Author Topic: Jake Jake Jake!  (Read 3206453 times)

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
Re: Jake Jake Jake!
« Reply #4630 on: June 14, 2009, 02:15:29 pm »
New Brothers stills:

http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/36005764.html

Seeing those stills, makes me want to see this movie even more. It's set to open here in November. Can't wait.

SPOILER

I will try and find out beforehand how that particular scene with Michael in Afghanistan is handled in this remake. The original version was on tv here a while ago and I knew 'something terrible' was going to happen to Michael and when the scene started I pretty much figured it out. I didn't want to watch it and went to the kitchen. It took a while until my husband called out to me that it was safe to come back in. He said it was pretty gruesome...
If it's the same in the remake, I might have to prepare myself.  :-\

Hey - you beat me to it.  :) Brothers is the one film of Jake's in the works that I'm really looking forward to. Having seen the stills, my expectations haven't been reduced though I do think Tobey M. looks too young for his role. But of course I'm comparing him to the Danish actor who played the original role.

By and large I think Amrican re-makes of foreign original films are never as good as the original - I hope this one will be the exception that confirms the rule. It will have to be *really* good in that case, since I was very moved by the Danish original.

Oh, erm....  I misspoke. About looking forward to only one film. There's two. If that rumoured film with Jake and Anne Hathaway is confirmed and goes ahead, I'm looking forward to that one too. A lot!!  I *love* Anne, she's so beautiful and talented! And seeing those two on the dance floor in Brokeback I never fail to think that they really are among the most attractive and charming actors/actresses in their generation.

I agree Mikaela. Although he's actually eight years older than Jake. But he looks very young.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #4631 on: June 14, 2009, 02:25:47 pm »

SPOILER

I will try and find out beforehand how that particular scene with Michael in Afghanistan is handled in this remake. [  ] It took a while until my husband called out to me that it was safe to come back in. He said it was pretty gruesome...
If it's the same in the remake, I might have to prepare myself.  :-\

It *was* gruesome, - difficult to watch.

I must admit I am envisioning a more "heroic" sort of scene in the American version. No offense to our American friends, but their films by and large contain a patriotism/heroism combo that you don't often see them deviating from in war films (as far as the main protagonists are concerned).

Depicting an American soldier in that situation in the yet ongoing war in Afghanistan in an American film is not equivalent with depicting a Danish one in a Danish film. Danes have less of a "pride of the nation" image to live up to - less cultural and historic expectations on their soldiers' shoulders.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #4632 on: June 14, 2009, 02:41:41 pm »
It *was* gruesome, - difficult to watch.

I must admit I am envisioning a more "heroic" sort of scene in the American version. No offense to our American friends, but their films by and large contain a patriotism/heroism combo that you don't often see them deviating from in war films (as far as the main protagonists are concerned).

Depicting an American soldier in that situation in the yet ongoing war in Afghanistan in an American film is not equivalent with depicting a Danish one in a Danish film. Danes have less of a "pride of the nation" image to live up to - less cultural and historic expectations on their soldiers' shoulders.

That's a good point and you might be right. I just wish the violence would me more implied instead of explicit. I know that violence is more tolerated than sex in (American) movies but I hope this director will show more restraint than the Danish director apparently did. I remember standing in the kitchen, waiting for the scene to be over, fretting about what an enormous impact being forced to do something like that must have on a person. And then coming home and discovering that the people you were staying alive for basically 'cheated on you'. (Whether or not actual cheating went on, Michael certainly felt betrayed.)

Which is basically my point, 'not seeing' the violence made me think more about the impact and the brutality of war.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4633 on: June 17, 2009, 11:53:05 pm »

Here is a video of Jake, Heath, and Anne appearing at the Venice film festival.   Jake had Maggie along and
Ang Lee his wife and two sons, on the Red Carpet.
    So much water  under the bridge since this was taken but it was a joyous surprise to find it.  I dont know
who has or has not seen it.  But it was something I had never seen before...enjoy

Thanks to Wet Dark and Wild for the chance to bring the linc here.

http://wetdarkandwild.blogspot.com/

Beautiful mind

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #4634 on: June 18, 2009, 03:03:28 am »
These videos were new to me. Thank you very much!  :D
BbM, I swear

Offline MilAn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4635 on: June 18, 2009, 04:50:43 pm »
All of the honorees from film and television were present, with actors from their projects presenting them. Ang Lee ("Brokeback Mountain") was introduced by the quiet, softspoken Heath Ledger and the charming and gregarious Jake Gyllenhaal. They talked about what an honor and a privilege working on the film had been and how Ang's direction helped them grow as actors. When Heath and Jake introduced him, they both started to tear up and gave the director hugs when he reached the stage. The soft-spoken director took a moment, looked back at them with a smile, turned to the audience and said, "I don't know, guys. That felt kind of gay to me."

Talk about exploding a stereotype! We must have laughed for five solid minutes!

There was joke after joke about "Brokeback" all evening, and not a single one was derogatory or mean-spirited. That's entertainment.

http://livinginturnaround.blogspot.com/2009/06/horray-for-hollywood-memories-of.html

Offline MilAn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4636 on: June 22, 2009, 06:28:30 am »
Today Emily and I saw Reese Witherspoon and Jake Gyllenhaal at the movie theater in Georgetown. The kids took Doug and the rest of us to see the movie Up -- it was sooo cute. Emily had to go back to argue about our parking fee, and the two of them were in line behind her. I had gone looking for Em, and caught a glimpse of them -- I guess it's always fun to see stars, kind of like seeing the rare fish when you're snorkeling or something...Emily smiled and said hi to them, but they ignored her:-( She thought he seemed like a jerk...in that whole 2-minute encounter!

http://comingtogetherinarlington.blogspot.com/2009/06/ive-been-bad-blogger-but-no-one-except.html

Aww, it seems Jake and Reese weren't in a good mood.

Offline MilAn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4637 on: June 22, 2009, 03:01:04 pm »
Jake and Reese in Washington DC:

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #4638 on: June 22, 2009, 03:06:07 pm »
Jake and Reese in Washington DC:

they already look like an old married couple with their matching hats and color coordinated clothing:)

Offline MilAn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4639 on: June 25, 2009, 01:22:21 pm »
I think they like each other a lot.  :)

Here's another from the set where Reese is filming now: