Author Topic: Intrusive thoughts about Jack and Randall -- by diabolique-1  (Read 3562 times)

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Intrusive thoughts about Jack and Randall **SPOILERS**   
  by diabolique-1     (Sun Feb 12 2006 03:58:06 )   
Ignore this User | Report Abuse   
I have browsed this board frequently if not exhaustively and am a bit surprised by the absence of comments on the relationship between Jack and Randall. Perhaps I missed them (if so I sincerely apologize as the last thing this board needs is yet another redundant thread) or, even worse, completely misunderstood this part of the story (blame it on the accents!). The fact is that since my second viewing of BBM a dreadful theory has been insinuating itself to me...

What if by the time of his death Jack was effectively getting over Ennis?

Okay, I spent several days being consumed by (and perhaps morbidly relishing) the devastating tragedy of Jack and Ennis' undying, unfulfilled love. But after seeing the film again, with a bit more detachment possibly because of my husband's presence this time around, I was really stuck on John Twist's comment about Jack supposedly planning on leaving Lureen and moving in with Randall. Did I hear that right?? Would this not be a total betrayal of his love for/relationship with Ennis? I mean, it is one thing to be in a loveless marriage of convenience... but now Jack would be entering a much more committed and certainly more intimate relationship with another partner. Had he stayed alive and moved on with things, what would have been Jack's response to Ennis' last post card, or would he even have gotten it?

I also couldn't help noticing how much these two men's lives had diverged during those 20 years. Jack was no longer a dreamy young cowboy, but a willful and self-possessed middle-aged man. He had become so much more sophisticated: he now worried about inflation, went to benefit dinners and wanted to spend winters in Mexico. Ennis, on the other hand, was fundamentally unchanged. I can't imagine that his fatalism, to say nothing of the restricting demands of his daily life, wouldn't eventually wear Jack out. Perhaps "August" was the last straw? (and by the way, why did Jack lie about having an affair with the foreman's wife? Why would he admit to having sex with a male prostitute but omit Randall?)

This is such a dismal possibility... Someone please tell me that I am full of it! After all, there were those two heart-wrenching lines "Sometimes I miss you so much I can't stand it" and "I wish I knew how to quit you"...

Re: Intrusive thoughts about Jack and Randall **SPOILERS**   
  by Wooski     (Sun Feb 12 2006 04:02:00 )   

You have a point. But people often settle for 2nd best when their first choice is just not available to them. It doesnt mean he doesnt love Ennis any less. Just that he has to get on with his life and he wants a gay relationship.

How Jake can possibly say that Jack isnt gay is beyond me....
  by ray-390     (Sun Feb 12 2006 04:21:07 )   
More accurately, from the veiwpoint of a gay man, Jack didn't "want" a gay relationship but rather he 'needed' a gay relationship.

~ Singles Dances? I thought we were dating! ~
  by calico_demon     (Sun Feb 12 2006 04:25:38 )   
You have a point. But people often settle for 2nd best when their first choice is just not available to them. It doesnt mean he doesnt love Ennis any less. Just that he has to get on with his life and he wants a gay relationship.

This is how i took it..

Jack wanted Ennis. He made that perfectly clear on a number of occasions, but ennis kept turning him down. Rather than spend the last 20 years of his life on his own (or in an unfulfilling straight relationship) Jack had begun to contemplate the possiblity of settling down with someone else. I don't think this has any bearing on his love for ennis at all, or that he was starting to get over him
  by gduch2001     (Sun Feb 12 2006 04:46:33 )   
I agree with the first poster - I feel that it rather screwed up the idea that the story was a real big love story betwen J and Ennis- . Not that he mgight not have become tired of Ennis' apparnet inability to make their relationship grow - I mean by the 1980s they mgiht have been able to live together without being attacked by queer bashers - I would have thought that Ennis might at least have considered trying out bieng with Jack. I agree that in those circs, when Ennis kept on refusing, J. might ahve decided to settle for Randall as second best... but AND THIS IS THE POINT I KEEP COMING BACK TO... surely they could have talked about it? I knwo they are inarticulate, esp Ennis, but now and again they coudl have said a few words? he could have said, "Ennis, Im tired of living on my own most of hte time, if you wont move in with me or try to see me more often, Im splitting up with you, Im going to find soemone else"...

probably what J intended was to move in with Randall (if he was willing) and cheat on him with Ennis -

by typhonblue     (Sun Feb 12 2006 13:12:07 )   
And maybe what you're seeing is Jack accepting what Ennis could give him, realizing that it wasn't enough for him, and moving on to a new PRIMARY relationship in his life. Instead of his wife being primary, Randal would be. And he still might see Ennis on the side.

www.blackandbluetriangle.com/forum
  by loubyloo3     (Sun Feb 12 2006 13:21:21 )   
What it comes down to is how far you want to believe in the presence of TRUE love & soulmates.

Was Ennis' & Jack's love so strong & true that they could never quit each other?

or

Do you believe that the idea of one true love is too unrealistic & that in the end Jack would have had to move on & finally quit Ennis for good?
[Post deleted]   
This message has been deleted by the poster
[Post deleted]   
  by strawbs04     (Fri Apr 14 2006 17:53:19 )   
One of the key components that Ang Lee pushes into the fabric of the characters and the entire movie is ambiguity. Yes, it is painful to think that Jack possibly got over Ennis and sincerely wanted to move in with Randall. It's up to interpretation, but I believe that he did not. I don't think Jack would have held Ennis so tight had he been planning on getting rid of him. I think he'd probably had just left and not talked to him for a long time. Also, I think Jack was just peeved about the fight, and this is why he told his parents about Randall moving home with him instead of Ennis. Like his father said, that idea had come to pass, and it didn't happen. Jack said he wished that he knew how to quit him, and I think that means he didn't know how. If you look at the story, I don't see how Jack could have been done with Ennis after all those years, but it's up to interpretation, which is all the better. The cool thing is that you really don't know and that's why the movie sticks with you so much.
  by joyce023     (Thu Apr 27 2006 11:30:38 )   
bump
  by NewHorizons37     (Sun Feb 12 2006 06:02:00 )   
UPDATED Sun Feb 12 2006 15:37:09
You raise good questions. There have been some threads about whether Jack was moving on from Ennis after their last scene together, whether he would even be back in November had he lived, and whether he ever really had something going with Randall. These threads are old enough that you wouldn't be able to find them easily; just mentioning that what follows are not necessarily my personal insights.

I don't think it betrays the love story between Jack and Ennis, if Jack was ready to move on with Randall, or keep seeing Ennis but also have a relationship with Randall (which for all we know may have been going on already, for 5 years.) Jack wanted a life with Ennis, he made it clear for 20 years, and if Ennis had given him that I have no doubt he would have stayed faithful. But after 20 years nothing had changed, and Ennis made it clear that things were not going to change, in fact they were about to get together less often. Someone not getting their needs met after 20 years is justified in moving on. If anyone betrayed the love story, it was Ennis (in my opinion.)

About why he lied about having an affair with LaShawn when it really was Randall: recall how that conversation started. He asked Ennis about why he had never married again, probably hoping Ennis would say something about how he, Jack, was the only person for him. But instead, Ennis says he's putting the blocks to the waitress. So Jack comes back with his own story, false of course, about his trysts with a woman. Then he can't keep up the pretense and says, "The truth is. . .sometimes I miss you so much that I can hardly stand it."

The next morning, when he admits to going to Mexico, it's when they have started to fight and it's no holds barred.

As for being in a "committed" relationship with Randall, it's not clear how committed it was. I don't think he loved Randall, but he was someone available and willing.

Your comment about how Ennis and Jack's lives had diverged was very insightful. A lot of that has to do with economic class. A review I read noted how different class levels and the associated conflicts are not usually touched on in relationship movies. But that clearly played a big role in their final conflict.
  by iluvmovies2000     (Sun Feb 12 2006 06:34:08 )   
IMO, the argument scene was the last straw...it's clear in his face and his voice. When he says "You have NO idea how bad it gets"...it's heartbreaking. Jack is PISSED OFF...he's been the one to travel all those long miles everytime they meet for 20 years and Ennis still refuses to meet him half-way(I don't mean that literally, I mean in terms of at least trying to live a life together). And to top it off, Jack, who has been almost starving these past 20 years, gets a death threat from Ennis just for getting a few crumbs from under someone else's table. Jack was basically sick of Ennis trying to have it both ways...to act possessive and yet not commit. The flashback seen wraps things up...the contrast between young hopeful Jack, and older frustrated, hurt, and spent Jack. Jack watching Ennis ride off on his horse, knowing he'll see him again very soon...and Jack watching Ennis drive off, NOT knowing if he'll ever see him again. Jack looks almost as if all of the passion had been drained out of him, and I think if Ennis was going to keep refusing, Jack would just keep getting drained.

I think death or no death, Jack at that point let Ennis go...he had to. There's a great quote I read once that sums that up, it goes "Never make someone your priority, if they are only willing to make you their option". I also don't think Jack was into Randall...at the dinner scene, Randall makes a look at Jack, and Jack pretty much dismisses it, he shows no return interest...and when they are talking on the bench, when Randall mentions the fishing idea, Jack just looks displaced...to me he seemed upset that it was coming from Randall's mouth instead of Ennis'...he seems bitter. So after Jack's last meeting with Ennis, Jack "concedes", and plans to fix up the ranch with Randall instead.
  by dancinjinn     (Sun Feb 12 2006 06:39:39 )   
I agree with New Horizons (as usuual). Jack spent 20 years doing everything he could to be with Ennis and get Ennis to make a solid commitment to him. But after all that time, Ennis was no closer to being willing (able?) to settle down with Jack and gave Jack no hope whatsoever that he would EVER be able to give Jack what he needed. For example, he never said anything like "When the girls are both 18 and I don't have to pay child support anymore, I'll be able to be with you more". (This wouldn't have been too far in the future by their last meeting).

In fact, Ennis almost seemed to be moving further away from Jack. He cancelled out on August at the last second. Jack's comment, "You used to come away easy. Now it's like seein' the pope", showed things were definitely not getting any closer to what Jack needed from Ennis.
So after 20 years, Jack finally decided that he didn't want to spend the next 20 years of his life trying to get something that wasn't possible. He needed a committed relationship and he was willing to look for that from Randall, even though nothing would ever change Jack's love for Ennis.

As the OP said, Jack had changed in 20 years but Ennis hadn't. Jack had lost his youthful idealism and hope and was now trying to be pragmatic so he wouldn't become more bitter and unhappy. The cut between the blissful, hopeful young Jack in the flashback and the tired, broken older Jack watching Ennis leave for the last time showed that so poignantly.

I personally feel that the loss of hope in Jack and Ennis' relationship made the story MORE tragic than just Jack's death would have been. If Jack and Ennis had been happily together at the time of Jack's death, that still would have been a very sad story - but at least Ennis would have the peace of knowing that he had done everything possible to be with Jack and that Jack was happy at the time he died. As it is, he's left with regrets, knowing Jack was trying to move on from him, knowing he let his one true love slip away even before he died. Damn, that's sad.
  by SuperBatMan     (Thu Mar 23 2006 00:07:39 )   
"met after 20 years is justified in moving on. If anyone betrayed the love story, it was Ennis (in my opinion.) "

I completely agree with you NewHorizons....only to a certain point. But i too got the feeling that Ennis was too much of a wuss to want to start a life with Jack, but can you blame him?! He was fearful remember that others would find out. They both loved each other no matter what, but Ennis withdrawed himself too much fron Jack. I was just hopjng at some point, Ennis would say "YES I want to move into the cabin with you in Texas" etc. Ennis messed it up for himself; then again, that is the character of Ennis, he not only withdrawed himself from Jack, but also his family, his wife was being ignored, kids ignored!. The guy either liked living alone or something, but his one true love is Jack. The ending was just so sad, but I feel it was fulfilled as far as I can go. Ya'll are making me think about the movie again, YIKES...it just felt heart-breaking to be real. Also, notice till the end that he was about to not show up to his daughter's wedding, I feel he KNEW he made a mistake with Jack, also Carolina_grown brought a thing up about the girl getting married at 19, same time Ennis and Jack met each other; ANYWAYS, it was clear that after Ennis had known he made a mistake with not getting together with jack and starting a life with him, he didn't want to make the same mistake in not seeing his daughter get married. Life learned lesson for Ennis.
  by two_bloody_shirts     (Sun Feb 12 2006 06:54:48 )   
I would like to say thank you to everyone who wrote down thoughtful replies to this question. I had been disturbed by this on my viewings. Both 'NewHorizons37' and 'iluvmovies2000' clarified in my mind the reason behind Jack's relationship with Randall. It was more of a fling versus a real emotional relationship. As in the song, "You can't always get what you want" there is also a phrase, "If you try sometimes you just might find you get what you need." In this case, that's exactly what happened to Jack. He didn't get what he wanted (Ennis) but did get what he needed in Randall.

Randall is just a poor fascimile of Ennis in Jack's mind. Remember how awkward the conversation was on the bench? I thought that was played very well. Randall brings up whiskey and fishing to Jack and it's almost a revelation. Someone is actually proposing the very thing Jack has wanted for years without him asking for it. How could he possibly resist, even though his heart seemed to be breaking?

-----
 Love. You have a problem with it?
  by davidinhartford     (Sun Feb 12 2006 07:52:14 )   
Interesting points. True, this has been tossed around alot on the board. But many posts are so far at thebottom they'd be hard to find.

Indeed, Jack and Randall could have been messing around together for up to five years from when they met at the dinner/dance.

Ennis does love Jack. But his entire life he lives in fear of his own homophobia. That is what he fights everyday. By 1983, the girls are grown up, no more child support to pay. But Ennis just can't bring himself to "ranch up" with Jack and be like those two old ranchers that he remembers as a child.

Jack has indeed had a much different life than Ennis. He has maintained a marriage despite his greater need for sex and male companionship than Ennis. It is ironic that Ennis, who never thinks of other guys than Jack, looses his marriage first. Love is strong. And despite Randalls eagerness to be with Jack, that Ennis is always the only one Jack wants. "I wish I could quit you" tells us that.

Lets go back to 1967. Ennis tells Jack,"if you can't fix it (the situation) you have to stand it". So when Ennis tells Jack in 1983 that he "can't stand it anymore" what does THAT imply? That he finally accepts that Jack is his life partner? He has left Cassie the waitress at that point. But the reality of his financial situation now has him in a trap. Before it was his marriage and the girls. Now he can't drop everything to be with Jack because he needs that job. Ennis is crumbling. Literally. I'm sure the news of the long summer apart until November was tearing Ennis up. Look how he was biting his nails telling Jack. He is nervous.

Jack on the other hand has obviously been thinking ahead. He baits Ennis with questions. Randall may not be his soulmate, but an acceptable substitute.

Novembers meeting would have been interesting had Ann Proulx had let Jack live to that point. But to make the story tragic, Jack has to die. This leaves everything unresolved. Poor Ennis. I think he may have had said something to Jack in November about thier future. Unfortunately it may have been too late for that also. It sure sounds like Jack may have started the Texas exit with Randall and that is what got him killed. So even if Jack met Ennis in November, perhaps Jack would have told Ennis that he has moved up to Lightning Flat with Randall and this was goodbye. And if Ennis hadn't professed his love and commitment to Jack first, the news of Randall would have crushed Ennis. I'm sure he would have NOT told Jack that he was now ready, and just gone home to his isolation instead of fighting to keep Jack. But if Ennis DIDtell Jack that he was now ready, How would Jack react if he had already moved Randall in?
  by RobertPlant     (Sun Feb 12 2006 09:28:40 )   
I think that when Jack speaks about Randall to his parents he is
yet under the negative influence of his last encounter with Ennis and has to give vent to his bitterness for the lost month.
Nothing has been concretely arranged, nothing was going to be real.
Jack used this like a conforting mantra..many people speak about changes in their future: I'll do this ...my life will change and so on..but nothing never happens.

I'm packing my bags for the Misty Mountains
over the hills where the spirits fly
  by carjones51     (Sun Feb 12 2006 10:39:28 )   
>>>I think that when Jack speaks about Randall to his parents he is
yet under the negative influence of his last encounter with Ennis and has to give vent to his bitterness for the lost month.
Nothing has been concretely arranged, nothing was going to be real.<<<

I agree, Robert. When Jack told his parents of his "plans" w/Randall, I believe he was speaking from the frustration he felt about the situation w/Ennis. Jack loved Ennis, and seemed to be waiting for Ennis to say, "We can be together now." That last date just made it clear, to Jack, that Ennis was NEVER going to say this. They would never be together as Jack wanted. Jack was rightfully upset. In 20 years, their relationship hadn't advanced at all.

Jack's father does tell Ennis that nothing ever came of Jack's plan to divorce Lureen and move up w/some rancher. That leads me to believe that Jack didn't ever arrange anything w/Randall. He wanted to end things w/Ennis, but he couldn't. Jack loved Ennis, and only wanted to be w/him. I do think Jack was reaching his "end" w/their arrangement. He may have demanded some changes from Ennis in November.
  by silkncense     (Sun Feb 12 2006 13:18:25 )   
RobertPlant & carjones 51 - I agree with your assessments exactly. The father made it clear that Jack did not follow through with his "plan" once again. I agree that Jack was simply venting & 'wanted' to make a change mentally but could not do it emotionally.
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: Intrusive thoughts about Jack and Randall -- by diabolique-1
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 07:14:44 am »
  by monimm18      (Sun Feb 12 2006 09:48:14 )   
Diabolique,

I totally understand your comments. It was only after my third view that I fully digested their last meeting and John Twist's mention of the "ranch farmer". I knew from the first viewing what they all meant, but somehow I refused to see it, because I bonded so deeply with both of them that I could not see their relationship as flawed as they were as people. After the third viewing I remember waking up in the middle of the night with this stabbing feeling of sorrow as I finally accepted that, after their last time together, Jack had decided to move on. Whether he would have been able to do it or not, is left unanswered.

However, I don't see his thing with Randall as a betrayal. I would have seen it if there were any hopes left for Jack about being with Ennis the way he longed to. The fragmented relationship he had with Ennis could make a saint question his faith. All those moments when Ennis put a damper on his hopes and dreams must have gnawed pretty badly at his idealism when it comes to life and love.

Besides, if you remember the scene where he meets Malone, he is not the one to make any moves. First, at the table, Malone gives him that look, but Jack kinda averts his eyes and instead invites his wife to dance. He could have done that in reply to Lureen's spiteful comment about husbands, and to end a conversation that was going sour, but maybe he also did it to give Malone a hint that he's not available. Then, his awkwardness while sitting on the bench with Randall and trying to make light conversation. He knows what Randall's all about and he's uncomfortable. Randall continues with a strong come-on, Jack doesn't say anything, but the look on his face is soo expressive - you can see he's contemplating the possibility, but there's this sadness in his eyes that made me think he's almost giving in against his will. It's like the beginning of his emotional death.

It's clear he started something with Malone when he mentions the "foreman's wife" to Ennis. There's a moment after he tells Ennis about the supposedly affair with the wife that he pauses and I am thinking "Why is he making up this lie about a woman? He could just not say anything". Then he says "Tell you what..." long pause, "The truth is..." longer pause. I could feel him trying to say what was burdening him and I was almost convinced he would say something about Randall and what his frustrating relationship with Ennis is doing to him and their love. Jack was not a deceiving person, in fact his true to himself nature is what made him so lovable. So, it was only natural for him to want to be open with the one he loved more than anything. But, the fact that he loved Ennis so much made it impossible to hurt him by stating the truth, so he chose to state something else, equally true, that I also saw as a cry for help.

The next day Jack looks resigned, even physically ill. His "I knew once" says he's given up and Ennis knows it too. It's the first time Jack is accusing Ennis of destroying their hopes and lives with his stubborness. The first time Ennis accuses Jack that his relationship with him put his whole life in limbo and turned him into a broken man. It looks like the fight two people have when they feel the end is near. Although we will never know if they could have ever really separated, had they both lived.

It took me a while to accept this idea. I was so in love with their love that I wanted to idealize it and thought that it would be belittling it to acknowledge it was ending. But the point was, they were human, and flawed and weak and had their limits like everyone else. Which is why what they had was so incredibly precious - perfection created by imperfect beings, its value multiplied to infinity by its ephemeral existence.

"There ain't never enough time, never enough..."
  by LauraGigs     (Sun Feb 12 2006 10:21:55 )   
"...its value multiplied to infinity by its ephemeral existence."

Damn.

What a great thread, everybody!
  by stardog70     (Mon Feb 13 2006 13:11:20 )   
Amen! I'm brand new to this board, in fact to the whole IMDB thing and I gotta say I'm just amazed at the thought-provoking energy, and the love energy, that is going into these discussions. I'm an old, hetero women who fell in love with Ennis and Jack and Brokeback Mountain and to hear their "lives" being discussed in such detail they are reborn in my consciousness as the real people I've been drawn to visit over and over in the theatre. This whole BBM thing is moving me profoundly.
  by edelwais     (Mon Feb 13 2006 13:24:12 )   
saving in archives
  by starboardlight     (Sun Feb 12 2006 10:48:39 )   
perfection created by imperfect beings

that's beautiful.

like you i didn't want to acknowledge Jack's relationship with Randall. I rationalized it as Jack was just talking out this frustration. He does this a lot and the people around him knows it. I wanted to cling to the idea that he mention Randall to his mom and dad because he was just talking out his option because of his frustration with Ennis. but I came to the same conclusion as you. He had to move on for the same of his own sanity. We all struggle to medicate and relieve our own pain when it become desperate. Jack was at that point. I came to accept that it could be either way, and it wouldn't taint the love he had with Ennis.
  by monimm18      (Sun Feb 12 2006 11:07:07 )   
Starboardlight, thank you.

I came to accept that it could be either way, and it wouldn't taint the love he had with Ennis.

Indeed. Nothing Jack or Ennis did from there on could have undone what they had for each other.

by ikuturso     (Sun Feb 12 2006 10:39:37 )   
The very thing I admire in the film (and story) is how it goes so much further than the usual "tragic love story" by very consciously substituting the melodrama for realism. This is not idealized eternal love -regardless how badly we'd hunger to see it that way- but complex human emotions.

In my opinion, the revealing of Jack's other (sexual) relationship(s), is essential for the credibility of the character. That's also where one may see the political aspects: Ennis is forever (in the original story at least) locked in his own prison by conforming to the internalized social rules. Jack, however, is able to survive emotionally by being true to his being and defying the outside values. Ironically, it's precisely this ability to survive that gets him killed. Shut up and suffer or speak up and die.
  by terryhall2     (Sun Feb 12 2006 10:55:47 )   
Having been in a similar relationship (his Ennis to my Jack) I can completely understand what was happening with Jack. I reckon he was understanding that although his one real love is Ennis, he cannot go on being unhappy and uncommitted for the rest of his life. The thought that there was another man interested in him (let's face it , no-one in his town was going to open themselves up like that which is why Jack kept going to Mexico) meant that he could possible see a different future. I said to myselfd' well, if he doesn't want me, maybe there is meant to be someone else' (We were also wary of saying that we might have met someone else, in case the liaisons came to nothing) ; I think Jack was getting to this point of resigned frustration. In their final confrontation, I think Jack let it all out as a last ditch attempt to get through to Ennis. Realising nothing had changed or been resolved, we see the hurt, despair and acceptance in his resigned eyes at the end of that confrontation and that's when he decided perhaps to go with the ranch neighbour's offer (maybe) But as alwasy for Jack, it went nowhere because of his death or possibly because he was unable to quit Ennis.
  by terryhall2     (Sun Feb 12 2006 11:07:56 )   
Another thought...Jack actually says, as if apologising or trying to make Ennis understand...I'm not like you...I can't make it on a couple of high altitude beep once or twice a year... here he is explaining to Ennis why he goes to Mexico and indeed, subconsciously, why he might have to move on with Randall.
  by gduch2001     (Thu Feb 23 2006 09:17:09 )   
then why oh why doesn't he talk it otu with Ennis, say, "I can't live like this any longer, I want someone in my day to day life and if you won't live with me or at least spend more time with me, Im going to break off with you and move on.?

[Post deleted]   
  by patsnnott     (Wed Mar 29 2006 09:47:13 )   
I think Jack gets Ennis's plea when Ennis says, "Then why don't you, why don't you let me be?". Ennis is also begging for the pain to stop, and because of his personality, it is not that difficult. He isn't the emotional type like Jack.

"Ole Brokeback got us good!" - Jack Twist
John was just trying to hurt Ennis   
  by LauraGigs     (Sun Feb 12 2006 11:18:16 )   
UPDATED Wed Mar 15 2006 09:05:41
Yes, I think that idea (Jack and Randall winding up in a committed relationship similar to the one Jack wanted with Ennis) is taking that scenario WAY further than it could have gone. All we see Randall doing is proposing a few weekend "fishing trips"/flings -- ostensibly to go on while they each remain married.

To me that scene just served as a contrast: the proposal of sexual encounters minus the love that had developed in such a pure way with Ennis. You can see it in Jack: the sickened, yet resigned look in his face. Also, I can't see Randall having anything to do with the tire iron, let alone putting others up to it.

John Twist obviously knows what Ennis meant to Jack and is mentioning Randall in an attempt to hurt Ennis. (Twist the knife, as it were.) Heck, it could be that Jack was really bringing Randall up to fix the ranch, nothing more. Randall was successfull enough -- the two could have fixed the ranch, in another attempt of Jack's to better his father and finally win his approval.
  by lucise     (Sun Feb 12 2006 11:55:27 )   
I agree strongly with most of the points made already.

Jack loved Ennis, and if they got a chance to have a life together, I am positive that Jack wouldnt need those trips to Mexico or even Randall. He was in love with Ennis, but he had physical needs that Ennis didnt meet ("I'm not like you, I cant get by on a coupla high-altitude *beep* once or twice a year"). I am convinced that he and Randall used each other to satisfy their sexual needs. When J & E had that fight by the lake, Jack still doesnt know how to quit Ennis. He is angry, frustrated, helpless - but still wants Ennis. After Ennis has his break down and Jack is trying to comfort him, I felt that nothing had changed as he told Ennis : "its alright, its alright, damn u Ennis". I think he couldnt leave Ennis, and vice versa.

I also hold out hope that if Jack had lived, he would've met up with Ennis in November. But more importantly, I think when Ennis broke down he realised how much he was hurting jack and how much he was hurting too. I think that he might have had a different tune in November. I think he was starting to accept that he was gay and that it was Jack he wanted. Afterall, he officially finished things with Cassie - he wasnt willing to continue with that sham of a relationship. I saw that as a step in the right direction - towards accepting his feelings for Jack and hopefully making a decision to do something about it.

I can see why Jack would go back to Randall after their confrontation. But i feel that if Ennis had told jack in NOV that he was willing to commit, i have no doubt that Jack would've left Randall in a flash.

peace!!

'If you sleep through life, you wake up dead.'
  by Rontrigger     (Sun Feb 12 2006 12:32:33 )   
UPDATED Mon Feb 13 2006 01:04:11
This is an extremely long post, and I've been giving it a lot of thought, so please bear with me.

Looking over this thread, I've been thinking that the "lake scene" is about as complicated as any in the film. (Well, no, the "phone call scene" is MORE complicated--if only because it led to the "Accident/Murder War"--but I think we can still discuss this one in a friendly way.)

Has anyone else wondered how it's possible that Jack and Ennis could have been carrying on their side relationships with Cassie and Randall for five years before the subject came up? After all, Jack and Ennis met probably up to three times a year (May, August and November seem to have been a fairly regular schedule) and for a week or so each time.

On top of this, we know that Ennis's relationship with Cassie took place, but we have no real proof of Jack and Randall in a relationship. What happened after they met is pure conjecture. Did they meet regularly to an extent that no one would describe it as other than Jack cheating on Ennis? Did they have a casual relationship where they actually went fishing and sex was just part of the fun? And if Jack had any kind of sexual relationship with Randall, would he have told his neighbor that there was a special friend in his life who would always be #1 in his heart?

Even more complications: When Ennis tells Jack about Cassie, is Jack making up the story about the ranch foreman's wife just to one-up Ennis or is he telling the truth in that story with one crucial detail changed? "Truth" is a loaded word at this point: right after that, Jack says "The truth is--sometimes I miss you so much..." Does that imply that all he just said before that was a lie?

Does anyone think that when Jack arrived at the lake, he was already having all the doubts that we're sure he had when he left? It looks like just any one of their numerous meetings at first. Nothing earth-shattering seems to have happened before we see the argument.

Why was Jack so upset at having to miss August and why was Ennis so terrified of telling him about it? Had they missed "fishing trips" in the past? There are indications of this (Ennis telling Alma after Thanksgiving dinner that he doesn't "fish" with Jack often; Jack's comment during this last argument that Ennis "used to come away easy; now it's like seeing the Pope"). It could have been that they'd argued about this before and Jack had blown up in a way that actually scared Ennis.

I think it could even have been something that would have been interesting to see mentioned on screen: August 1983 would have been exactly 20 years since they left Brokeback. I'm sure Ennis wasn't much into anniversaries but he might have realized that this one was important, and I'm sure Jack was well aware of its significance.

And speaking of Brokeback: were they within sight of it at the lake? When Jack says "All we've got is Brokeback Mountain!", he seems to be gesturing toward a point in the distance. We know they never actually went back there; Ms. Proulx says so and it was a grazing area with no likely recreational spots. But there were likely to be areas nearby that would be suitable for get-togethers and fond memories.

Back on track: It looks to me like Jack is comforting Ennis just as always when Ennis breaks down with "I can't stand this any more, Jack." (WHAT couldn't he stand any more? More below.) Segue into the flashback, then we see Jack watching Ennis drive away.

Strictly speaking, there's something missing here. We know in the story that Ennis got back on his feet and that they "torqued things almost to where they had been". And it seems clear from the story that Jack had had that flashback many times. So there had to have been something more said before Ennis drove off--the last words they ever said to each other, and which we'll never know <sob>. It doesn't sound like things had changed forever at that point.

Then, we presume, Jack went to Lightning Flat as he said he would be doing. That's a long drive from the other side of Wyoming (in fact, I think it's possible that when Ennis drove there, it was the farthest he'd ever been from Riverton in his life). Maybe Jack was thinking about giving up on Ennis during that drive; he'd have had a long time to think on the road.

Now imagine Jack's conversation with his father, which the old prune later recounted to a grieving Ennis. Jack had been telling his father for YEARS that he was going to bring Ennis there, build a cabin, and lick the ranch into shape (something Jack obviously never told the commitment-phobic Ennis). If Jack and Randall really were in some kind of a relationship, and Jack was giving up on Ennis, then it would be plausible that Jack would tell his father that his old plan was still on but with a new partner.

BUT--is there any reason to believe that this would have happened, any more than it (never) did with Ennis? If Jack had come up with this on the way to Lightning Flat, then Randall was just as much in the dark as Ennis was on Jack's idea for the old homestead. And I can't be totally sure from that one scene, but I have difficulty seeing Randall in such a poor, isolated environment. Plus, the vision that Jack had of a life on the ranch with Ennis just doesn't seem to be one that could be easily transferred to another person. Whatever the reason Jack told his father that story, I don't think it proves that Jack was moving on.

As for Ennis, he apparently broke up with Cassie after the last meeting with Jack. Why did he break up with her? She does seem the type one would get tired of after a while--certainly after five years. But is it possible that Ennis realized he was just stringing her along--that no woman would ever measure up to Jack? Did it start to sink in at the lake that he could very well lose Jack? And (as I asked earlier) what was it he said he couldn't "stand" any more when Jack was holding him? The relationship with Jack itself? Not being with Jack? His subsequent actions suggest the latter.

And then Ennis sent Jack a postcard. Apparently he'd done this only once before--to tell Jack about the divorce. (Fair warning--I've long been considering a thread on this topic.) He seemed to be taking some initiative. And since I can't picture Jack breaking up with Ennis any other way but face-to-face (I still don't want to believe that they could have ended the relationship voluntarily), I can't help feeling that Jack would have been there at that November meeting, and that that meeting would have been the most important one in their lives.

Whew! Feedback please (including any suggestions on what to do with a possible oversupply of hot air).

"You can't have Ennis without Jack."--Annie Proulx
  by loubyloo3     (Sun Feb 12 2006 12:53:30 )   
UPDATED Sun Feb 12 2006 12:55:43
I don't think Jack & Randall ever got together. I think it was just one of Jack's plans. Maybe if after the meeting in November it was still apparent Ennis was never going to committ Jack may have followed his plans through. But I don't think Jack ever stopped loving Ennis. I like to think that although Jack had lost most of his youthfulness & hope, that there was still a little part of him that hoped him & Ennis could be together one day because his love for Ennis was stronger than any other.
I do think Jack would have definitely met with Ennis in November; I can't imagine him ever missing the chance to meet with Ennis. If he had lived & even if he & Randall had got together I think he would have still met with Ennis.

And speaking of Brokeback: were they within sight of it at the lake? When Jack says "All we've got is Brokeback Mountain!", he seems to be gesturing toward a point in the distance. We know they never actually went back there; Ms. Proulx says so and it was a grazing area with no likely recreational spots. But there were likely to be areas nearby that would be suitable for get-togethers and fond memories.

when they met up for their 'fishing trips' I thought they met at Brokeback?!
  by NewHorizons37     (Sun Feb 12 2006 13:02:40 )   
UPDATED Sun Feb 12 2006 13:04:36
In the story they never go back to Brokeback, but in the movie they keep going back there.

To rontrigger's question about were they within site of Brokeback at the lake -- I thought so. In the lake scene when Jack says "All we've got is Brokeback Mountain" he is gesturing at the mountain in the background, as you note. Even before he did that, I had commented to myself it was the one time that I can think of, where we see the mountain the way it is shown in the postcard at the end of the movie. As if the postcard photo was taken from the spot they are standing.

And rontrigger, you had a great post. Just can't reply now in a way that could do it justice (if I ever could.)
  by jezabel76     (Sun Feb 12 2006 13:23:09 )   
Rontrigger,
thank you so much for your profound posting!!!
I agree 100% ;-)

before I read your post I felt compelled to write that I think Jack wasnt talking about the farmers wife when he made that story up. He was talking about the farmer himself...

I am glad that I am not the only person to draw this conclusion.
Actually, I felt physical pain, when I heard Jacks father telling Ennis about Randall moving to the farm with Jack.

But then again, there is so much truth to that song "If you can´t be with the one you love love the one you´re with".
I believe he still loved Ennis, but as he obviously cant make it on a couple of high altitude beeps he tried to satisfy his needs in another way.

I think Jack never stopped to love Ennis...
But he was just trying so hard to find at least some happiness......somehow.

Sometimes people do strange things... And I am one of them ;-) Believe me...

I once did some pretty strange things to get over a love that was never meant to be...

Maybe thats why this film is haunting me so badly I can hardly stop thinking about it.

Love Jez

by starboardlight     (Sun Feb 12 2006 13:28:21 )   
yeah, Ron, damn long post, but deservedly so for such a complex scene. I do agree with you that perhaps, they'd missed meeting up before. The clues you pointed out seems to suggest it. I think this is not an argument that came out of nowhere.

my impression of jack telling his parents about Ennis and Randall is that he more or less talks to his mother, while John Twist sitting at the table was just listening in. I don't see Jack actually talking to his dad about that. Of if he did, it'd be a peripheral mentioning. Like his mom and dad complaining about this and that needing work and Jack saying "well I can bring my buddy Ennis (or Randall) up and we can help you whip this place into shape." maybe?

Ennis breaking up with Cassie definitely makes me think that he was on his way to accepting himself. He at least realize that he couldn't make a woman happy, and they couldn't make him happy. Which is so sad because for the first time, he's starting to grow. Given time, he might actually be able to see Jack's vision of a life together?

You're point about November being the most important meeting just breaks my heart. I wish they could have had that.
  by monimm18      (Sun Feb 12 2006 14:24:56 )   
rontrigger

GREAT POST! I almost held my breath reading it. You made so many great points.

I also asked myself the same question about Cassie. I thought Ennis broke up with her beacuse he realized it was getting too serious and he didn't want to repeat the mistake he made with Alma; but I never considered how long they've been together. Your statement about Ennis beginning to fear losing Jack was swimming in my head, unclarified and ignored, but you just nailed it. You think Jack's rage at the last meeting was the beginning of what could have been a break-up, but, maybe Ennis realized that too, and was willing to make some changes, hoping he could figure things out with Jake at the November meeting?

The "I can't stand this anyomore" thing. Could it mean that Ennis was at the end of his rope having to meet Jack like that, even though it was his decisions that led to that? That after hearing Jack's "I did once" and his admission to going to Mexico he had a glimpse of what's going on in Jack's heart and mind and he panicked, realizing this situation is more complicated than he could bear, and crumbled?

I agree that if Jack decided to break up with Ennis, he would have done it face to face. Like I said, he was not deceptive, nor a coward. But, maybe he needed the extra impulse of a new relationship to muster the strength to put Ennis and himself through the anguish of an open break-up and keep steadfast?

I'd say more, but I am sure my reply is not the only one you're reading...

Maybe you shoud start thread of your own on this issue, hm?

by adamx013     (Sun Feb 12 2006 14:46:02 )   
Very interesting discussion.

I saw that people were wondering about past threads on this topic. The following is a good one:

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0388795/board/thread/35998998?d=35998998#35998998
  by mlewisusc     (Sun Feb 12 2006 23:42:37 )   
A post so I can find this later.

". . . the single moment of artless, charmed happiness. . ."
  by Rontrigger     (Mon Feb 13 2006 01:11:45 )   
Thank you so much, folks! Looks like this might be a bumper.

by chris.j.warren     (Mon Feb 13 2006 03:44:53 )   
Hey Rontrigger, a beautiful and eloquent post! I also have a problem accepting the argument that Jack was in a serious (or otherwise) relationship with Randall and was planning on leaving Ennis, at least based on the information we have.

One of the impressions I get from the John Twist scene was that Jack was prone to declarations about who he was going to bring home, build a cabin, etc. Clearly this is something he'd previously stated about Ennis (without Ennis knowing) so it's not a huge leap to assume that it was the same with Randall (also without his knowledge).

So, imagine for a moment that there wasn't a relationship with Randall at all, and what we see in the bench-scene is actually Jack, and the audience, getting the wrong idea. Consider that Randall is just trying to make a friend, being new to town and all, and Jack's the first/only person that Randall has actually talked to (c.f. his wife). I guess where is this is all heading is that the next thing we know, Jack has been killed. So, when we consider the Jack/Randall relationship thing, it was either not much of a secret (they were seen), or there wasn't a relationship at all and Randall was somehow involved (or he tells the guys who follow and kill him). So far I’ve been on the no-relationship side of things, but the many excellent posts I've read here have ensured that I remain open minded about these things.

So back to the OP, I prefer to think that the love (and the trysts) between Ennis and Jack would have gone on forever, although regrettably without resolution. The whole Randall thing was a desperate but ultimately futile attempt to "quit" Ennis. But the irony is that it is only Jack's death that finally jolts Ennis out of his indecisiveness, where he is able to seek out Jack’s parents and to admit (at least to himself) what he once had and lost. And it is in this realization that I’d like to think that the “Jack, I swear...” line is concluded by “…it would’ve been different if you’d lived”. <sniff>
  by RobertPlant     (Mon Feb 13 2006 04:20:07 )   
I have already said my opinion about the principal topic..more or less the same of your one
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388795/board/thread/36040375?d=36052685#36052685

but as for the nature of the relationship between Randall and Jack, for me , there's no doubt:
1- the proposal of Randall is really ambiguous and made in ambiguous tone. I don't think is looking only for a friend. Jack's reaction (or no-reaction) confirms my believe.
2- Jack says to Ennis he has an affair with Randall wife..do you think it's true? I don't...I don't think he invents this story from nothing, just to talk, but I think he's saying a half truth..even because just after this he says the well-known phrase "the truth is...."(sometimes I miss you so much .." and we all start crying.) The first time I saw the film I was afraid he was going to say "the truth is..it's not the wife, but the husband".

by chris.j.warren     (Mon Feb 13 2006 04:46:05 )   
Sorry if I've repeated your previous posts (didn't catch your meaning and all), but why does Jack's lack of a reaction confirm your belief that Randall wanted to be more than friends? I just took it for a "is he asking me what I think he's asking" look. Anyway, how are supposed to conclude by this that Randall was making a proposal. Don't get me wrong, I think he was or at least we are being asked to think he was, but I'm wondering if there is more to your lack of doubt? And did you therefore have an alternative to my theory about how Jack was "found out"? Or is that too much conjecture?

