Author Topic: Do You Have Any Phobias?  (Read 16692 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Do You Have Any Phobias?
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2007, 11:36:38 pm »
I don't have a fear of heights.  I have a fear of widths.  ;)

Actually, I think it's falling I fear.  If I'm up really, really high, but I feel secure in the notion that no way I'm going to fall, I'm fine.

I've always lived by the adage that I see no reason to jump out of a perfectly good airplane.

I feared public speaking for years to the point of actually changing careers to avoid it.  But ever since I had my son, I've become fearless where that's concerned.  If I really know my subject, I'm fine.  I do still get freaked out, though, if I realize I don't.  I'm not a born salesman.  I never was much good at bull-shitting.

As a born introvert, I must admit that the scariest thing I can imagine is walking into a room full of people I've never met before.  That's even scarier than jumping out of an airplane.

Oh - and I HATE clowns.  Interesting that you bring up the Ronald McDonald thing.  I've always wondered why pretty much everyone of my generation loathes them all.  Now I know.
No more beans!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2007, 03:10:35 am »
I ticked flying and animal (spiders). I'm pretty much OK with just about anything life throws in my direction. Except for flying and spiders. I have a morbid, irrational fear of both. I used to fly as a child and as a young adult, but the older I get, the more I want to stay away from flight and absolutely anything to do with it. I can't be sure, but I suspect it's become worse since 9/11.

I have always detested spiders, to the point where I have become quite paranoid about them; i.e., I'm absolutely convinced they're out to get me! I'm serious! We have some dreadfully disgusting spiders here in Australia, that have the capacity to kill you, if you are not treated with antivenene in time. Once upon a time, in the days before antivenenes were developed, only a couple of decades ago, you would die if bitten by one of these spiders. What an insulting way to lose one's life - to be killed by a hideously ugly big bug! Almost as bad as being killed by a shark. Not exactly a romantic, noble death, to be killed by a fish!

These killer Australian spiders are not restricted to the far outback. I live in a high-rise building, very close to the centre of Australia's biggest city, Sydney. And even here, I occasionally get a spider in my home. I live on a tree-lined street with lots of big, old camphor-laurel trees around, and I guess they live in the trees. I also occasionally get them in my car. I drive a black car and I suspect they think it looks like a tree stump or something, 'cause they crawl inside when I'm not there (god knows how - they're soooo sneaky!), and only come out from under the dashboard when I'm travelling at 60 kph across the Harbour Bridge! I told you, they're out to get me!

I have all sorts of strategies to get rid of them, including a regular spray of special anti-spider surface spray to the exterior and interior of my car. I also carry a fly-swatter in my car!

Spiders? Ugh! Shudder!   
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 03:15:44 am by Kerry »
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2007, 11:41:20 am »
You bring to mind an important point, Kerry.  It's not flying I fear - it's crashing.  Thus, I *really* dislike take-offs and landings/descents.  But once we're up there at altitude, even if it's a little bit bumpy, I'm in heaven.  That's my Zen state.  I especially love flying on a clear night when you can look down and see the lights of the cars on the highways and such.  Seeing how small everything looks from above works like nothing else to put all my little worries and insecurities into perspective.

Spiders don't bother me much.  But if I see one in my bedroom at night before going to bed, I catch it and release it outside.  Or if that's not feasible, I kill it.  Sorry, but I can't stand the thought of that little bugger biting me in my sleep.  Don't you hate it when you wake up and have one or two or three nasty bug bites on you that you know you didn't have when you went to bed the night before?  I just had that happen last week.  Stripped the bed and set off one of those bug-killer bombs in the bedroom while I was at work, and lo and behold, no more bug bites.  Blech.
No more beans!

moremojo

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2007, 07:46:04 pm »
I ticked flying and animal (spiders). I'm pretty much OK with just about anything life throws in my direction. Except for flying and spiders. I have a morbid, irrational fear of both. I used to fly as a child and as a young adult, but the older I get, the more I want to stay away from flight and absolutely anything to do with it. I can't be sure, but I suspect it's become worse since 9/11.
I can definitely sympathize with your feelings on flying, Kerry (and I, too, did it some in my younger days, and now can't fathom ever doing it again).

I did wonder, though, how isolating that might be for you Down Under, where I have the impression that air travel is such a paramount means of getting around the country, not to mention visiting overseas. Here in the States, which like yours is a vast country, flying-phobes such as myself can conceivably board a train, car, or bus and cross over into Canada or even, theoretically, go as far in the opposite direction as Central America. And though long distances often separate the various American cities and towns, there are always even small hamlets along most of the land routes one can take, to accommodate in terms of lodging, nourishment, and rest. In Australia, I have the impression that the interior of the country is largely empty of human habitation, so that though one can drive as far as the roads will take them, one must be very well prepared in terms of fuel and food lest one not encounter another community for many hundreds of miles.

Just wondering, and I beg the pardon of anyone reading if I unintentionally offended with my ruminations.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2007, 09:25:34 pm »
Spiders don't bother me much.  But if I see one in my bedroom at night before going to bed, I catch it and release it outside.  

I've heard this said before here at BetterMost. There was another thread somewhere where the despicable subject of spiders was raised and someone said that they always caught spiders they found in the house, and released them outdoors. Spiders must be different overseas. Or slower, anyway. Because Australian spiders travel at the speed of light! The huntsman spiders that I occasionally find in my place are not deadly, but they can give you a nasty bite. They're big and hairy and can move so fast, they'd win gold in the Olympics! It's impossible to pick them up. Ugh, I'm shuddering just thinking about it!
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2007, 09:45:17 pm »
I can definitely sympathize with your feelings on flying, Kerry (and I, too, did it some in my younger days, and now can't fathom ever doing it again).

