Author Topic: Jake Jake Jake!  (Read 3210731 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Jake Jake Jake!
« Reply #3040 on: August 14, 2007, 08:23:12 pm »
Well, thank God for that. But whether or not it happened before or after the start of the "war on terrorism" makes no difference to my point;  that wherever and whenever it happens it's a crime against humanity. (Though it does seem to make much more of an impression on us impressionable Europeans when it's the US, supposed to be the country upholding and defending human rights in the world - going about it as a matter of policy.)  I'd be sad to see Jake - or anyone else -  invovlved in saying otherwise, however armbiguously.

Seems we're not in agreement on this,  and this probably isn't the right place to discuss the current US administration's means and methods - so I'll leave it be now. Time will tell what message the film has on this.

We do agree, I also believe torture is inhuman and a violation of human rights.  I just believe that in times of war, horrible decisions are sometimes necessary.  Are they pleasant?  Something we won't regret?  Of course not, we're human.  War is inhuman and a crime against humanity, but I am sure there are very few people alive today who would say WWII shouldn't have been fought.  How many horrible decisions had to be made?  How many innocent people sacrificed for the good of the many? 

War is hell.

Abraham Lincoln during the Civil War suspended habeus corpus and a bunch of other constitutional rights, because we were at war.  Did those rights come back as peace broke out?  Yes, they did.  We Americans just have to be vigilant enough to ensure that they do.

As for Jake, some actors are politically motivated, others are more pure in their wish to be artists.  I'm not going to be disappointed in Jake because he took a role that possibly goes against my political beliefs.  As Ewan McGregor one time said, "Do we only want to make movies about people we like?"
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 08:01:00 am by delalluvia »

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #3041 on: August 14, 2007, 10:15:40 pm »
et.al.....  As Ewan McGregor one time said, "Do we only want to make movies about people we like?"

Or tell only pretty stories.  Sometimes it is the stories that make us uncomfortable, the ones about the ugly truth of things that brings such injustices to light.  Jake has said that he considers himself a story teller and he likes to tell stories that need to be told.  Rendtion may be an uncomfortable film to watch, much like Heath's "Candy" but these are still stories worth telling.

This is the plot synoposis for Rendition from Coming Attractions:

When Egyptian born terrorism suspect, Anwar El-Ibrahimi (Omar Metwalley) disappears on a flight from South Africa to Washington DC, his American wife, Isabella (Reese Witherspoon) travels to Washington to try and learn the reason for his disappearance. Meanwhile, at a secret detention facility somewhere outside the US, CIA analyst Douglas Freeman (Jake Gyllenhaal) is forced to question his assignment in an attempt to save thousands as he becomes a party to the unorthodox interrogation of El-Ibrahim.

This was posted on IMDB written by Director Gavin Hood

When an Egyptian terrorism suspect "disappears" on a flight from Africa to Washington DC, his American wife and a CIA analyst find themselves caught up in a struggle to secure his release from a secret detention facility somewhere outside the US.
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #3042 on: August 16, 2007, 02:41:36 am »
Towelroad posted these exclusive pic's snapped by a fan on the train from Paris to London.  They show a tired and sleepy Jake after all the hubb bubb at Canaan over Zodiac....

Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3043 on: August 16, 2007, 03:09:18 am »
How sweet Dot-Matrix, Dozy Jake! I bet he hardly ever gets any privacy....

Here's one with an article link about his upcoming role on Broadway:

August 15, 2007

Broadway Joins Gyllenhaal of Fame
http://gothamist.com/2007/08/15/broadway_joins.php

Photo credit: http://gothamist.com/attachments/arts_jen/2007_08_arts_gyll.jpg
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3044 on: August 16, 2007, 01:37:30 pm »
UPI is reporting that Peter Sarsgaard, Maggie's boyfriend, is sick with Lyme disease. He apparently got it from a tick bite while vacationing in Martha's Vineyard. I don't know how serious is this, but I hope he gets better soon.

Here's the scoop:

Actor Sarsgaard contracts Lyme disease
NEW YORK, Aug. 14 (UPI) -- Actor Peter Sarsgaard returned to New York with Lyme disease he got on vacation with girlfriend Maggie Gyllenhaal and their daughter, Ramona, OK! reports.

The threesome were on a holiday at Martha's Vineyard in Massachusetts when the actor was stricken with the disease carried by ticks, the magazine said.

"Peter got Lyme disease from a tick and had to leave Martha’s Vineyard for a week," a source said. Doctors reportedly recommended Sarsgaard return to his New York home to recuperate.

Source: http://www.upi.com
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #3045 on: August 16, 2007, 02:25:22 pm »

Fortunately that is a treatable thing when caught early enough..Its a different story when it goes on for a long time without detection.
       I think he is a wonderful actor, and enjoy him a lot.  I hope he has a speedy recovery.

Beautiful mind

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #3046 on: August 16, 2007, 08:26:47 pm »
I don't have a crush on Jake anymore. I think it is because everything come and goes. I used to have a crush on Keanu Reeves, and it's long gone too.

Keanu eh?

I think Keanu is nice, till he starts to talk (at then I just become very unimpressed by his acting abilities...)
 :-\

(pardon the interruption in the current conversation, i am very behind on the thread)
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #3047 on: August 17, 2007, 04:20:08 am »

Your presence is always welcome Kell and you are never an interruption. 

Beautiful mind

Offline opinionista

« Reply #3048 on: August 17, 2007, 07:05:41 am »
Keanu eh?

I think Keanu is nice, till he starts to talk (at then I just become very unimpressed by his acting abilities...)
 :-\

(pardon the interruption in the current conversation, i am very behind on the thread)

Oh, I agree Keanu can't act but he's hot, though sometimes he looks like a bum. Now, back to Jake!  ;D
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #3049 on: August 19, 2007, 10:54:06 am »
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger