Author Topic: A movie; a book...  (Read 2094 times)

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
A movie; a book...
« on: April 23, 2006, 11:58:40 am »
Maurice; "Maurice":

"I don't get you, Clive Durham!"
(especially the book; James Ivory has added a bit to the end of the movie, which helps explain him..it's not in the book...Also, Ivory (and whoever else he wrote the script with) provides a motivation (motivation?!) for Clive's transformation from gay to straight that--if it is in the book, in not all that imporant to Clive.

The only explanation I can think of for this character is that he has no sex drive of any kind (like Iago?), and is entirely wrapped up in his own advancement. But...then you have to explain away his peculiar, but appartently real, relationship with Maurice at the beginning.
Help!

"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
Re: A movie; a book...
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 01:17:31 pm »
Wait, what are you asking?? Is that acutally a quote from the book?  ??? LOL I'm confused...

I've read and seen Maurice, so I'd like to help if I can but I'm not sure exactly what you are asking...
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
Re: A movie; a book...
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 01:34:46 pm »
I'm asking for someone to explain the character of Clive Durham to me!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 01:31:27 am by julie01 »
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters