Author Topic: OT: United 93 -- WILL YOU BE SEEING IT?  (Read 18372 times)

rtprod

OT: United 93 -- WILL YOU BE SEEING IT?
« on: April 25, 2006, 03:22:58 pm »
Hi everyone,

I saw it at an early press screening, and it's mind-blowing.  Absolutely brilliant.

However, I keep hearing more and more from many friends that they have no interest.  The stock line, and I'm hearing it about 90% of the time, is, "I don't think that I could see that."  This doesn't bode well for box office hopes if my litmus test holds any merit across the population. 

So the question is:  WILL YOU BE SEEING IT?

rt

slayers_creek_oth

Re: OT: United 93 -- WILL YOU BE SEEING IT?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 03:24:20 pm »
Yes I'll be screening it Thursday morning.....good is it? 

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 03:30:26 pm »
I'm not sure yet.  I have to get past this frustration and confusion about the need to know what happened on that flight, and what it's based on.

What did you like about it?

Juan
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

rtprod

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 03:32:18 pm »
It's very, very "good" and for different reasons.  First of all, it's a tightly-wound exercise in filmmaking, and Paul Greengrass knows what he is doing with his camera and editing.  Secondly, it's a valuable document.  In the end, it's a pretty terrifying experience.  

rt

Offline wtbgirl

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 03:34:01 pm »
As a New Yorker, honestly, I can't handle watching it in a theatre, even though the film focuses on the flight bound for Washington.  Two of my friends died in the World Trade Center - it was torture trying to watch that TV documentary on PBS a few years ago - and to this day I hate looking at that huge construction pit that was the WTC.  

Maybe I could watch it by myself in my apartment.

rtprod

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 03:35:34 pm »
Juan,

I was blown away by specific scenes in this film, the rising dread as air traffic and norad discover what's happening on Sept. 11 nearly real-time, the complete helplessness of the passengers and the pandemonium that breaks out in the cabin, with a plane being flown at super-speed and far too low, utter chaos erupts when the hijack finally happens (an hour into the film) and the final attempted passenger coup...well, just see it.  It is a classy film without an ounce of sensationalism, it simply mounts a terrifying episode with filmmaking economy and the emotions on that plane are just primal.

rt

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 03:37:10 pm »
umm, probably not in the theatre, I have an aversion to flying anyway so when I find out a movie has something bad happening to the passengers (like turbulence or crashes etc) I tend to not want to see them - add to that the horror that plays in my mind regarding those terrorist-flown planes and what happended to all of them - let's just say, I'm real uneasy about seeing it visually.................
Judy

"it could be like this, just like this, always......" Jack Twist

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 03:37:20 pm »
Sorry about your loss Amy.

Yes I will be seeing it, I actually don't really know everything about this particular story, and am interested in knowing more.

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 03:43:10 pm »
Sorry to hear that you lost two friends Amy.  I only knew one person who died; we'd been out of touch but it was still shocking.

Interesting to be going back and forth between this thread and the one that's currently on Michael Moore.  Maybe a documentary would have me more interested than a movie where it's assumed that some of the story is embellished for dramatic effect.

Juan
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

Offline wtbgirl

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 03:44:36 pm »
Thanks Brandon - it's OK, it's been some time, and I've made as much peace with 9/11 as I'm ever going to make.

I think United 93 is actually a good story to tell, I don't find the fact that they made this film offensive in any way, honestly, I hope it does do well - it has gotten good reviews, and I think the passengers deserve their story to be told.  

For me, I think it's just one of those things I need to see alone, at home.