Author Topic: Jake Jake Jake!  (Read 3198148 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Jake Jake Jake!
« Reply #3620 on: February 14, 2008, 08:19:05 pm »

For all we know, friends might have taken Jake out to cheer him up.

Just a thought.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #3621 on: February 14, 2008, 08:27:41 pm »
I agree with both of you myprivatejack and louise in different ways.

I admit that I don't entirely understand Jake's behavior surrounding Heath's passing and funeral.  We have very little info to go on, so in a way that's part of the confusion.  And, I'm not convinced that work is a great excuse for missing a funeral.  But, really, we don't know what's going on with Jake so it's hard to speculate.  And, I certainly can understand why tabloid-esque reporting into the state of Jake's grief would be intrusive and undesirable.  But, on the other hand, I really don't understand why Jake hasn't felt the urge to offer a eulogy (however brief) in the form of a statement (or something).  It's just nice to know that important people in Heath's life have marked his passing (like Ang Lee's nice statement, and even Michelle's).  And, I think a eulogy is a very different thing than a reporter intruding on a grief-stricken person's grief.  I truly don't understand.  I still find it hard to believe that we've heard from Daniel Day-Lewis on this but not Jake.

For me, as a Brokie, I feel like we're missing some element of closure with Jake's absence at the moment.  I'm not usually interested too much in the activities of celebrities (I hardly ever frequented JJJ or HHH here at BetterMost until the passing of Heath).  But, now this situation with Jake is bothering me to a degree that's surprising even to me.

But, yes, I'm glad to know Jake is moving on and is able to do something relatively enjoyable like go to a concert.

For all we know, friends might have taken Jake out to cheer him up.

Just a thought.

I hope so del.  That's a nice idea.  I still think it's very striking that it was a Wainwright concert... of all the concerts to attend... to choose a BBM related performer is interesting.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3622 on: February 14, 2008, 08:28:25 pm »

"Wainwright on Heath Ledger's death: "I wrote this song for Rivers Phoenix when he died. Now I sort of see it as Heath Ledger's song. Like my friend said, 'They always die after playing a gay person.'"

No idea how he meant it  :-\

River Phoenix played a gay hustler in My Own Private Idaho. Two years after the movie was released he died. It is a bit similar to what happened with Heath. I guess that's what he meant. Not sure though.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3623 on: February 14, 2008, 08:34:40 pm »

River Phoenix played a gay hustler in My Own Private Idaho. Two years after the movie was released he died. It is a bit similar to what happened with Heath. I guess that's what he meant. Not sure though.

Hey Bud,
Yes.  I think that's exactly what he meant (even though the quotation itself sounds a little odd when read... maybe it was different to hear him say it).

But, in case folks missed it... Chrissi has discovered some incredible, incredible... almost spooky visual links between Brokeback and My Own Private Idaho.

She posted about it over in Open Forum in a thread about visual role models for Ennis and BBM generally.
http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,15482.msg302723.html#msg302723

When you look at the pictures from My Own Private Idaho and think about some of the imagery from BBM... it's absolutely amazing.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #3624 on: February 15, 2008, 02:42:49 am »
I agree with both of you myprivatejack and louise in different ways.

I admit that I don't entirely understand Jake's behavior surrounding Heath's passing and funeral.  We have very little info to go on, so in a way that's part of the confusion.  And, I'm not convinced that work is a great excuse for missing a funeral.  But, really, we don't know what's going on with Jake so it's hard to speculate.  And, I certainly can understand why tabloid-esque reporting into the state of Jake's grief would be intrusive and undesirable.  But, on the other hand, I really don't understand why Jake hasn't felt the urge to offer a eulogy (however brief) in the form of a statement (or something).  It's just nice to know that important people in Heath's life have marked his passing (like Ang Lee's nice statement, and even Michelle's).  And, I think a eulogy is a very different thing than a reporter intruding on a grief-stricken person's grief.  I truly don't understand.  I still find it hard to believe that we've heard from Daniel Day-Lewis on this but not Jake.

For me, as a Brokie, I feel like we're missing some element of closure with Jake's absence at the moment.  I'm not usually interested too much in the activities of celebrities (I hardly ever frequented JJJ or HHH here at BetterMost until the passing of Heath).  But, now this situation with Jake is bothering me to a degree that's surprising even to me.

But, yes, I'm glad to know Jake is moving on and is able to do something relatively enjoyable like go to a concert.

Thanks for that Amanda. I think this is how a lot of people feel about all this, including myself. It's puzzling.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #3625 on: February 15, 2008, 05:20:23 am »

For me, as a Brokie, I feel like we're missing some element of closure with Jake's absence at the moment. 

This is what I've been feeling too. Thank you for expressing it. Especially the missing eulogy, - just a few words, could be in writing, through his publicist - now that Jake is obviously out and going about his life...

I've actually had a look a while back to see who will be Oscar presenters. It hadn't been published yet. Someone launched the idea that Jake Emight do an introduction to the "In memoriam" section - I totally discounted that idea as inconceivable at the time, but now after having seen the BAFTA tribute I'm hoping that it might actually happen despite all odds. I think there's a case for singling out Heath in a few sentences over everyone else who passed, because his death was so untimely; - the rest of the people to be remembered died after living longer, fuller lives - most of them in old age.  If something like that is in the works, it might explain Jake's silence at this point.

ETA: The Oscar presenters have just been announced now. Just had a look, and.. Jake is not among them (but Anne Hathaway is). So that idea has been shot down, then. Oh well.

