Author Topic: Visitin Brokies on the East Coast  (Read 4979 times)

Offline ptannen

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Visitin Brokies on the East Coast
« on: April 14, 2007, 02:58:50 am »
My partner, David, and I just got back from a 5 week trip on the East Coast (from Washington, D.C to Boston and Provincetown).  We were visiting friends and relatives and doin some sightseeing.

Although I didn't get to see all the Brokies I wanted to, I did visit with 5:

Fritz (Fritzkep), who posts on Dave Cullen and who I met at the Texas BBQ and the Bay City gathering graciously invited David and I to stay with him and his partner, Earl, in Arlington, VA for several nights.  It was good to meet Earl and for Fritz and Earl to meet David, and to get to know them better.  The 4 of us enjoyed two meals together and Fritz and I spent a day seeing a few D.C. sights.  They were great hosts and even shuttled us to the nearest Metro stop.   

In Philadelphia, we had dinner with Jeff Wrangler at a great gay restaurant that I am told is a Philadelphia institution, the Venture Inn.  It attracts an "older" crowd and is affectionately know by the locals as the Denture Inn!  The food, atmosphere, and company were all great.  I was glad that David and Jeff got a chance to meet and it was great to see Jeff for the second time (after meetin him in Boston).

Heading further north, I got to meet David . . . in Hartford (of course), for the first time.  He drove over to where we were staying and he took me out to breakfast.  As David was on the way to work at Bradley International Airport, he was handsomely and officially dressed in his TSA uniform!  The young twin boys who live with their two mommies (friends of ours) where we were staying, thought that David was a policeman!  It was wonderful to finally meet David after all these months and breakfast flew by too fast (never enough time)!  We then went back to our friends' home and my David had gotten up by then, so he and David had a chance to meet.

In Boston I had a reunion with Andy, one of the organizers of the Boston Brokie gathering, and fellow transit rider, cyclist, and museum's.  We met at the Old State House (Boston's oldest public building built in 1713 and now a history museum). We both enjoyed all the exhibits and read all the descriptive material.  Several hours later, we had to rush off, as we planned to meet my David for lunch.  The three of us had a great afternoon on Beacon Hill, where Andy gave us a tour and took us to the Otis House Museum (designed by Charles Bullfinch in 1796).  After David went back to our friends' home to rest, Andy and I couldn't resist seeing yest another historic exhibit, at the Boston Athenæum (one of the oldest and most distinguished independent libraries in the US, founded in 1807).  A couple of days later, I joined Andy and Barry (a college roommate and high school friend of mine with whom David and I were staying), to tour the brand new Boston Institute of Contemporary Art (a very unusual building overlooking Boston Harbor).

And finally, for those of you who've read the birthday thread (Happy Birthday ptannen, April 7th!), you’ve read about how Paul (southendmd)  and I ran into each other in Provincetown, totally unplanned.  If you haven't, Paul posted:

I'm in Provincetown for the weekend, and I read Clarissa's post.  Pete's in town!  Apparently no way to reach him.  (He's using the library computer.)

Joey and I go to dinner at the Mews, our favorite place, and, who gets seated a few tables over? 

Pete and David!

On his birthday!

Their first time in Provincetown!

It's a Brokie small world!     

Paul came over to our table to say hello and meet David.  He later graciously treated us to dessert for my birthday.

It was so wonderful to visit with all of you!  I hope you will all come visit David and I in San Francisco.

It’s been and continues to be such a wonderful community of kindred spirits!!!!

Pete         
Is there anything interesting up there in heaven?

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
Re: Visitin Brokies on the East Coast
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 04:06:29 am »
Pete,

that sounds like a truly wonderful 5 weeks you've had. And Brokie-overload!

And how amazing it is that you can just run in to another brokie just like that! On your birthday. It really is a small world  :)

Thanks for sharing this.

And happy (belated) birthday!
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 07:08:06 am »
That sounds like a great trip, Pete! I am so sorry we weren't able to connect. Now I'll just have to find a reason to go to San Francisco!

Hugs,

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 10:17:46 am »
As David was on the way to work at Bradley International Airport, he was handsomely and officially dressed in his TSA uniform!  The young twin boys who live with their two mommies (friends of ours) where we were staying, thought that David was a policeman!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Strip search! Strip search!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sounds like a wonderful trip, Pete. Glad I had a chance to see you and meet David.  :D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 01:05:54 pm »
Pete, thanks for the report on your wonderful trip!  Let me know the next time you whiz through New York.  ;D

In Philadelphia, we had dinner with Jeff Wrangler at a great gay restaurant that I am told is a Philadelphia institution, the Venture Inn.  It attracts an "older" crowd and is affectionately know by the locals as the Denture Inn!

:laugh:

Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 04:42:49 pm »
I think Pete may just have succeeded in getting me banned from the restaurant after twenty years in Philadelphia. ...  :o
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline fritzkep

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 09:15:47 pm »
Thanks Pete, enjoyed hearing about your travels after you visited us! Looking forward to seeing you in Colorado!

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
A memorable birthday on the East Coast
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2021, 02:39:41 pm »
I was reviewing friend Pete's posts as his birthday draws near and ran across this great story from the past--

And finally, for those of you who've read the birthday thread (Happy Birthday ptannen, April 7th!), you’ve read about how Paul (southendmd)  and I ran into each other in Provincetown, totally unplanned.  If you haven't, Paul posted:

I'm in Provincetown for the weekend, and I read Clarissa's post.  Pete's in town!  Apparently no way to reach him.  (He's using the library computer.)

Joey and I go to dinner at the Mews, our favorite place, and, who gets seated a few tables over? 

Pete and David!

On his birthday!

Their first time in Provincetown!

It's a Brokie small world!     

Paul came over to our table to say hello and meet David.  He later graciously treated us to dessert for my birthday.

It was so wonderful to visit with all of you!  I hope you will all come visit David and I in San Francisco.

It’s been and continues to be such a wonderful community of kindred spirits!!!!

Pete       
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2021, 03:31:23 pm »
I remember it well!  Although it was before Estes Park and the first Alberta, Pete had attended our Boston Brokie Bash back in September '06.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2021, 03:37:19 pm »
What a Brokie coincidence!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre