Author Topic: Master and Commander  (Read 13873 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Master and Commander
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2007, 10:34:44 pm »
Gee, if it's that good, I guess it's about time I unwrapped the DVD and actually watched it!  :laugh:

There's this other movie starring another Aussie kinda keeps getting in the way. ...  ;D

You do that too Jeff? I thought I was the only one who did it. I probably have 15 or 20 DVDs still in their wrappers.

Yeah, you should definately watch M&C. It's an excellent movie.  :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2007, 11:02:23 pm »
You do that too Jeff? I thought I was the only one who did it. I probably have 15 or 20 DVDs still in their wrappers.

Yeah, you should definately watch M&C. It's an excellent movie.  :)

I missed it in the theater, but I read good things about it, so I bought the DVD of Master and Commander in the wake of finally having seen Gladiator on television.  :laugh: I had a Russell Crowe phase. Lasted about a week.

Heck, I still have a couple of movies on videotape that I've never unwrapped and watched!  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2007, 11:49:15 pm »
I LOVE this movie!     I have to tell you:  I have it bad for tall ships.   I watched one come back into the harbor in San Diego a few years back and it was one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen.   

Also:  As far as I know, the ship used in the film is still docked in San Diego, near the maritime museum.  If you ever get the chance, you really should go on it!   It's filled with things from the movie, like the little  model of the "phantom" that the sailors made for the captain; plus uniforms, the violin and a lot more.    The guy who was the docent played the small role of the master-at-arms in the film.  His name is Al Sorkin and he's a very cool guy.  I have another pic of him with a tourist who was a dead ringer for Crowe; I photog'd them at the wheel.   Awesome.
"This is the most uncomfortable coffin I've ever been in!"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2007, 01:43:46 am »
That's so great that you got to tour the Surprise, shortfic!  It's definitely on my short list of things to do one day, along with a trip to Portsmouth, England, to see Nelson's ship, the Victory.  When you get a chance, maybe you could post those pics?  8)

Have you also read the books the movie is based on?  I loved them so much.  This spring I also devoured the Horatio Hornblower books by C. S. Forester.  They're so entertaining, and they really make the Age of Sail come alive.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2007, 11:57:55 am »
I will have to dig out the pics and scan them; will lose a bit of the resolution but you will still have the idea.

Yes, I have read many of the books, all the way up through The Nutmeg of Consolation.   Great stuff.

Seriously, folks, if you ever get the chance to go on any tall ship, even if it's a replica, do so.   It's lovely.

On a side note, I also enjoyed touring the USS Midway in San Diego.  More modern, obviously, but still fascinating.  And really, really big!  It took me about three hours to see everything.

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2007, 03:28:45 pm »
Got pics!      There is one of the Star of India with the crew up in the rigging.
Also one of the Surprise's cannons, one of the uniforms by the lovely table, and another.  More in the next post.

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2007, 03:30:05 pm »
Oops, only got one pic into that post.   

Here I am at the wheel.   *note:  the image is reversed here due to the scan.   

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2007, 03:31:27 pm »
This post and the next will have the uniforms and guns.   Why can I only get one pic into each post when it says I can do four?

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2007, 03:33:19 pm »
Okay, here is the one of Al Sorkin, the docent who played the master at arms; and a tourist who happened to resemble Russell Crowe.

Al took the pic of me at the wheel.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2007, 04:09:15 pm »
Wow, I started this thread and then forgot all about it, whew! Glad to hear there are others who enjoyed it also, and to hear about the series the movie is based in part on.

I seem to remember there was a sceen with a woman, in a canoe, some locals were trying to sell her or something.

And Jeff, I know what you mean about a Russell Crowe phase. I think mine lasted a bt longer, was born of Gladiator and sustained by The Sum of Us, Crowe's "Gay roll".

"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."