jake as Jack?  If so, what was that reference?
Leslie.

It was in her wonderful interview with a public radio station, KCRW. Here's the link: http://www.kcrw.com/etc/programs/bw/bw060119annie_proulx

I thought the word fit Jack, and Jake in the role, so perfectly. And the scene where Lureen sees Jack at the window and sees him as quicksilver, well, that was the first clear image/metaphor I had of the story, and I was writing toward it for a very long time.

Thank you for the pictures :D and your generous comments. The details come from a lot of research (including going to rodeos and taking riding lessons - oh, the sacrifices we fic writers have to make ;D)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 10:23:09 pm by fernly »

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2007, 07:44:53 pm »
It was in her wonderful interview with a public radio station, KCRW. Here's the link: http://www.kcrw.com/etc/programs/bw/bw060119annie_proulx

I thought the word fit Jack, and Jake in the role, so perfectly. And the scene where Lureen sees Jack at the window and sees him as quicksilver, well, that was the first clear image/metaphor I had of the story, and I was writing toward it for a very long time.

Thank you for the pictures :D and your generous comments. The details come from a lot of research (including going to rodeos and taking riding lessons - oh, the sacrifices we fic writers have to make ;D)

I just listened to this interview for the first time today. It was really interesting! I wrote down what she said.

"Jake made his own Jack Twist and a very excellent Jack Twist it is, too." She goes on to describe Jake's Jack Twist as complex, quicksilver, beautiful, hungry, bitterly disappointed again and again, love, electricity, and inchoate longing.

I just read ch. 6 of Quicksilver. The description of Jack as quicksilver and how Lureen sees him at the window I think is poetic and true.

Hope ch. 7 is coming along for you. - Leslie K.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
Re: Quicksilver, The Wind Rivers, and Dead Horse Road
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2007, 11:39:28 am »
Oh, look what I found - Chapter 7 in two parts.  Here's a link - the story, the writing, the insights - all too good for anyone to miss:

http://jtsbar.livejournal.com/4818.html#cutid1

Thanks, Fern
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain