Author Topic: Jack and Ennis figurines  (Read 10142 times)

moremojo

Jack and Ennis figurines
« on: July 04, 2007, 07:37:47 pm »
Howdy, all--

Not sure what board would be best for this post, which is definitely BBM-related, at any rate. I was just taking a glance at the website and blog of film critic David Ehrenstein (who, I'm sorry to report, despises Brokeback Mountain), and came across an illustration he provided to one of his entries, illustrating, of all things, apparent figurines of Ennis and Jack! Here is the link to the pertinent page (scroll down to the June 27, 2007 post--and I regret the vituperative language Ehrenstein favors):

http://fablog.ehrensteinland.com/

The home page of Mr. Ehrenstein's site can be accessed here:

http://www.ehrensteinland.com/

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Jack and Ennis figurines
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 09:07:56 pm »
From the site:

moremojo

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 09:12:24 pm »
Thanks for that, Clarissa. That way, folks can see the image for themselves without needing to access Ehrenstein's blog to do so (I wonder what the original source for this image is in the first place).

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 10:37:10 am »
Holy cow!  :o

Where did he get those? I want them. ...  ;D

It appears the figures are articulated; look at Ennis' left elbow.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

moremojo

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 11:39:51 am »
Good observation, Jeff! Now that I look more closely, it appears that Jack's right arm is similarly articulated (less clear on the left arm, but apparently jointed there too).

One could conceivably email Mr. Ehrenstein and ask him about his source (I once emailed him on a completely non-BBM-related matter, and he replied to me), but I'd be kind of nervous to do so, considering his intense antipathy to this film.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 12:12:09 pm »
The detail is amazing. Look at Jack's belt buckle. There even appears to be a design on Ennis' boots.

Funny that someone who so dislikes the film should illustrate his review with such amazng sculptures.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

moremojo

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 12:15:04 pm »
Oh, it wasn't a review, but rather a blog entry in which he was vituperatively suggesting that Chris Matthews is a closet case. Ehrenstein is a fine film critic, but he can be shockingly childish in his off-the-cuff discourse.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 01:18:25 pm »
Oh, it wasn't a review, but rather a blog entry in which he was vituperatively suggesting that Chris Matthews is a closet case. Ehrenstein is a fine film critic, but he can be shockingly childish in his off-the-cuff discourse.

"Hard Ball" Chris Matthews?  :o  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

(He's a native of row-house working-class Philadelphia, you know.)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 01:39:25 pm »

Maybe those are prototype action figures.. Wouldnt that be something.??

Beautiful mind

moremojo

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 01:43:04 pm »
(He's a native of row-house working-class Philadelphia, you know.)
I didn't know that, and apparently Ehrenstein doesn't either. Here's a quote from his entry: "...I know a crazed South Boston closet queen when I see one." And this is a typical example of the kind of comment Ehrenstein makes when he's writing without his professional hat on.