Author Topic: Should Brokeback Mountain be on AFI's Top 100 Movies of All Time?  (Read 9447 times)

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
Re: Should Brokeback Mountain be on AFI's Top 100 Movies of All Time?
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2007, 05:12:43 pm »
I think the discussion in this thread alone shows how difficult it is to find any sort of concensus concerning "best", "top" and "highest quality". To give a few examples contradicting others' opinions here: As a long time Lord of the Rings fan I was absolutely *thrilled* to see that it was the first of the 3 LotR films that made this list. Fellowship in my opinion, and that of many of my fan friends, is far superior to the next two, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that acknowledged here. (This ran contrary to the Oscars, which heaped all the honours on Return of the King probably as reward for the entire trilogy.) And I was also delighted to see Blade Runner on the list. it's an outstanding dark SF, but not the kind of film that necessarily gets honoured on lists like this.

Yep, there sure are differeing views even among our small Brokie group. :)

And that's why I'm not overly concerned that BBM didn't make this list. (Though of course I think it should have been ranked near the top!!) Tastes and points of view differ so much, between people, between cultures, over time. That list is not the final gospel. Not even as far as English-spoken films go, this European would hasten to add.  ;)

I also think Daniel is very right in pointing out that this kind of ranking is very much about classics. Some of the films on that list, inclusive of Citizen Kane IMO, not to mention "Some like it hot" must earn their place on the "Well, it's a classic!!" merit.  Something tells me BBM will become a classic too, in time. It's too outstanding not to, once the subject matter (one would hope) is not so controversial in the US anymore.  It'll make those lists in the end. But hopefully, lots of people will fall in love with it even before it reaches that point.

moremojo

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2007, 05:15:10 pm »
The list is absurd, if for no other reason than that it is way, WAY too Anglo and American-oriented in its results. The American cinema is unquestionably one of the greatest and most important of national cinemas, but it is hardly the sum of the best that has been produced in the medium. No French films, for goodness sakes? No Japanese films? Yasujiro Ozu was one the greatest of all film directors, and would definitely have been represented in any truly serious compendium. Historically important movements such as Italian neorealism and the the Soviet montage movement are likewise slighted. I could go on, but the list's cultural and intellectual paucity is sufficiently evident.

I would much rather see the individual lists of the contributors rather than the collated results, which inevitably reflects the status quo rather than the idiosyncratic avenues that the individual choices often reveal.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2007, 05:58:11 pm »
I think Daniel sums it up the best!
There are as many different opinions as there are people as Mikaela so eloquently pointed out.
It just bothers me that there was no mention. This movie/story has touched me in a way nothing ever has.
No painting, song, movie or any work of art.
I don't want to sound too goofy here, but BBM is ....I don't know, almost magical. It slapped me in the face and showed me what my life is, what it could have been and what I can now make of it. It took away any excuses that I have been hiding behind all these years. For me, it is so much more than just a movie,a work of art or fiction. For me it is a signpost in life pointing me in the direction i need to be going.
For me it is on the level of some relgous icon or text that brings about an epiphany. Paul had a Damascus road conversion that changed his life, mine happened on Brokeback Mountain!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2007, 06:07:28 pm »
BBM is ....I don't know, almost magical. It slapped me in the face and showed me what my life is, what it could have been and what I can now make of it. It took away any excuses that I have been hiding behind all these years. For me, it is so much more than just a movie,a work of art or fiction. For me it is a signpost in life pointing me in the direction i need to be going.
For me it is on the level of some relgous icon or text that brings about an epiphany. Paul had a Damascus road conversion that changed his life, mine happened on Brokeback Mountain!

You know.... if they're the people I would like to believe them to be, then Proulx, Ossana, McMurtry, Lee, Ledger and Gyllenhaal all would consider this one statement alone much more valuable than the good opinion of some blazé group of film know-it-alls.   :)

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2007, 05:36:48 am »
You know.... if they're the people I would like to believe them to be, then Proulx, Ossana, McMurtry, Lee, Ledger and Gyllenhaal all would consider this one statement alone much more valuable than the good opinion of some blazé group of film know-it-alls.   :)

Amen!
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2007, 03:10:58 pm »
I really had no idea if Brokeback would be within the AFI Top 100 Movies of All Time. Quite honestly, I did not think it would be, but all the way up to number 1 I did keep watching and hoping. Of course, I would have thought I had landed on another planet if Brokeback would have been announced the #1 movie. Although, in my mind, and I know in so many other people's minds there is no other movie that has ever had this type of impact. If I am wrong about that someone please correct me. The quote from loneleeb3 cannot be better expressed by me. That quote is:
"BBM is ....I don't know, almost magical. It slapped me in the face and showed me what my life is, what it could have been and what I can now make of it. It took away any excuses that I have been hiding behind all these years. For me, it is so much more than just a movie,a work of art or fiction. For me it is a signpost in life pointing me in the direction i need to be going."

I think so many of us feel this same exact way. There are other movies I like, but more in an entertainment way, not in a life awakening and changing way like Brokeback. I never meant for Brokeback to leave that kind of impression on me. When I first saw it, I had no idea that I would be a different person at the end of the movie. I had no idea that the movie would bring out emotions in me that I never knew I had. I had no idea that words, music or anything else from the move would continue to this day to bring tears to me. I thought it was just going to be a movie and that was all. I had no idea that suddenly I would be out buying everything Brokeback, reading about everything Brokeback, finding out everything I could about Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal as well as Annie and everyone else involved in the book and movie, and the list goes on.

I certainly had no idea I would end up with friends from all over the United States and the World who felt the same impact as I did from Brokeback. What then becomes amazing is that the people who I have met and talked with are really not the same type of people who I have known as friends before. There is a distinct quality to all of the Brokies I know of and that is regardless of what forum they happen to belong to. There is an acceptance of people for who they are regardless of what that may be. There is an openness to thoughts and to other people's ideas. There is not hostility when someone expresses a differing viewpoint. Even if there is a misunderstanding of some type it seems that whatever that was just drifts away quickly with the type of feeling of whatever caused it is not worth thinking about anymore. Those types of bonds and friendships are quite unusual. At least in my life they are and I would be willing to bet there are several people reading this right now who feel the same. There certainly is not a certain sexual orientation that is the main part of this group since we are well represented male and female, gay and straight. I am well aware that we do not have a lot of straight male open Brokies, but that may be more of a societal issue. Closet Brokies, what a concept  :D I don't know really know about that one. It does not appear that we have a lot of gay female Brokies; however, I am completely uncertain about that and if that is the case I have no idea why that would be.

Something that comes to mind is the roadtrip at the BBQ. We had 18 people (I think that is the number) all embarked on a two day non stop journey through Wyoming. The round trip mileage from what I remember Fritz saying was over 1200 miles. All 18 of us completely and totally had to be around each other and put up with each other constantly. You sure don't want to get lost in Wyoming  :) All kinds of things happened to us, but we had fun and nobody choked anyone even during the bed hoping  :o Anything that would fray anyone's nerves, which did happen a couple of times I know, all seemed to become just part of the memories and fun. The bond we had only became stronger and as far as I know we are all close friends. I'm sure of that and that goes for everyone who was at the BBQ. We became two groups for a couple of days, but that sure was a good reunion at the Double Tree when the entire group came back together. For those on the roadtrip, I'm not so sure how we would do on Survivor since I don't know of anyone I would want to vote off the island (road)  ;)

So it appears I have drifted from my original topic, but in reality I am presenting how this movie has affected so many of us and what this movie has also brought into our lives such as the many good times and friendships. So now we have to look at the AFI List and find what other movies did this. Can anyone think of any?

Oh no, Jack's first long post on Bettermost............

moremojo

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2007, 05:26:56 pm »
I wouldn't compare the two films in terms of quality, but one other title that immediately comes to mind as being comparable to Brokeback Mountain in the positive hold it can have over fans' lives is The Rocky Horror Picture Show. The film was widely despised by the critics upon initial release, and failed at the boxoffice during its brief run, but struck a deep chord among the few who responded to it with appreciation.

The film eventually went on to become the definitive Midnight Movie, and the rituals surrounding the regular screenings have become even more famous than the film itself. Many of the participants have conveyed dislike or apathy for the actual movie, attending the screenings for the fun of being in the audience, but they seem to forget that there wouldn't be a cult in the first place if some hadn't appreciated the film on its own terms, and embraced and cherished it. I have heard of some fans describing The Rocky Horror Picture Show as a life experience similar to the feelings expressed by so many of us who have been touched by Brokeback Mountain.

For the record, I would not include (as I would Brokeback Mountain) The Rocky Horror Picture Show in a list of the 100 best films, despite my enduring and nostalgic affection for it.

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2007, 05:43:40 pm »

So it appears I have drifted from my original topic, but in reality I am presenting how this movie has affected so many of us and what this movie has also brought into our lives such as the many good times and friendships. So now we have to look at the AFI List and find what other movies did this. Can anyone think of any?

Oh no, Jack's first long post on Bettermost............

You'll hardly hear me complaining about long posts. That sure enough would be the pot calling the kettle black!  ;D

To your question, and without re-reading the list of films, I would immediately think of Fellowship of the Ring and Star Wars. Both have big fandoms where people have made lasting friendships from around the world, and fans have found strong common interests, have found their own voice and ways of expressing themselves, have had good times and lots of fun as well as most serious discussions.

I do not think it's very worthwhile or meaningful to rank any one of the "fandom" films as more "worthy" than the other... Certainly one can judge the filmatic merits, but there's so much more to it. We are all of us different and different things trigger our interest and devotion. It's good that there are such different (but overall good) films to fire the spark in different people.

That said, and though I also am and remain a serious LotR fan, I do rank BBM as the number one film for me. You bet.  :)