Author Topic: Did anybody watch the CMA's last night?  (Read 2699 times)

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
Did anybody watch the CMA's last night?
« on: May 16, 2007, 04:34:30 pm »
Lord, I could do without Reba! that woman can slaughter a joke!  ::)

But the music was great!
That Josh Turner! Whoooo Weee, he's purdy!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

moremojo

Re: Did anybody watch the CMA's last night?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 05:22:55 pm »
I missed this, Lee, but I'm sure I would have enjoyed it. I've developed an interest in country and Western for the first time, really, since I saw Brokeback Mountain--though a Texas boy all my life, I grew up on rock and pop, and actually tended to be disdainful of C & W most of my adolescence and adulthood.

I have since found that country and Western has a satisfying earthiness to it--it is of the earth, and makes me feel centered, 'homey'. Rock and pop tend to be more dreamlike or spacey--this seems like music of the air as opposed to the earth, so to speak. At any rate, I have found that country and Western has been a great comfort to me while driving, and makes me feel connected in a special way to the landscape.

There were some country and Western acts that I liked before BBM, but folks told me that these were actually more 'pop' than authentic C & W. At any rate, I liked them then, and still like them now, and find that these too have that 'earthy' quality that I find so appealing. Two of these artists/groups are Restless Heart and Shania Twain.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 07:08:33 pm »
Restless Heart

Friend, you are speakin my language! I love Restless Heart!
I was raised on Country. I went to see Dolly Parton and Porter Wagoner When I was just about 2. I still remeber his shiny blue sequined coat!
I satrted to dis like isome in my teen years opting for Duran Duran,Journey,Styx etc.
But In college I went back to my roots and have been loyal ever since. I guess when your a teen it isn't cool to like what your parents like.
I grew up listening to The Statler Brothers, the Oak Ridge Boys,Waylon and Willie, Johnny Cash, Etc.
Your right though, It does seem to connect you with the land! Wonder why that is?
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline HerrKaiser

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 09:03:00 pm »

Your right though, It does seem to connect you with the land! Wonder why that is?

It talks about people and places more than things and possessions. there is a clear message that other forms of music tend to have less of.

I am a fan of Asleep at the Wheel. Very talented group who are the only ones maintaining Texas swing genre. Bob Wills is their style-mentor.