Author Topic: OT: United 93 -- WILL YOU BE SEEING IT?  (Read 18247 times)

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
Re: OT: United 93 -- WILL YOU BE SEEING IT?
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2006, 12:28:41 am »
It's very hard to communicate this through writing without sounding insensitive or crass.  I don't understand why there is a need to know what happened.  I think the Slate article articulated my thoughts about it better than I can. 

The stuff about trying to find something redemptive in the hijackings and the attacks to regain a sense of control.  With a pointless war going on, I'm not really seeing much to be optimistic about.  I'm really not trying to be provocative, I thinking out loud and the prospect of the movie freaks me out.  But who knows, I may see it and change my mind.  So far, none of my friends want to see it though.

Juan
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2006, 10:03:04 am »
I just saw it last night, my advice: Go see it. It was unlike any movie I've seen. It was really like you were you watching it as it was happening back on September 11th. It leaves you with a lot of respect for the passengers on 93, who gave their lives to save the lives of others, and stand up for their country.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 10:08:03 am by EnnisDelMar »

rtprod

« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2006, 11:10:07 am »
I just saw it last night, my advice: Go see it. It was unlike any movie I've seen. It was really like you were you watching it as it was happening back on September 11th. It leaves you with a lot of respect for the passengers on 93, who gave their lives to save the lives of others, and stand up for their country.

I can't imagine how they did this after realizing the plane was on a kamikaze mission, but they did.  They were driven by this unknowable force, an innate and primal drive to do what was "right" even though they likely knew the outcome.  That fact that they did this in such a panicked rush without a clear strategy, under such duress, is really something. 

rt
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 11:23:02 am by rtprod »

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2006, 06:26:33 pm »
I will be seeing the movie, hopefully some time this week.  Since few materials were available on what exactly happened on the plane, I am interested in how they are going to tell the story.

Offline kirkmusic

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Minstrel
« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2006, 01:55:38 am »
There was a Rolling Stone article about the flight some years ago and it was an amazing story.  Since the film is getting such great reviews I will be seeing it.  I see anything that is so well received.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2006, 09:34:20 am »
I don't mean to be a provocateur, here, and I hope no one will take this as being somehow disrespectful or unpatriotic, but a question keeps knocking around in my brain about this.  I admit, I haven't seen the movie and only know as much about what happened on that specific flight as was reported in the media in and around the time.  But...  Is it possible that the innate, primal urge you speak of, RT, is the drive to survive?  When my husband and I have talked about this, his being a pilot and all especially, he's said that if he were on that flight as a passenger, sure as shit he'd try to take over the flight, not specifically to try to save people on the ground, but to try to save everyone on that plane.  I've always looked at it like they knew from people on their cell phones what had already happened, and so they knew they were going to crash.  My innate drive, I think, would have been first and foremost not to.

Again, I don't mean to take away from their heroism - in fact I mean to add to it, because I think it's still incredibly brave to take that chance rather than to just sit there and cry and let someone else determine your fate.
No more beans!

rtprod

« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2006, 10:52:04 am »
Hi Barb,

Never anything wrong with being a provocateur, is there? 

You are right on target and that is what I was referring to when I spoke of that primal urge --- in the film, it is to survive and not depicted as anything heroic or patriotic.  It is simply to take over the plane and land safely.

rt

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #67 on: May 08, 2006, 01:14:45 pm »
Hi Barb,

Never anything wrong with being a provocateur, is there? 

You are right on target and that is what I was referring to when I spoke of that primal urge --- in the film, it is to survive and not depicted as anything heroic or patriotic.  It is simply to take over the plane and land safely.

Excellent.  And that just sold me on it - completely.  I will absolutely see it now - hopefully this weekend.
No more beans!