Btw, it's quite late down here in the land of Oz, I'll catch any replies in the morning...
  by RobertPlant     (Mon Feb 13 2006 06:41:11 )   
UPDATED Mon Feb 13 2006 10:25:25
All the various elements together give me the impression (just the impression, nothing it's sure, of course) that the two are lovers.
I saw a "what do I've to do now?" look in Jack eyes, a deep dilemma...to accept or not to accept. Consider even the attitude of Randall..his low voice, the "you know (what I mean)?" at the end
and that allusion to fishing, of course this last is a clue given by Ang Lee.
After this scene, when Jack speaks about the wife of his neighbor, for me there's no more doubt.
But, you know, at last it's not really so important for me
(that their affair is real or not), because I don't think Randall was important for Jack. Like you, I think he was never going to quit Ennis and he was never going to divorce from Lureen and start a new life at Lighting Flat. Poor Jack.

And did you therefore have an alternative to my theory about how Jack was "found out"?

Do you mean how did someone find out he was gay (often I've problem with english )?
Well, assuming the theory of murder (but I'm for the third option ...another thread) I think someone could have seen them ..moreover in their last encounter there is that premonitory line about the possibility to be shot.

Goodnight ..I live on the other side of the planet 

by carjones51     (Mon Feb 13 2006 05:30:09 )   
Yeah, when I saw the film, I also thought he was about to say, "Truth is. . . . . I'm actually seeing the rancher, not his wife." I was literally waiting for the "excitement" that would ensue. LOL :-)
  by cookieyami     (Sun Feb 12 2006 13:05:55 )   
UPDATED Sun Feb 12 2006 13:12:33
Thank you diabolique-1 for bringing this up. That's a big question in my mind.

There is an interesting paragrah may shed light on how Jake think: "Later, that dozy embrace solidified in his memory as the single moment of artless, charmed happiness in their separate and difficult lives. Nothing marred it, even the knowledge that Ennis would not then embrace him face to face because he did not want to see nor feel that it was Jack he held. And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that. Let be, let be."

IMO, Jake had sufferred and struggled for this relationship for a long time (Remember that His wife menitoned that he drank a lot? He must be very desparate when he learned that Ennise postpone their August trip....and may be the getting bigger gap between him and Ennise). He did whatever he could to keep this relationship going on. So may be at that point, Jake decide to give up the realtionship? He knew that there was no hope for their relationship, and there is no way to have Ennise conquer his fear.

The other possibility is as lucise mentioned, Jake couldn't leave Ennise, so..he still has to stand the situation until he know how to quit Ennise?

However, I am not so sure that Jake is ready for another relationship, at least I don't get the impression from the novel (I just don't want to think that Jake will leave Ennise :P).

The beauty of this movie is realism. There are so much space to interpret...to imaging. We never know the truth of how Jake die and whether he decide to move on (or even had relationship with Randle). I guess that is the reason that I am so addict to this movie.

by Belindah     (Mon Feb 13 2006 03:51:45 )   
Let me know when people quit imputing to the movie what's written in the short story. Then we can have a discussion of the movie. The movie is not the story. They are very different.
  by Mart-13     (Thu Mar 30 2006 04:48:45 )   
Jack and Ennis. Randall.
For correct names of characters, look in here before you make posts: http://akas.imdb.com/title/tt0388795
Purpose of New Characters   
  by Lurcher-2     (Mon Feb 13 2006 09:01:17 )   
What reason is there for introducing the characters of Randall and his wife but to provide a sexual alternative for Jack, with possible consequences? We already know the Twists' marriage is a bit of a shambles, so the scene can't be there just to show how Lureen's appearance has changed

Randall's a little worldlier than Jack, and probably more experienced at sizing up men he meets and less afraid to trust his gaydar. He watches Jack interacting with both wives, is aware that Jack is watching him too, and wastes no time when they're alone in telling Jack he has access to a getaway location - even though they've just met that evening.

And, as others have pointed out, the mention of the "rancher's wife" pretty clearly points to LaShawn - and then to Randall.

Nothing is superfluous in this film; whatever Ossanna and McMurtry added to Proulx's story serves a purpose.
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: Intrusive thoughts about Jack and Randall -- by diabolique-1
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 07:15:48 am »
Re: Purpose of New Characters   
  by starboardlight     (Mon Feb 13 2006 09:36:33 )   
yep, there was never a doubt in my mind that Jack and Randall got together for some whiskey and fishing. I don't think it's very clear though that he had actually made plans to ranch up with Randall. Just like he had talked about Ennis with his mom and dad even though he and Ennis hadn't talked about doing that, I think he hadn't really brought it up with Randall either.
  by Lurcher-2     (Mon Feb 13 2006 09:49:35 )   
"I don't think it's very clear though that he had actually made plans to ranch up with Randall."

Yeah, I do agree they got together - well, I do if "whiskey and fishing" is a euphemism! And it would indeed be in character for Jack to count his chickens way too early. Doesn't seem likely that Randall would have the slightest interest in such an arrangement.
  by chris.j.warren     (Mon Feb 13 2006 12:26:00 )   
I fear that your right of course, but I doubt that I'll ever be satisfied. In my own pathetic little grasping for the smallest straw sort of way, a part of me wants to shout "NO NO, THEY WEREN'T REALLY TOGETHER, IT'S JUST A BIG MISTAKE, HE ONLY LOVES ME (ehem) ENNIS"! ;-)
  by carjones51     (Mon Feb 13 2006 12:49:02 )   
>>>Just like he had talked about Ennis with his mom and dad even though he and Ennis hadn't talked about doing that, I think he hadn't really brought it up with Randall either.<<<

I agree, Starboardlight. I think when Jack spoke of divorcing Lureen and moving up w/Randall, he was speaking from the frustration he felt re: Ennis. He had just learned that Ennis was NEVER going to move in w/him, and that they were NEVER going to have a real relationship. Jack was rightfully upset and saddened. I think Jack is somewhat impulsive, and he said what was on his mind "at the time." By the time he left Lightning Flat, I'm not sure he was as determined to divorce Lureen and move in w/Randall. I don't think he ever made any plans w/Randall, as evidenced by his never doing it. His father mentions that Jack never brought Randall like he said he would. He speaks as if some time passed (couple of months or so) between Jack saying he was bringing up Randall and the next time Jack visited his parents. In any event, I don't believe any plans were made w/Randall.
  by wtbgirl     (Mon Feb 13 2006 12:59:59 )   
I agree, the "Randall plan" never got past Jack bitterly making those comments to his father just after leaving Ennis for the last time.

Do I believe that Jack was having an affair with Randall? Yes.

Do I believe he loved Randall? No way - Randall was an Ennis substitute just to make Jack's loneliness and frustration a little more bearable.

Would Jack have ever gotten to the point where he would try and make a life with Randall and not see Ennis anymore? Well, I guess that we will never know, we don't know the full context of the Jack-Randall affair, but either way, had he lived, Jack would have still loved Ennis for the rest of his life. Ennis was the "one" - nothing and no one would change that. You don't stick around for 20 years taking table scraps of love from someone if there was a way to kill that love. Jack would have NEVER found a way to truly "quit" Ennis.

by carjones51     (Mon Feb 13 2006 13:20:47 )   
Amy, I agree that Randall was only a substitute. He was just someone Jack could hook up with --- quickly and easily --- from time to time. What Jack really wanted was a relationship w/Ennis. If Ennis would have agreed to be w/Jack on a permanent, full-time basis, I know Jack would have ended whatever he had going w/Randall.

I also agree that even if Jack decided to start a life w/Randall, he still would have loved Ennis. Jack would have been settling b/c he couldn't get what he really wanted, which was Ennis.
[Post deleted]   
UPDATED Sun Mar 26 2006 05:38:17
  by OBsessedwithorli1     (Thu Mar 16 2006 19:37:44 )   
I don't think Jack really planned to bring Randall to his Dad's ranch at all. I mean, somehow I don't think Randall would have left his wife for Jack. I also don't think Jack was ready to quit Ennis, I really don't. I'll go so far to say that Jack and Randall's "relationship" if there really was a relationship, was no more meaningful than those that Jack had with the Mexican hustlers.
  by LOTUS73     (Wed Mar 22 2006 23:36:50 )   
We always have to consider the possibility that the story about Jack and
Randall was just that---a story that John T concoted to hurt Ennis because
he had figured out the truth of his(Ennis') and Jack's relationship.I certainly
wouldn't put it past him.The old goat didn't exactly strike me as the most
sympathetic dude on the planet.Keep in mind that whole business about the ashes
after all.

by tillerman-1     (Mon Mar 27 2006 09:30:28 )   
I agree with LOTUS73 I dont believe Jack had a relationship with Randall I think it was something his dad said to hurt Ennis. In the short story that is the only time the rancher is mentioned and even then it sounded more like Jack was going to bring someone to help with the ranch not live with ,( Although both refer to him leaving his wife which maybe he felt it was time to do.)
Why does everyone assume Randall was gay maybe Jack really was having an affair with the wife.
  by catglith     (Thu Apr 27 2006 11:44:20 )   
"The old goat didn't exactly strike me as the most sympathetic dude on the planet."

LMAO!!
[Post deleted]   
UPDATED Wed Mar 29 2006 19:42:18
  by esmereldet     (Mon Feb 13 2006 12:33:24 )   

I think that if Jack truly wanted to quit Ennis and live with Randall he would have sayd so. He would have told Ennis that "I cannot do this with you but I have someone that is willing to take me for what I am." If nothing else than to see how Ennis would react to it. I think Randall was there to distract us in a way, we were to think that randall is a threat to Ennis, and that if Ennis don't find out this he will loose Jack...And off course he does, but in a way that blindsides us, we don't expect it at all.

*Jack Nasty loves ya*
  by sharp7     (Mon Feb 13 2006 13:00:28 )   
I don't think Jack's feelings for Ennis changed one bit during all those years. But he could, unlike Ennis, admit to himself who he really was. When he met Randall he was glad to have found a man who was willing to risk being with him. Jack wanted that from Ennis but knew it wouldn't happen, so he settled for Randall.

He lied about Randall cause the truth would hurt Ennis. It wasn't the same thing with women. They married women and had kids with them. It was different with men. More personal, other feelings involved. Jack was the only man Ennis had been with, he didn't want anyone else. Remember when Jack tells him about the affair with that woman, Ennis doesn't get upset. However, when he finds out about Jack's trip(s) to Mexico, he feels hurt and betrayed. What they had together should stay with them. Ennis wanted no other men involved. I also think he got frustrated over the fact that Jack was seeking something in those other men that Ennis couldn't offer. He wanted to surrender himself so badly, but he was afraid to.
  by grghls     (Mon Feb 13 2006 14:34:50 )   
bump

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
  by Rontrigger     (Tue Feb 14 2006 12:58:49 )   
Bumpety-bump.

by joyce023     (Sun Mar 19 2006 03:17:41 )   
bump
  by pepfox172     (Sun Mar 19 2006 03:45:44 )   
Just have to BUMP this one!

Excellent insights!

~Why can't people accept love in ALL its forms?
  by jshane2002      (Wed Mar 22 2006 21:56:44 )   
bump
  by starboardlight     (Mon Mar 27 2006 11:31:28 )   
bump

by Carol703     (Tue Mar 28 2006 20:47:30 )   
Randall is a problematic character for me. I wish they had never introduced him. I know he had only one scene, but boy, was he dull. I liked Lashawn better than him, with all her jabbering. I can't imagine Jack getting involved with him. I'm not convinced that, when Jack said he had a thing going with a rancher's wife, he was talking about Randall.
  by littlewing1957     (Wed Mar 29 2006 09:16:32 )   
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I don't believe Jack was involved with Randall. There is no real evidence of this. I believe Jack told Ennis about being involved with a Rancer's wife (also a fiction) in response to the comment that Ennis made about putting the blocks to Cassie. I could be wrong, but I don't think Jack was too pleased to hear about Ennis' relationship with Cassie, even though he did ask Ennis why he never remarried.
  by tillerman-1     (Wed Mar 29 2006 16:24:32 )   

LITTLEWING1957
Thats exactly what I think to.
  by fenway42     (Wed Mar 29 2006 18:27:29 )   
Sorry if this was already posted, I didn't read through all the posts!

Seems to me that the one thing Jack, Alma and Cassie have in common is that they all "settled for second best" as none of them could have the man they wanted...Ennis.
  by BannerHill     (Wed Mar 29 2006 18:32:33 )   
Very good point. It is amazing what I missed the first time around.

"Hey Ennis, do you know someone named 'Jack'?"
  by katy1940     (Wed Mar 29 2006 20:36:32 )   
I think J was involved with Randall-“the ranch foreman’s wife”. The way I see it for J it started out as someone to comfort him while waiting for E. But at the end of the lake scene J realized E would never come around. It wasn’t easy for him, but I think J had to give up on E. The lives they were living had become too much for J.

When E goes to see J’s parents at the end, J’s father gives it away when he mentions “then, this Spring he got another one’s goin come up here with him and build a place and help run the ranch. Some ranch neighbor a his from down in Texas.” To me this scene reveals J’s hopes had changed from E to Randell.

I don’t think J every stopped loving E, J just realized they would never be together.

Katy
  by OBsessedwithorli1     (Wed Mar 29 2006 21:15:40 )   
I just don't see it that way, though I admit I could be wrong. I'll admit Jack was getting tired, looked worn out, but his disfuntional life, and the fact that Ennis wouldn't committ, took a toll. I don't think that he gave up on Ennis, though. I'm pretty sure Jack would have met up with Ennis in November, and even would have started the cow and calf operation if Ennis just said the word. Jack may have told his father that he was bringing a rancher to lick the place into shape, but how does this prove that he was having an affair with Randall? Jack may have meant to hire Randall, not have him as a live-in lover. Jack may also have lied to his father, promising to bring someone to help, since Ennis wouldn't. Just my take on things!
  by katy1940     (Wed Mar 29 2006 21:44:02 )   
I’d like to think that Randall was just a temporary moment of weakness for J-could be. The devotion he showed to E over 20 years, its not likely J would just give up. No doubt J would have come running if E said the word.

That’s one of the beautiful things about BBM-it could be taken so many ways. There is no one answer.

Katy
  by OBsessedwithorli1     (Wed Mar 29 2006 22:04:36 )   
You're right of course when you say there is more than one way to interpret the scenes, which is why I love being able to come here and discuss the movie. I really have a need to discuss the movie, and while the people in my life allow me to talk about BBM all I want (I'll always be grateful to them for that) few people have the insight of those of you who post on this Board!
  by silencingseptember     (Thu Mar 30 2006 02:54:07 )   
i dont even know if this thread is interesting anymore... but..

i could see jack finding a lot of similar qualities in randal that he found in ennis.

i dunno. it's late and i cant wait for this dvd.

goodnight
  by kirkmusic     (Thu Mar 30 2006 03:08:30 )   
Going to read this later.
  by Mart-13     (Thu Mar 30 2006 05:28:07 )   
I think the DVD (advertised as out on 04.04. of this year, which is incidentally the birthday of my first sister and the birthday of the son of a long-unseen friend) would hopefully give the moviewatchers some insight into what might have been going on with Randall. First off, I don't know if Randall and Jack actually had a relationship, because Randall might just have been a setup for Jack.

To paraphrase a previous post: First we see Randall proposing something to Jack and pretty much the next thing we learn about Jack when he is not with Ennis is that he's brutally killed.

I think I also remember the way Lureen described to Ennis what happened to Jack. It sounded pretty much like a very elaborate lie out of her mouth, and Lureen's emotion seemed to be that of the betrayed or something...

What if Jack, Alma and Cassie went on to resort to the second-best in their lives, once they realised that Ennis was not to be had so lightly, while Lureen would not resort to the second-best in the case of Jack?

I mean, Lureen married Jack despite her father's visible objections and class differences, which I think does mean that she really loved Jack... Murders of passion came to mind, when very jealous husbands kill their wives, so no-one else in the end could have (could have had) their wives but them.
Jack's death? Definitely not a 'hit'.   
  by LauraGigs     (Thu Mar 30 2006 11:06:19 )   
I've never bought any of the Jack conspiracy theories. As other have pointed out, it's out of the range of the plot, and would change the whole nature of the film into a thriller/whodunit -- obviously not what the filmakers & writers were going for.

