Author Topic: Summer in the Rocky Mountains!  (Read 34456 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Summer in the Rocky Mountains!
« Reply #100 on: June 21, 2009, 05:40:22 pm »
The first wildflower hike of the season was yesterday. It's been quite rainy, so lots of flowers were blooming. In addition, we saw a family of wild turkey vultures.

Today, I'm relaxing at home. Here's a photo of the garden, complete with kitty:

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #101 on: July 21, 2009, 09:31:23 am »
Stay tuned for new scenes of summer in the Rocky Mountains...including Wyoming pics, too!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #102 on: May 25, 2010, 10:30:36 pm »
Actually I did end up drinking one bottle of stream water, but I treated it with iodine pills first. Don't need no beaver fever, no way.

On "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" this was predicted to be the next major crisis...an outbreak of Beaver Fever!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #103 on: March 24, 2011, 02:27:02 pm »
 You may have heard about a wildfire in Golden. It's not threatening my house...there are two mountains between it and me. It's burning about 1500 acres, but it's actually a good thing because there is a lot of dead wood in that area due to the mountain pine beetle, and it needs to burn. Better now than later in the summer, when it will be even harder to control. The smoke has been rather bad though and I've been sneezing a lot.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #104 on: March 24, 2011, 02:32:33 pm »
You may have heard about a wildfire in Golden. It's not threatening my house...there are two mountains between it and me. It's burning about 1500 acres, but it's actually a good thing because there is a lot of dead wood in that area due to the mountain pine beetle, and it needs to burn. Better now than later in the summer, when it will be even harder to control. The smoke has been rather bad though and I've been sneezing a lot.

I saw something about the fire on national TV news, but then almost immediately it dropped off NBC's radar screen.

Gesundheit.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Spring Has Finally Come to the Rocky Mountains!
« Reply #105 on: June 16, 2011, 02:52:57 pm »
When the flax blooms, it is a very special day for me. And that day has come! Here's my meadow as seen from my deck.

This flower could belong  to no one but Jack, wouldn't you agree?

The flower blooming is a little behind schedule this summer. I've only seen one flax blooming so far. But there are lots of golden banner, chickweed, and many other things. I saw my first blooming wild rose yesterday!

Every day this week a big dark blue cloud has risen up on the south or west horizon and rolling thunderclaps are soon heard. Sometimes it sounds like a metal roof being ripped off a house. Some days there are a few big angry raindrops thrown down; other days it is all bluster and no action at all. It's been a drama queen summer so far (just a few days before the equinox).

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: Spring Has Finally Come to the Rocky Mountains!
« Reply #106 on: June 16, 2011, 03:25:29 pm »
The flower blooming is a little behind schedule this summer. I've only seen one flax blooming so far. But there are lots of golden banner, chickweed, and many other things. I saw my first blooming wild rose yesterday!

Every day this week a big dark blue cloud has risen up on the south or west horizon and rolling thunderclaps are soon heard. Sometimes it sounds like a metal roof being ripped off a house. Some days there are a few big angry raindrops thrown down; other days it is all bluster and no action at all. It's been a drama queen summer so far (just a few days before the equinox).

Solstice.  ;)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #107 on: June 16, 2011, 03:41:43 pm »
I was just seeing if anyone was paying attention, Jeff!  8)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #108 on: June 16, 2011, 03:44:41 pm »
I was just seeing if anyone was paying attention, Jeff!  8)

;D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #109 on: October 08, 2011, 08:38:06 am »
Goodbye to summer in the Rocky Mountains. I can see in the gray dawn that there are 2 inches of snow on my deck!! Whatever happened to August?