Author Topic: Heath Heath Heath  (Read 3819321 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Heath Heath Heath
« Reply #4830 on: April 08, 2008, 04:02:40 pm »
I have debated whether to post the following 2 pieces or not, but anyway, here they are, I got them from dcf:

About Heath's Portrait

I know the portrait of Heath by Vincent Fantauzzo is quite controversial, here's an interview of Vincent by the Art Gallery of New South Wales during which he has talked in depth about Heath and the portrait, here's the link to the interview which I think is worth watching:

http://www.artgallery.nsw.gov.au/events/multimedia/vincent_fantauzzo

An Article by Luke Davies, the author of Candy

Luke Davies has written an article paying tribute to Heath in the March issue of The Monthly, here's the link:

http://www.themonthly.com.au/tm/node/821

What's to debate about these links? They're great!  :)
Thank you very much for posting them here. I encourage you to also post them in the Heath rememberance forum.

I really like Vincent Fantauzzo. I liked everything he said about the painting (and about Heath, obviously). I'm still not the biggest fan of his portrait, or of his style of painting in general, from what I saw on his web page. (I feel almost bad for saying so, since he seemed so anxious about how people judge his work - but I think it's safe to assume he won't read it here).
But Fantauzzo seems to be a really genuine person. I liked that he hesitated to enter the portrait to the Archibald and only did so because he was encouraged by friends and had the ok from Heath' mother. And I liked that he'll give it to her.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #4831 on: April 08, 2008, 09:28:43 pm »
I echo everyone's thanks. Personally, I appreciate this type of commentary-from a real friend rather than this pseudo friends coming out of the woodwork speaking of him as though they know him. They don't know him. More selfishly, it validates my own feeling for and about him. For some reason I think I get him even not knowing him. When I read these loving tributes I just think to myself "see-I knew it". And mostly it allows me to let myself off the hook for how profoundly his leaving has affected me. People have expressed their "worry" about me but there is nothing to worry about. I am very simply sad and missing what he was to me and what he will never be able to be. I miss the space he took up in my life and very few people really get that.

I showed my boss my new tattoo today and he said, shocked, "I never would have expected you to do something like that". But he doesn't know about me and Heath, he just doesn't know.

Heathen

yb

« Reply #4832 on: April 08, 2008, 10:21:43 pm »
I debated whether to post them or not because I know quite a few people do not like the portrait.  But I think watching the interview will help people understand the work process between Heath and Vincent Fantauzzo and the times Heath spent in his hometown during that period.  I think it is both comforting and sad at the same time, to me anyway.

The article by Luke Davies is another gem from someone who really understands and loves Heath.

I didn't post them in the Heath Remebrance section because in some odd way I feel more attached to this thread, it's like a safe haven to a Heathen here.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #4833 on: April 08, 2008, 10:56:49 pm »

I didn't post them in the Heath Remebrance section because in some odd way I feel more attached to this thread, it's like a safe haven to a Heathen here.

That's how I feel too, Betty.  :-*

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #4834 on: April 08, 2008, 10:57:36 pm »
Tu doives entendre je t'aime. :-*

(that tricky subjunctive...)

O, j'entends et je comprends, mon cher! 

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #4835 on: April 09, 2008, 12:55:59 am »

I know the feeling ...
But I also would like to keep the rememberance forum alive (generally spoken, don't mean to urge you to post over there, Betty  :-*).

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #4836 on: April 09, 2008, 01:09:29 am »
Mornin Heathen folks  :)

I've found a rarely seen one from that well-known photoshoot

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #4837 on: April 09, 2008, 03:50:48 am »
Looking at that one, Chrissi, I just had a weird idea for Oscar (Toycoon)'s craft projects - a Heath doll with various hairdos we've seen that you can interchange.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #4838 on: April 09, 2008, 03:51:18 am »
It feels sad to have fun on this thread, ya know?

yb

« Reply #4839 on: April 09, 2008, 09:41:03 am »
This is an interview (video and article) of Verne Troyer recalling working with Heath on Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, and how a lot of people working on the set has tattooed a heart which Heath had scribbled on a note in memory of him.  Here's the article and the link where you may see the video in which he broke down in tears:

Verne Troyer Recalls Working With Heath Ledger On His Final Film: 'Heath Meant A Lot To A Lot Of People'

Troyer even got a tattoo with other 'Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus' cast- and crewmembers in memory of the late actor.

