Author Topic: Banned at the Bay Bridge: Too “Brokeback” for CBS Outdoor?  (Read 11379 times)

Offline ptannen

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
http://www.sfbaytimes.com/?sec=article&article_id=6333

(also copied below)

Banned at the Bay Bridge: Too “Brokeback” for CBS Outdoor?

Banned at the Bay Bridge: Too “Brokeback” for CBS Outdoor? By Kim Corsaro
Published: April 26, 2007

When San Francisco radio station 95.7-"The Wolf"--went Country the morning of March 1, they devised an advertising campaign that sampled the Big & Rich Grammy-nominated country song from 2004, "Save A Horse (Ride A Cowboy)." Their television commercial, which includes the song, has aired repeatedly and without controversy on numerous Bay Area television stations since March.

But according to 95.7 program director Scott Mahalick, CBS Outdoor pulled the plug on The Wolf when the radio station tried to feature the slogan on a large, multi-message LED display billboard near the Bay Bridge Toll Plaza that greets drivers coming off the Bridge. According to Mahalick, they were running "30 second, 15 second commercials, which open with the hook of this song, "Save A Horse (Ride A Cowboy)" on TV sstations in their listening area. Mahalick says they didn't even "consider that it would be an issue."

But CBS Outdoor-a national subsidiary of CBS network that sells outdoor advertising--thought differently, and they delivered a flat, "No" to The Wolf.

Mahalick couldn't believe it. He says they "went up the chain" at CBS Outdoor, where they sent a copy of the TV commercial, expecting that would straighten everything out. "We were running it full motion video on every TV station and there's no problem," said Mahallick. "They just performed it on Dancing With the Stars. It's mainstream."

Still, CBS Outdoor balked and refused to post the billboard. Did they consider it too gay? Executives at CBS Outdoor were unavailable for comment at press time.

Most certainly, awareness has changed in the Bay Area. This writer recalls another large freeway billboard, off the San Francisco Central Freeway in the late 1970s, when the general public didn't have a clue about gay sensibilities. Nobody said a thing about the billboard until Chronicle columnist Herb Caen pointed out that the gay community was howling about this message that slipped by the ad agency and billboard company censors. The billboard, for something like the California Dairy industry, featured a stark black background, with a small picture of a dish of ice cream, with a dollop of whipped cream and a cherry on top. Across the billboard, the ad slogan declared: "Top Your Favorite Bottom with Real Whipped Cream."

Makes riding a cowboy seem downright tame by comparison.

Is there anything interesting up there in heaven?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Banned at the Bay Bridge: Too “Brokeback” for CBS Outdoor?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 12:53:47 pm »
"Top Your Favorite Bottom with Real Whipped Cream."

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh: And don't forget the chocolate syrup.  ;D

(Or peanut butter if you're Mainewriter. ...  ;) )

Thanks for this, Pete.

So what came first, the slogan or the song?

Our Liberty Gay Rodeo Association had a fundraiser for their designated charities last Saturday, and the song was played for line dancing. First I heard it.  :)

"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 01:15:58 pm »
Hunh.  I don't know the song, but is it specifically about men?  I know it usually is associated with gays, but it could apply to women riding cowboys, too.  Maybe the reference to the sex act was their main objection.  Everyone's so worried the puritans will get after them nowadays.  It's sad, really.  :(
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 01:51:13 pm »
Yeah, sounds like it can be interpreted "straightly" to me.  Here are the lyrics:

Well, I walk into the room
Passing out hundred dollar bills
And it kills and it thrills like the horns on my Silverado grill
And I buy the bar a double round of crown
And everybody's getting down
An' this town ain't never gonna be the same.

[Chorus:]
Cause I saddle up my horse
and I ride into the city
I make a lot of noise
Cause the girls
They are so pretty
Riding up and down Broadway
on my old stud Leroy
And the girls say
Save a horse, ride a cowboy.
Everybody says
Save a horse, Ride a cowboy

Well I don't give a dang about nothing
I'm singing and Bling- Blanging
While the girls are drinking
Long necks down!
And I wouldn't trade ol' Leroy
or my Chevrolet for your Escalade
Or your freak parade
I'm the only John Wayne left in this town

[Chorus]

[Spoken:]
I'm a thourough-bred
that's what she said
in the back of my truck bed
As I was gettin' buzzed on suds
Out on some back country road.
We where flying high
Fining, whine, having ourselves a big and rich time
And I was going, just about as far as she'd let me go.
But her evaluation
of my cowboy reputation
Had me begging for salvation
all night long
So I took her out giggin frogs
Introduced her to my old bird dog
And sang her every Wilie Nelson song I could think of
And we made love

And I saddled up my horse
and I ride into the city
I make a lot of noise
Cause the girls
They are so pretty
Riding up and down Broadway
on my old stud Leroy
And the girls say
Save a horse, ride a cowboy
Everybody says
Save a horse, Ride a cowboy.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 06:40:14 pm »
:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh: And don't forget the chocolate syrup.  ;D

(Or peanut butter if you're Mainewriter. ...  ;) )

You want a quote, cowboy? As I recall, you were my beta reader for that chapter....LOL

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

injest

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 01:43:10 pm »
That is a mainstream song....I was not aware of any gay undertones from the video OR the lyrics. Only one radio would play it when it first came out (in fact one radio station refused to give away the comped copies of the CDs they sent out). But when it got into the top ten everyone started playing it. Has been popular for a while.

(they wouldn't play it because of the whole 'ride a cowboy' statement; thought it was too sexual)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 03:18:44 pm »
(they wouldn't play it because of the whole 'ride a cowboy' statement; thought it was too sexual)

Gee, ya think maybe?

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

injest

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2007, 03:35:51 pm »
Gee, ya think maybe?

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

well, I am a little offended at the sexist attitude of a lot of country music. You always hear about rap music and how THEY treat women, but nothing is ever said about country music.

"Ride a cowboy" to me is no worse than "my baby is born and bred in the USA"

My horse was bred, my cows are bred, I MIGHT breed my dogs.....but I was NOT bred thank you very much!

Then we have a lovely little ditty by two old men talking about a teenage girl (that they have to sneak back in her house on Sunday morning ..so she can be "all ribbons and curls") oh! and she also is sleeping with her math teacher...

or the one that says how sad it is that the South didn't win the Civil War cause "If the South woulda won we'd had it made!" (and them pesky uppity blacks would still be out in the slave houses, although they dont' just come straight out and SAY that....it is just a given...*wink*) and then they could have EVERY "girl child sent to Georgia to learn to smile and talk with that sweet southern style" (cause you know the sole purpose of women is to be amusing and attractive to white straight men!)

or the lovely "Honky Tonk Badonkey donk" or whatever....has all these men of varying ages leering at a bunch of teenagers barely wearing anything on their behinds; the camera never showing anything but their behinds.

Ride a cowboy is too risque? Only for straight white men and the women that buy into their bulls***!

Sorry for the rant!  ;)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 02:03:22 am »
well, I am a little offended at the sexist attitude of a lot of country music. You always hear about rap music and how THEY treat women, but nothing is ever said about country music.

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 02:23:58 am »
Bravo!  Bravo! Bravissima! Jess you are my HERO! NO ONE could have said it better!
Life is not a dress rehearsal