I agree that Lureen cared for Jack, although others characterize her as oblivious. In any case, their 20-year marriage -- with all the inherent routine -- would wear the edge off her passion, if you even believe her capable of murder (I don't).

And the brief tire-iron scene (if that's even how Jack died) looks like a roadside bashing, not a "hit".
Re: Jack's death? Definitely not a 'hit'.   
  by Mart-13     (Thu Mar 30 2006 19:56:52 )   
UPDATED Thu Mar 30 2006 20:09:12
I am sure that Lureen wouldn't have been capable of committing that act herself, but our seeing how Jack was bashed, which might have lead to his killing -- while at the same time she was telling quite a detailed lie of what supposedly happened (it may full well be possible that she did care for Jack and then was subsequently told that lie post mortem).

We clearly hear her saying one thing and see completely the other thing happening. Then we also hear that she says that "Jack told her that he wanted to be cremated and his ashes swept over Brokeback Mountain [she then had such an acidic tone when saying "'Cuz Brokeback Mountain was his favorite place!"]", while we never see or hear Jack saying about his wishes as regards to his body to Ennis, because he had a lasting dream of living together with Ennis.

The crux of this is that Lureen says that Jack told her that, while we never know if he did tell her this or not. It's really a game of "she said he said" and we don't have first-account information on whether that was true or not.

We also see how full of life Jack was and how he had not planned to die this prematurely and how he'd had all the plans to lick his parents' ranch into shape and live with someone past Lureen. If he was sixty years old, then yes, then it would be sensible to tell one's partner whether to be cremated or buried, but because Jack's death was by all accounts premature and that he couldn't have foreseen it, then it seems by all means too early to have told her that. Granted, Jack and Lureen had been married for 20 years, which means that in that time, Jack probably could have told Lureen what his wishes would be for his body after his death...

My point is that Lureen is very obviously shown telling a lie and then we see only her saying that Jack wanted to be cremated. Lureen might have known full well the specifics of Jack's death and what lead him to it, she might have even approved of it, once having learned that Jack was having flings on the side. She might have even known who had done it, but to conceal anything that would lead to the perpetrators' identity, she had let Jack's body to be cremated, because this is by far the easiest method to conceal any evidence of murder.
  by OBsessedwithorli1     (Thu Mar 30 2006 20:08:18 )   
Yes, but if Jack didn't tell Lureen he wanted to be cremated, how did she even know about Brokeback Mountain? I don't think Jack would have mentioned it to her (he wanted to keep his affair with Ennis a secret)unless he indeed wanted to be cremated and his ashes thrown there. I believe Jack did make his wishes about the ashes known to Lureen.
  by Mart-13     (Fri Mar 31 2006 07:15:28 )   
I deem it possible that Jack told Lureen about Brokeback Mountain being his favourite place, the rest of the story about his wishing his ashes to be thrown there could have been concocted by Lureen, considering that she wasn't a stupid woman. You did write it yourself that he wanted to keep the relationship secret, so his telling about his ashes might have happened and might have not happened.

Jack being a hopeless romantic, it is possible that he did consider at least what would happen after his death, whenever that would have come in his considerations, although I believe he never wanted to die this early.

Another argument that would support his telling Lureen about it, is that he knew that he lived in a dangerous environment as a man who likes other men, so he either experienced a foreshadowing of sorts (consider that he did tell Ennis around the campfire that he could be shot, even if half-jokingly) or was just far-sighted enough.

Perhaps his story could have been that of wishing to be being buried there. Keep in mind that since Jack purportedly did at least tell Lureen that Brokeback Mountain was his favourite place, then it wasn't hard anymore for her to devise the rest of the story.
  by catglith     (Fri Apr 14 2006 17:44:29 )   
Lureen's father had died sometime after Ennis' divorce. It's possible IMO that when the funeral arrangements were being made Jack may have mentioned (or Lureen may have asked) what he wanted when he died, and told Lureen. It's just one of those weird things, when someone you know dies, you consider what you want with your funeral etc.
  by joyce023     (Sat Apr 8 2006 13:27:27 )   
bump
  by pamjp     (Thu Apr 27 2006 11:55:07 )   
Oh, I felt hugely betrayed for Ennis - some great love Jack had.

Of course, this is only a movie. In real life, people need to do what they need to do to be happy, because you only go round once, and pining for an individual you can't have just is never a good idea. But in a dramatic love story? Very disappointed in Jack.

by andrewscotth     (Thu Apr 27 2006 13:51:00 )   
This is one of the biggest "difficulties" with the film. The whole film is based on the soul-mate idea of Jack and Ennis and we just don't want to believe that wasn't true. We don't want to even start to think that this love could die or these lives have another path.
But Randall was not just nobody (and it annoys me that many people seem to put Randall down as unworthy and unattractive and everything else.) He wasn't - but we were so conditioned to think Ennis was everything that we don't accept Randall. Randall was probably just as loving as Jack and had as much to offer (whether you like the look of him or not). From a gay man's perspective (which is probably not much different really from anyone elses) you can't stay with something that makes you so unhappy (no matter how much you love someone) for ever. You can't slowly be destroyed by all that you are being denied (which is half the point of the film).
Jack's biggest love was Ennis and always would be, but that didn't mean he couldn't fall in love with someone else and have a happier life with him instead. If we could never love anyone else but our first or "true" love there would be a lot more unhappy people in the world. We have to "survive".
Much of the tragedy for me was that Jack was never allowed to experience a happiness that he deserved with another man because of his premature death. The symbolic thing about his death at that particular stage (and the same scenario -whether murder or tire blow-out could have happened at anytime in the previous twenty years)was that he was going to leave Ennis and start a new life but he wasn't allowed to. He couldn't be allowed to. The deus ex machina had to come into play to stop him from moving on. In real life it doesn't usually happen that way, but artistically in this film it was an inevitable "end".
Just my thoughts. There are so many interpretations of the film which is what makes it so brilliant!
  by hsuvera     (Thu Apr 27 2006 16:22:26 )   
I have put following view point on the other thread about the if Jack really quitted on Ennis.

Unwillingly, but I do believe Jack had given up on Ennis as a life time partner as told old Trist: For twenty years Jack told the father Ennis would be brough to set up and the last home visit changed to another man.

Out of love Jack would let Ennis go, but the readers and audience would not take it to read or watch Jack and Ennis's separation. So one had to die,then the love story can be remained and told.

Why is Jack and not Ennis set to die?
If Ennis died, Jack would find substitution as he always did.
If Jack died, Ennis would still have Jack as only lover the rest of his life.

For the satisfaction of reader and audience the tragic love story was so written and pictured, just see the reponse on this board, it works!
[Post deleted]   
  by catglith     (Mon May 1 2006 11:34:10 )   
bump
  by joyce023     (Wed May 10 2006 12:52:01 )   
bump
  by taj_e     (Wed May 10 2006 13:01:32 )   
By now I think we all agree and understood well how both Ennis and Jack loved each other regardless love was 'never' uttered OR if it was 'ever' doubted OR even if we were to consider their 'one-shot' pact was always based on a lie

With that we can safely ignore Randall having any chance at all

And so I bump this for laters...
[Post deleted]   
I'm going to have to 'bump' this thread.   
  by ScissorhandsRaineyluv     (Sun Jun 4 2006 16:01:25 )   
These comments are great.Keep 'em coming.

"Should he tell her? Should he not tell her? He's torn, Georgie. This is drama." Ed Wood
Re: I'm going to have to 'bump' this thread.   
  by kalaevans_30126     (Wed Jun 7 2006 09:27:26 )   
UPDATED Wed Jun 7 2006 09:28:57
The whole thing with Randall just confuses me. If he did have a little thing with Randall (and I think he did) do u think he told Randall, that he only wants him for sex and the love of his life is in Wyoming?
Did he tell Randall the love of his life is in Wyoming?   
  by LauraGigs     (Wed Jun 7 2006 15:05:00 )   
Kalaevans, he probably didn't have to. I mean, Randall is married and has the whole straight-front thing going on. And he propositions Jack within a few hours of meeting him, so it's pretty obvious he's just in it for casual sex too.