SANTA MONICA, California — When people normally see Verne Troyer, sadness is the farthest thing from their minds. The world's smallest movie star has brought laughter to millions as Mini-Me, the diminutive sidekick to Dr. Evil in the "Austin Powers" films, and reteams with Mike Myers in June for the comedy "The Love Guru."

The drama he most recently finished shooting, however, has grabbed international headlines with its tragic and ultimately inspiring behind-the-scenes story. This week, an emotional Troyer tried to hold back the tears, speaking about his "Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus" co-star and friend Heath Ledger.

"I've just got to say thank you to Heath for letting me be a part of his life for that short period of time," Troyer said, thinking back to the day the world first heard about the Oscar nominee's January 22 death. "It's just tragic.

"What happened was that we had just finished filming in London, and I had a scene with Heath, as did Christopher Plummer, who's also in the film, Lily Cole and Andrew Garfield," the actor recalled. "We had all just worked with him and we all flew back. He flew back to New York, I flew back to L.A., and two days or three days after he was in New York was when it happened. I was still recovering from jet lag back in L.A., and I didn't know about it until my manager called me. She wouldn't tell me on the phone. She literally came over and told me. And I just literally broke down."

At that sensitive memory, Troyer had to pause for a moment and request a tissue. But still, he insisted on finishing up the thought.

"He was such a talented actor and just a good person all around," he added. "I couldn't believe it."

Written and directed by legendary filmmaker Terry Gilliam, Troyer admitted that any attempt at summarizing the fantasy world of "Parnassus" would be futile. Still, he gave it his best shot.

"Christopher Plummer plays Doctor Parnassus, and I play Percy. My real name is Percival St. Antwon Delatrane the third," he grinned. "It's a traveling theater group, and we have an old horse-drawn carriage, and the wagon folds out into a theater with a stage. We travel from town to town. We have a magic mirror that people go into to experience their imaginations, and they have a choice of which direction they want their lives to go. There's one direction where it looks good, but it's actually not good, and then there's [one] that doesn't look good, and that's probably the right path to take."

After Ledger's death, there were concerns that the film could be scrapped and the actor's final scenes lost forever. Then, Troyer remembered, something very special happened.

"We had Johnny Depp, we had Colin Farrell, we had Jude Law come in and do scenes, just to honor Heath," he explained. "[Now], when Heath goes into the mirror, he comes out as another person, and that's where these other actors come in."

As those A-listers helped complete the film, Troyer and many of the other people in the "Parnassus" family devised their own tribute to the "Brokeback Mountain" star. "There was a note that Heath had written his e-mail on and had given it to Holly, who is Terry's daughter and a publicist for the film," he explained. "After his e-mail, he scribbled a heart on it."

Now, that very scribble is inked forever on Troyer's right hand. "A lot of us went and copied that heart and had it tattooed, in remembrance of Heath," he explained, showing off his heartfelt symbol. "We had it copied identical to how he scribbled it. ... [We have it in] various places. I believe Lily got it on the inside of her arm. Holly got it up on the inside of her arm."

As it now stands, "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus" is looking like it will survive to give Ledger's legion of heartbroken fans the opportunity to glimpse the last scenes he ever performed before a camera, likely sometime in 2009. Troyer understands why they're eager to experience one last Ledger memory — and will always be happy that he was able to do the same.

"It's a scene where we've just picked up Heath, and he was knocked-out, and we put him in the trunk of the carriage and he comes out of the carriage not knowing where he's at," Troyer recalls of his favorite memory of the late actor. "Then I come out of my quarters, which is underneath the wagon, in a drawer that pulls out. ... It was this scene where it's just me and him. He was off-camera [for a while]. It was basically just on me, and I got to react off of him. He helped me get through a scene [where I had to say my name]. I stumbled a couple of times trying to get through it.

"Terry, don't get mad at me," he continued, offering his director an apology. "I have footage, personal footage, of that scene that I took on my camera. And that's something I'm going to treasure for a lifetime.

"Heath meant a lot," Troyer added, "to a lot of people."

http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1585063/story.jhtml