Author Topic: One shots and other writings by THE WINGS  (Read 7879 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: A Night Out in Riverton
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2007, 10:38:38 am »
Loneleeb, I'd have to look it up specifically but I remember reading that Annie went into a bar in Wyoming and noticed a nice looking, older gentleman sitting alone at the bar. While there were many attractive woman there, this gentleman seemed to be very preoccupied with the young men playing pool. Something in the man's longing gaze at the guys made Annie start to wonder if the gentleman was "country gay" and that's how the short story, "Brokeback Mountain" was hatched.

It was the Mint Bar in Sheridan, Wyoming, as a matter of fact.

I have been to Wyoming exactly once in my life (for about 24 hours) and in that 24 hour period, I went to one bar. Guess which one? Amazing coincidence, huh? My husband played pool while I sat and nursed my beer.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline THE WINGS

• Sr. Ranch Hand
One shots and other writings by THE WINGS
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2007, 12:31:09 am »
"THE SWEET LIFE"

It would be a sweet life
Without pain, trouble, or strife
For Ennis and Jack to live
Love for each other to give.

Years of peaceful bliss
With only love's sweet kiss
And a warm, sweet embrace
Dreams they would together chase.

But this sweet life could not be
Because of a thing called "reality"
This dream was fading fast
And only hope would last.

In Ennis's heart and mind
Are memories sweet and kind
Of Jack's love so deep and pure
Which now help him to endure.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 09:05:13 pm by THE WINGS »

Offline THE WINGS

• Sr. Ranch Hand
"Brotherly Love"
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2007, 10:45:03 pm »
Ennis opened the letter, and began to read: 

"Dear Ennis,

Brother, it's been far too long since we've talked to each other, and so much has happened in the past few years.  I can't put it all down on paper, so I'm comin' to Riverton to see ya."

Your brother,

KE

Ennis didn't quite know what to think, except that it had been a long time since he had seen his older brother, Kyle Edward DelMar.  "I wonder what's happened, that he's comin' all the way to Riverton to see me?"  There had been a lot of sibling rivalry when they were growing up, but in recent uears, when they did get in touch, or on rare occasion, even seeing each other, their relationship was quite an amicable one, although, maybe not quite what you would call "close", due in part to their lives going in different directions.

After KE had divorced his wife, Brenda, Ennis only heard from him a couple of times that year, as KE had immersed himself in ranch work, and, like himself, was never at home much to take the time to write or call.

Finally, the day came for KE to arrive, and Ennis made sure his trailer was at least somewhat in order for his guest. Ennis heard the sound of a vehicle, and sure enough, it was KE, in his old beat-up Dodge pick-up.

KE jumped out of the truck and to Ennis's complete surprise, gave him a real bear-hug. Ennis was taken aback, because KE, much like himself, was never overly demostrative with anyone, even his ex-wife.

"How you doin' brother?", said Ennis, still seeming surprised at his brother's friendlier than usual demeanour.

KE said, "Couldn't be better, Ennis. We got a lot of catchin' up to do."  "You sure got that right", Ennis thought, with a perplexed look in his eyes.

After they had supper, the two brothers settled in for an evening of getting re-acquainted.  They reminsced about their younger days, and how finally Ennis had been able get the upper hand in their on-going wrestling and fighting matches.  Also, they shared fond memories of their parents, and how things were tough for them and their sister, after they had been killed in the accident.

Then, out of the blue, KE brought up the time, when they had been taken by their father to see the corpse of Earl Carnahan, who had been beaten up because he was "queer".  "Why did you have to bring that up, KE? It was a terrible thing to see. I bin tryin' to forget stuff like that."  KE then cautiously began to explain: 

"Ennis, I got somethin' ta tell ya." KE said, looking even more serious, and somewhat apprehensive. "Even before me and Brenda got married, I realized that I was, you know, 'different', but I didn't want to tell you or anyone else.  You see, what I'm tryin' ta tell ya, brother, is that I realize that I am what daddy taught us to hate.  Ya, I'm "queer", just like Earl."  Ennis's heart began to race, and his cheeks became flushed, as he heard his brother's "confession".  KE averted  his eyes and was almost shaking, half-expecting Ennis to go and get a tire iron, and thereby meet with the same ignominious fate as Earl.  Instead, Ennis just smiled, and said, "Come here, brother, we DO need to talk". Putting his arms around KE, as if to reassure him of his love and support,  Ennis went on to say, "Remember, back in '63, when I went herdin' sheep?  Well, I met this great guy named Jack Twist and...."

« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 03:49:27 am by THE WINGS »

Offline aileen

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Re: "Brotherly Love"
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2007, 08:20:37 am »
TBC?  8)

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
Re: One shots and other writings by THE WINGS
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2007, 10:01:25 am »
Brotherly Love

That story gave me goose bumps!
It was another great one! Again, I can't wait to read more!!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline THE WINGS

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2007, 06:28:12 pm »
loneleeb3: I like your signature line.  You are right, it's not reality, but our own fear that gets in the way of our dreams.  Just like Ennis.

Glad you enjoyed the story.  More coming? You bet!