I did wonder, though, how isolating that might be for you Down Under, where I have the impression that air travel is such a paramount means of getting around the country, not to mention visiting overseas. Here in the States, which like yours is a vast country, flying-phobes such as myself can conceivably board a train, car, or bus and cross over into Canada or even, theoretically, go as far in the opposite direction as Central America. And though long distances often separate the various American cities and towns, there are always even small hamlets along most of the land routes one can take, to accommodate in terms of lodging, nourishment, and rest. In Australia, I have the impression that the interior of the country is largely empty of human habitation, so that though one can drive as far as the roads will take them, one must be very well prepared in terms of fuel and food lest one not encounter another community for many hundreds of miles.

Just wondering, and I beg the pardon of anyone reading if I unintentionally offended with my ruminations.

I'm really lucky in that I've never enjoyed travel. I'm a real home-body! I love my home and being at home. I dislike living out of a suitcase. I'm also not curious about visiting exotic locations. I love Australia and may see more of it when I retire. You can travel all over Australia, without leaving the ground, even to Tasmania, the state that is separate from the mainland by Bass Strait (via ferry). Contrary to popular overseas belief, Australia is dotted throughout with little towns and hamlets as well as substantial cities, where one can find a clean bed for the night in a local motel, a hot meal and a full tank of petrol to get you on your way. Granted, sometimes these facilities are somewhat few and far between in the major desert areas. What I'm trying to say, I guess, is that I'm not sitting at home, pining away, wishing I could get out of the house and fly somewhere. No, that is definitely not for me. And I don't like anything connected with flight. I hear people talking about the glamour of flight, or about being upgraded and how "fabulous" it was in Business Class, and all I can think is, to be honest with you, what a wank! Flying, no, I'll pass, thanks all the same! (I'm shuddering again!) 
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2007, 09:27:10 am »
I'm kinda like you, Kerry.  I don't mind traveling and in fact kind of enjoy it, but that's probably because I do it so rarely.  And when I do, it's most often to visit family and/or friends in far-away places in my own country.  I see flying as a necessary evil to get to some of them, like the extreme Northeast and all parts West, but I prefer to drive if it's only a day's worth of it.  The trouble is I don't have enough time to do two- and three-day driving trips to get up North to my family.  But if I did, I wouldn't mind taking my time and seeing some sights on the way.

I have some friends who live to travel, and they've traveled all over the world.  I think "Good for them."  I couldn't care less if I ever see China or Africa or even South America, to which my husband flies regularly for his job.  I'm a huge Anglophile - always have been - so of course I had to see England the first chance I got.  I've been back twice since, I loved it so much.  I'd rather go there yet again than go to see Spain or France or Italy for the first time.  I'm sure they're all lovely, but I just really don't care.  They're for someone else, and power to them, but not for me.  I see all the beauty I need to see right in my own back yard.  Sure, sometimes I tire of the sub-tropics and want to get away up North to see a different season or a different kind of landscape, but I'm never away from home for too long.  I love my house and my neighborhood and I love just knockin' about in my own town.
No more beans!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2007, 05:59:30 pm »
I'm kinda like you, Kerry.  I don't mind traveling and in fact kind of enjoy it, but that's probably because I do it so rarely.  And when I do, it's most often to visit family and/or friends in far-away places in my own country.  I see flying as a necessary evil to get to some of them, like the extreme Northeast and all parts West, but I prefer to drive if it's only a day's worth of it.  The trouble is I don't have enough time to do two- and three-day driving trips to get up North to my family.  But if I did, I wouldn't mind taking my time and seeing some sights on the way.

I have some friends who live to travel, and they've traveled all over the world.  I think "Good for them."  I couldn't care less if I ever see China or Africa or even South America, to which my husband flies regularly for his job.  I'm a huge Anglophile - always have been - so of course I had to see England the first chance I got.  I've been back twice since, I loved it so much.  I'd rather go there yet again than go to see Spain or France or Italy for the first time.  I'm sure they're all lovely, but I just really don't care.   They're for someone else, and power to them, but not for me.  I see all the beauty I need to see right in my own back yard.  Sure, sometimes I tire of the sub-tropics and want to get away up North to see a different season or a different kind of landscape, but I'm never away from home for too long.  I love my house and my neighborhood and I love just knockin' about in my own town.

You sound like my soul-mate, Barbara. I agree with everything you said. Only difference between us is that you're a lot braver than me! I have a gentleman friend ;) who lives in a beautiful coastal town, seven hours drive, north of Sydney. If I were to fly, I could be there in under an hour. Instead, I prefer to drive and enjoy the beautiful coastal scenery along the way. Now, post-BbM, whenever I make that long drive, I fantasize that I'm Jack, on my way to visit Ennis - which is, in fact, exactly what I'm doing! :D  I'm with you about England, too. It's where my family comes from and it would be nice to visit. But it's not a priority in my life. Maybe I'll take a boat there one day!   :laugh:
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 06:10:14 pm by Kerry »
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2007, 07:01:31 pm »
I often think of the Phil Collins song "We Said Hello, Good-bye" along these lines, especially the part that goes like this:

Well, it really [doesn't] matter much where you are,
'Cause home is in your heart - it's a feeling that you wake with one day.
Some people keep runnin' all their [lives]
But still find they haven't gone too far -
They don't see: it's a feeling inside - the feeling inside.

And yes, I often think we are soulmates, too, Kerry.  :)
No more beans!

Offline HerrKaiser

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2007, 07:21:02 pm »
I like to know it when people like to not travel; brings a sense of 'home' to the mind that seems uncommon these days.

After 14 million miles on American airlines, i could use some home time (my house doesn't even recognize me!)

As for spiders, I like them; they bring good luck according to German fairy tales.