I must admit I've been worried that Jake is at a place where he's quite tired of everything Brokeback and "fears" he won't be allowed to/ able to move on as an actor. (IMO; the appearance he made in the Jonathan Ross (?) show hinted at that. He was there to promote the (in all honesty) mediocre "Rendition" and the interviewer first spent half the time praising Brokeback - Jake actually seemed miffed, for him.) I've been wondering whether his absence in everything to do with Heath's passing is not only because he's mourning his friend (I don't doubt that for a second) but also because he's in a place coming to terms with the fact that Heath's passing means he'll have to talk Brokeback all the time - again - because future interviews etc. will of course bring up Heath and their roles and the film etc, and he'll not be able to escape it...

As a Brokie, of course I'm maybe too sensitive to this issue,  - but I do hope this is not the case, and that I'm wrong in my impression, and that he continues to be nothing but immensely proud of Brokeback (well, I don't at all doubt that, honestly), but also happy and ready to discuss it, and ready to talk about Heath in that context.

And before anyone starts blasting me for this post; Yes, I still love Jake and will continue to follow his career and his movies as I have for the past 2 years. I think the guy's human, is all.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #3626 on: February 15, 2008, 05:42:50 am »

I know Natali. Of course he referred to this. But still, it's a kinda strange thing to say  :-\
But no one of us was there and therefore we don't know if he said it like this and in what tone it was said. Given the fact that Rufus liked River enough and was moved by his dead enough to make a song about him, and given that Rufus was involved in BBM by singing his song, I can't imagine he meant it in any disrespectful way.

Re Jakey going out to the concert: I'm glad for him he did.
Re Jake not making any kind of statement about Heath: nobody's business but his.

Offline myprivatejack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Little darlin´
« Reply #3627 on: February 15, 2008, 05:50:40 am »
Well,I agree and I don't with what you've said,I'll explain myself:everybody when loses somebody closer is allowed to quit job in order to go to the burial; and Jake,even working in his movie,is known that got an aeroplane as soon as he knew it.So maybe the filming was not a problem so unavoidable...you've gone once,you can do it twice,mostly if it's for something so important to give the last farewell to a close friend,huh?.
I understand that friends could have taken him out for some relief,mainly if they saw him very devastated and even in spite of his own feeling like going out...Right,when my mother died my partner took me few days after to "celebrate" that my football team was the Spanish League's Champion.I'm aware that any known person who saw me could think that my behaviour was unacceptable;but I was weak enough as not to messing myself between a lot of persons jumping and shouting,since I went by car following the fans caravan and crying when I felt like doing it-it´s rather more intimate  than being on a concert...-.I'm also aware that everybody has their own way to overcome sadness when they're in public and that Jake doesn't have to react the  same than me,but...
As regards as making a public statement,why should he do it?Yes,atz75,it's strange that Daniel Day-Lewis-a man who didn't know Heath,but all a gentleman in my opinion-has made an statement and Jake hasn't.But the point is this,that Daniel DIDN´T KNOW HIM and,in spite of this,cried for his loss,but he was strong enough as to speak publically,do you understand what I mean?.Jake's grief is supposed to be greater than the one of all these actors who have spoken about.Of course,paparazzi expected him to talk,why? to say how sad he was?Or seeing him attending the burial,also why?.To,as somebody said,seeing him throwing to the coffin by shouting"Don't go,don't go?".To throw against them a lot of shit by gossiping about their relationship?NO.For me,this is not the real question.
Simply,I don't understand his reaction,not as much as being in silence,as not being by his friend side in his last journey and behave as if nothing had happenned afterwards.Bearing in mind,however,that tabloids speak a lot and not always with the truth.That's all.
I like your silences,quiet conversations of evident sensations,where our words are life´s tinsels.
The lost illusions are the found truths.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #3628 on: February 15, 2008, 06:35:12 am »
Well, making no statement where one would not have been inappropriate, indeed where one has been anticipated by many, is also a statement IMO. Just a more ambiguous one. And I think Jake is fully aware of that.

The most "tabloid" story of all, IMO, is the idea that Jake's been grieving to the point where he's been incapacitated for weeks. It seems like the stuff the most insincere of tabloids would dream up for sensationalist purposes. Jake's been seen out on various occasions during this period and he's been filming "Brothers". Whatever is happening - he's managing to go about his life. Which is all good. 

Offline opinionista

« Reply #3629 on: February 15, 2008, 06:47:51 am »
Hey Bud,
Yes.  I think that's exactly what he meant (even though the quotation itself sounds a little odd when read... maybe it was different to hear him say it).

I know Natali. Of course he referred to this. But still, it's a kinda strange thing to say  :-\
But no one of us was there and therefore we don't know if he said it like this and in what tone it was said. Given the fact that Rufus liked River enough and was moved by his dead enough to make a song about him, and given that Rufus was involved in BBM by singing his song, I can't imagine he meant it in any disrespectful way.

I'm not sure how to explain in English what I think he meant by it. But I'll give it a shot. There has been so much "controversy" and expressions of hatred coming from certain social groups against not just BBM but all gay themed movies and  the fact that young hollywood "hearthrobs" like River, Keanu (he also played a hustler in MOPI), Heath and Jake went ahead and played gay, and even kissed on screen (River did much more than that) it is safe to say some of them after learning about either River or Heath's  death said it was "punishment from God for playing gay". Given the fact that, as Chrissi says, Rufus was deeply moved by River's death and was involved in the making of Brokeback Mountain, I can only imagine he was being sarcastic. And maybe that comment was addressed to someone in particular as a criticism. That's the only rational explanation I can think of and I hope you understood me!

BTW, I was also very moved by River's death. I had a crush on him since he starred in Stand By Me. I loved River Phoenix.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.