THE WINGS

Offline THE WINGS

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Mountain Sage and....
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2007, 11:02:19 pm »
****SPOILERS****

Ennis always enjoyed his rare nights out, because it lessened his sense of loneliness that had been the routine of his life, especially since Jack's death, almost 10 months ago, to the day.  By about 9:30 p.m. Ennis was already feeling the effects of the alcohol, and while he was standing by the pool tables at the rear of the bar, he could see out of the corner of his eye, someone, in the shadows, and almost completely enveloped by the cigarette smoke hanging in the air, a figure, rather tall, and wearing a black Resistol.  Every once in a while, this fellow would look over in Ennis's direction, but as soon as Ennis would make the slightest move to make eye contact, he would would then quickly look away, and focus his attention on either the game of pool, or converse with another patron  Once in a while when the man got up to take a piss, he seemd to walk with a noticeable limp, as if he had some injury to his right leg.  Ennis just thought it must be some stranger passin' through, and true to his laconic nature, wasn't about to go up to a complete stranger and start up a conversation, especially with the way he was feeling tonight.  There was an odd, almost weird feeling that came over him, about this guy, but Ennis couldn't quite put his finger on it, and brushed it off, as some alcohol-induced fantasy, and ordered another whiskey and beer.

By about 12:30 a.m., Ennis decided it was probably best not to try to drive back out to his trailer, since this new home was another 17 miles further out of town, and although he knew he wasn't totally "shit-faced", he also knew he was in no condidtion to drive, and a "DUI" wouldn't help him in his ranching career, due to the travelling involved to get to some of the round-ups at different times of the year

Since he had stayed at the Black and Blue Eagle Bar, longer than he usually had of late, Ennis decided that the only place to stay was the Siesta Motel, which of course held some painful memories for him, but it was the closest, and, it was after all, only a short walk to the edge of town, and the main highway, where the motel was located.  Besides, Ennis thought to himself: "A bit of fresh air on a warm June evening, is probably what I need right now." As he made his way to the motel, Ennis thought he saw the "stranger" he had just seen in the bar, heading into the motel office.  "So he's an out-of-towner", Ennis thought.  As Ennis got closer to the motel, he noticed one of the vehicles in the lot, had an out-of-state plate, which of course wasn't in itself unusual, but he couldn't help but notice that it was from Texas.  The truck wasn't familiar, but Ennis assumed that it must belong to the stranger that he saw earlier.  Then the words, "Maybe Texas" came back to haunt him, and Ennis felt the familiar pain that came with such sudden, unexpected flashbacks.

The wind had picked-up from the southwest as Ennis headed toward his room, and he could almost smell that old familiar smell of mountain sage, which sometimes happened if the wind was coming from the right direction, and in his mind, he was immediately taken back to those beautiful days up on Brokeback so long ago.  Once he got to his room, Ennis just paused, and reflected on that night, some 16 years ago, when he and Jack had stayed here and planned their first of many "fishin' trips" that was to be their routine over the succeeding years.

All of a sudden there was a knock at the door.  Ennis's first thought, was, "Who the hell would be knockin' at this time of night. I signed in proper and all".  Again, there was another knock.  Ennis reluctantly opened the door a crack, and saw the stranger standing there, looking down, black Resistol hiding his face.  "What do ya want, bud?" said Ennis, obviously a bit irritated since he was definitely ready to get some needed sleep.

The reply, a bit tentative, yet strangely familiar, sent shivers down Ennis's back as he said: "Friend, it's me, Jack."

Ennis couldn't believe his ears and flung the door open to see that it was indeed Jack, although there was something different about his appearance. He now carried a pronounced scar above his left eye, which looked like it was the result of some kind of accident or even "worse", a thought which which Ennis couldn't bear to entertain at the moment, as visions of the corpse of Earl Carnahan, suddenly came back to his mind.

Ennis just said, "Jack f***** Twist", and then grabbed him and pulled him into the room.  As they embraced, Jack said, "I had to come and see ya, friend.  So much ta tell ya." Ennis could now smell along with the mountain sage, even the faintest hint of campfire smoke, which had permeated Jack's old familiar green coat, and the familiar, musky smell of Jack's sweat which made him wonder for a moment "Doesn't he ever get that coat cleaned?"  Of course he didn't care, as he was again with the love of his life, and for some unknown reason, he was still very much alive, unless, he thought, it was a ghost that he was holding in his arms.

Ennis was waiting for Jack to explain what had really happened, half-expecting to wake up, and find that this was all some cruel dream.  No, it wasn't a dream.  He and Jack just sat on the bed, holding each other, and then looking into one another's eyes. Ennis then decided to say in person, what he had been longing to say to Jack, ever since he said it, with a sad and lonely breath, as he held those two shirts close to his face, some 10 months ago....

tbc....
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 07:24:03 pm by THE WINGS »

Offline THE WINGS

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2007, 11:15:55 pm »
gary: You bet!  I haven't forgot that wonderful thread.  I've just had too many shall we say "long-winded" stories to post, so I didn't want to "overwhelm" the Jack with Ennis thread. Not to worry,  I will still come op with some "three sentence" stories as I can.  I just love the creative genius that is displayed by so many on this  board.  It will take me a whole lot of "Brokeback Summers" to read them all.  And a few winters too. LOL!

Take care, friend.

Doug

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2007, 11:18:55 pm »
 :) Yay!! I am so happy to have found this thread, Doug. I am really enjoying it. Great to touch base with you here at Bettermost, too!
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline THE WINGS

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2007, 11:33:14 pm »
Merr: I've bin around, just not as often as of late, and I will probably being "going dark" from home for a bit.  I'll still post from the library's computers, but that will only be for an hour a day, so between sending /receiving reguilar e-mailis and some LIMITED time over at IMDb, I'll still be in touch, and mainly here on my new home: BETTERMOST!

BTW: I got into it again with that "PatCro" troll/trolls, but we left everything on "neutral" for the time being.  He's back on IGNORE.  No point in wasting my limited online time with people like that.

Take care,

THE WINGS

Doug