Author Topic: The BM Non-BBM Drabble Party: Please Join In!  (Read 19917 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: The BM Non-BBM Drabble Party: Please Join In!
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 02:47:58 am »
well now that I am writing SMALLER (yes SMALLER) tales they might be more um, accessible, as it were.

thank you for letting me post! and to our gracious moderator.esse.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2007, 08:37:38 pm »
(Todays drabble prompts: car accident, olive oil, trauma)

The Accident

Everyone kept saying it will be okay.  They kept saying it over and over and over.  But since the car accident nothing was okay.  It hasn’t been okay a single day since then.  Nancy still dreamed about that day.  She still felt the trauma of what it was like.  She was sitting in history class passing notes with Ellen.  Mrs. Riley was droning on and on.  About the ancient Greeks and Romans.  All of a sudden her brother Jon appeared at the door of the classroom.  His face was all red.  He asked Mrs. Riley if he could speak to her.

Mrs. Riley said  “But this is so important.”  But Nancy saw him and went running over.
“There was an accident” he cried.  Her face went totally white.

“Mom and Dad?”

“No, Josh” and Jon hugged her even though he never did and buried his face on her shoulder.

Josh was their cousin, he was much more than a cousin to them.  He was more than a friend. 

Now two years had gone by.  Jon was doing okay.  He was in college now, and had lots of friends, guys and girls.

But Nancy still thought of Josh every day.   Almost every minute of every day.  She lived her life for him.  She wrote stories for him, she painted pictures for him.  She did everything she could to make him happy up there.

A year before the accident Josh and his family had dinner with them.  They had salad, but Nancy spilled the olive oil all over.  Mom got very mad.  “You mess up everything, always.  It’s always your fault.”

Nancy didn’t say anything.  She was used to it.  But later she cried in her room.  Josh came in.  He took her in his arms and held her.  He whispered “nobody is better than you.”

No, it wasn’t true what they said.  It wasn’t going to be okay.  But Nancy could see Josh when she closed her eyes before she fell asleep.  She could see him in her dreams.  “You have to go on” he would say to her.

“No, I want to be there with you, real soon.”  she would reply.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 08:41:17 pm by marlb42 »

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2007, 05:30:33 pm »
Howdy!  :)
Today's prompts: crow, blanket, misunderstanding.

Folded Wings ..

The raucous cry of a nearby crow shatters the solemn peace;
The evening sun releases soft ribbons of its golden yellow rays
As it slowly disappears behind the heavy blanket of grey clouds.

They were all gathered in a circle around the little grave,
Whispered prayers and sobs escaping the trembling lips ..
One handful of dirt after another, falling on the wooden box.

The weeping mother hunkers down, frail from grief
She calls out to God, to her departed child
Pleads for a bit of mercy, a glimmer of light in the bitter darkness.

Little Maria stands in her mother’s shadow, clinging to the black skirt
Her little brown eyes - gentle pools of love and light and compassion
Heaps of dirt fall on her little casket, slowly burying it in dark earth
She watches on, her little angel wings folded …

« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 06:36:46 pm by Lucise »

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2007, 08:31:48 pm »
After the Bad Day

Kelly wrapped the blanket around herself.  She was lying on the couch trying to watch some tv.  She was trying to forget about her horrible day.  She kept flipping around the channels, but all there was to see was junk.  Survivor and other stupid reality shows.  She wondered why they were called reality shows, no one really looked like those silly people that you see on them. 

It was such a bad day.  It didn’t start out that way.  She wore her favorite blue sweater and nice new pants.  She even had time to fix her hair.  She went in feeling good.  She kept flipping.  CSI with all the dead bodies and the decorating shows with all those stupid people screaming with fake joy about their ridiculous couches.

But then when she got to work everything was all crazy.  The boss called her into his office.  Kelly turned to the movie channels.  More of those silly action movies with things exploding all over.  Another dumb chick flick with Julia Roberts.  “Why did everyone always think she was so pretty?”

Kelly walked home from the terrible day.  She walked through the park.  That was the only thing that ever seemed to clear her head.  She kept flipping the channels, some kid’s cartoon, she didn’t know which one, but they all looked the same.

She thought she saw a crow in the park,  or at least she swore that she heard one.  It startled her for a moment.  Crows weren’t supposed to be in the big city.  But she wasn’t really sure if she saw it at all.  Kelly kept flipping the channels.  She came to one where a movie just started.  It was quiet, not loud and harsh like all the others.  The walk in the park didn’t help at all today.  There was a cute young guy in a tan jacket.  He was standing in front of a trailer.  A train was passing by.  An old truck appeared.  Another cute young guy got out of it. 

