Author Topic: Jamestown: America's first gay community and Richard Godbeer  (Read 3024 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Jamestown: America's first gay community and Richard Godbeer
« on: April 19, 2007, 08:43:41 pm »
Richard Godbeer, a professor of history at the University of Miami, writes about sexuality in early America. Anybody familiar with him?

http://www.as.miami.edu/history/biographies/godbeer.html

His books look worth exploring.

Larry Kramer was citing one of his books in writing about Jamestown, which is being reexamined upon its 400th anniversary. Kramer says same-gender marriages were performed there in Colonial days.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Re: Jamestown: America's first gay community and Richard Godbeer
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 04:18:04 pm »
I remember a few years ago when the sodomy laws were finally overturned, there was talk of Jamestown and a ships captain, Richard Cornish, who was hung for being a sodomite.

Here is an article: http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?story=120971&ran=111744

A friend of mine wants to go see the Queen, I told him to start walking. If we were to go down there we'd stand in a crowd all day an maybe catch a glimpse of her.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Jamestown: America's first gay community and Richard Godbeer
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 04:26:51 pm »
Larry Kramer says same-gender marriages were performed in Jamestown in Colonial days.

Bullshit.

I remember a few years ago when the sodomy laws were finally overturned, there was talk of Jamestown and a ships captain, Richard Cornish, who was hung for being a sodomite.

A community that executes people for sodomy does not perform same-gender marriages.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.