Kelly buried herself deeper in the blanket.  It all had to be a misunderstanding.  “I wonder what movie this is?”  The button on the remote that should have given the title wasn’t working today.

It all had to be a misunderstanding.  “These guys are awfully cute” she said and she put another pillow under her head.

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2007, 12:17:25 am »
Howdy!  :)
Folded Wings ..

Little Maria stands in her mother’s shadow, clinging to the black skirt
Her little brown eyes - gentle pools of love and light and compassion
Heaps of dirt fall on her little casket, slowly burying it in dark earth
She watches on, her little angel wings folded …

Aww,  Thank You M, Sad day all over, wasn't it? :(
Beautiful poem, and picture too.
 :)

Marl

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2007, 12:33:10 am »

Aww,  Thank You M, Sad day all over, wasn't it? :(

I know Marl .. today was one of those days.  :)

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2007, 12:45:05 am »
Oh well, maybe we can make everyone happier tomorrow.
But, in a way, I've always liked the sad things the most, stories, books and movies, I mean. ;)
Music too. :)

Marl

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2007, 07:03:53 pm »
(Today's prompts: incense, M & M's, overdue.  Just trying to use all of them.)

The Party

Kelly went to the party.  It was a weird party, with incense on all the tables around the room and people smoking all kinds of cigarettes.  She went to the party all alone.  Marion was supposed to go but at the last minute she called and said she wasn’t going to be able to make it.

Kelly wasn’t going to go.  She was going to stay home and watch some tv again and pay some bills.   But after watching that movie that other night, she figured it wasn’t good to stay home alone all the time.

It was already crowded when she got there.  There was no one she knew, besides Dave whose party it was.  There were all sorts of people there.  Men and woman, young and old.  It was summer, hot and moist, with lots of skin showing.

Kelly sat down on an overstuffed purple chair in the corner.  She began watching people.  There were two young men, not too far away from her.  Both were wearing black sleeveless shirts with the muscles on their arms showing.  They were standing very close and talking to each other quietly.   They both had brown hair, one darker than the other’s.  They both had drinks and cigarettes in their hands.

Dave came over to her, “I’m so glad that you came.”

“Yeah, I am real glad too.”  Kelly replied.

But she stayed in that chair most of the night.  She didn’t talk to anyone else.  She stayed there even when they served dessert, cake and cookies baked with M & M’s.  Not too many people ate dessert, most were too busy drinking and smoking.

The music became louder and wilder, people’s voices become louder too.  She got up to begin to leave.  One of the men that she had been watching approached her.  “You’re leaving now? he asked.  Kelly stared at the muscles.

“Yeah” she said.

“You should stay a while longer” he replied and then went back to his friend.

Kelly stood there watching them, they now had their arms around each other.  She looked around.  There were couples all over the room, some were now making out.  She headed to the door.

“Why did I even come?”

As she walked home alone, in the stillness of the warm quiet streets, she wondered why she came.  “I just should have stayed home and paid the bills.”  Some were overdue.  But Kelly kept seeing the muscles on those guy’s arms.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 07:06:46 pm by Cameron »

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2007, 08:56:53 pm »

Oh dear!!!!!!!!!!    what a sad and blue day.........................

Beautiful mind

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2007, 10:11:04 pm »
This a wierd drabble, but I have my wierd moments.  Don't ask me where it came from, lol, it just did ..
(Another party theme here Marl .. ;) )

A Toast ..

"They were both eighteen.  Keera was a buoyant spirit – a flower-power, incense-burning, pot-smoking, love-making, proud lesbian hippie.  She had the unshaved legs and armpits; and the colourful station wagon to prove it if anyone ever questioned her beliefs.  Camille was a reserved, shy farm girl from the prairies who was more likely to be at the library on a Friday night than hanging around the hotspot in town, clad in mini-skirts and tube tops like the rest of us..

How these two ever managed to become fast friends is beyond me, but they stroke up an unusual friendship and became practically inseparable after only about a month.  We all figured out that they were doing it when we’d see the two of them emerging from Keera’s love-mobile at odd times of the day; their clothes all rumpled and ‘just-got-laid’ looks written all over their guilty faces.  Too bad Keera ditched that station wagon a few years ago.
Still, I'm sure the backseat was in shreds when it ended up in the junk yard .. ;)

Today is a very special day; a day to celebrate the beautiful union of these two lovebirds.  This occasion is long overdue because these two have loved, supported and cared for each other for half their lives.  There are no two people I’d rather be best friends with … So .. A Toast to the gorgeous brides –  Keera and Camille –

‘Here’s to two sweethearts, two lovers, two friends;
To fun, passion, desire and love that never ends.
Here’s to good health and never-ending prosperity;
Two souls, one journey – may love abound for eternity ..
"

« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 02:32:30 am by Lucise »