Author Topic: A Must Read Review about BBM by a Senior Citizen -- by anml-lvr  (Read 3393 times)

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
A Must Read Review about BBM by a Senior Citizen   
  by anml-lvr     (Fri Mar 10 2006 10:15:48 )   
Ignore this User | Report Abuse   
Hi Everyone,
My friend sent this to me. Her friend found this review and well, it is quite incredible.

Overall Grade: A+
Story: A+
Acting: A+
Direction: A+
Visuals: A+The Older The Eyes............The Finer The Film
by txgrandpa65 (movies profile) Jan 10, 2006
536 of 612 people found this review helpful
My wife and I and our best friends all live in a small town in East Texas. Even though none of us will ever see 65 again we do love to see good movies and we depend on your reviews to help us make our choices. Most of the reviews talked about the visuals and the acting. The one common theme was that you can not leave this movie at the theater it follows you home and that intrigued us.
Last week we drove the two hours to Dallas to see the film. Our first moment of enjoyment was the look on the face of the ticket lady when we asked if the Senior Discount applied to Brokeback. As the movie begins you hear the mournful sound of the train whistle and you sense you are about to go on an amazing journey. And amazing it is. The visuals and the music take you quickly to a place of great beauty, peace, and solitude. The acting is first rate and you swear you actually know Alma, Ennis, Lureen, and Jack just seconds after they appear on the screen. Suffice to say we all four thought the movie was extremely well done and thought provoking.
We would like to give some observations fron the Senior viewpoint. First of all the sexual content of the movie. We were aware of the storyline and somewhat prepared and determined to sit through what ever it was. We all agreed however that we felt more uncomfortable with the sexual acrobatics of Halle Berry in "Monster's Ball" and the straiway scene in "The History of Violence" than the brief tent scenes. And the difference between the first night and the second tells you this is going to be more than drunk sex.
The obvious storyline is about Ennis and Jack but if you can step back and observe and absorb the whole story you will find so many wonderful stories within this story. One real gem is Lureen who proves Texas women don't get older just blonder. Her phone scene with Ennis is just amazing. She is forced to acknowledge that the voice on the other end of the line belongs to the person that owned the piece of her husbands heart that would never be hers. In a slpit second she has to decide to treat him with contempt or kindness. Anne Hathaway within these few minutes on the screen shows how really talented she is.
In our opinion one of the best parts in the entire movie occur when Ennis goes to the ranch of Jacks parents. Mrs. Twist feels an immediate connection with him and tries to mother him with Cherry cake and coffee. She has heard the name Ennis Del Mar often from Jack and in her heart of hearts she knows WHO he is. In order to confirm her thoughts she invites him to go up to Jacks childhood room knowing what Jack had put in the closet twenty years ago. As Ennis comes back down the stairs she sees the contents in his hand and knows there could be only one other person in the world except Jack that would know the importance of it. The look in her eyes and her small gestures as she hands him the sack is simply heartbreaking. You can almost hear that mothers heart shattered by the loss of a child scream out "I loved my boy Jack and I don't know and I don't care why you were so important to him but I know you were and I love you for it." But all she can actually say is that he is welcome back anytime. You can feel her total isolation as she watches him leave knowing she has just lost another piece of her sons life. Roberta Maxwell as Jacks mother is pure perfection.
If you decide to go see this movie you will get the chance to learn about love, loss, hate, fear, prejudice, loyalty and betrayal.The one single most important lesson is that we all have to make choices in this life. This has to be done with the most honest and truthful heart possible because no one is an island and your choices do and will affect other people.
If you loved it, or if you liked it, or if you thought it was just OK buy the DVD and every five or so years watch it again because the older the eyes the finer the film.
Well worth the money even without the Senior Discount.

Re: A Must Read Review about BBM by a Senior Citizen   
  by DoUntoOthers     (Fri Mar 10 2006 10:21:58 )   
Thank you for posting this wonderful heartfelt review :)

Everyone BUMP BUMP !
[Post deleted]   
This message has been deleted by the poster
  by bianca_patzelt     (Fri Mar 10 2006 10:23:22 )   
Very nice! :)
  by montferrat     (Fri Mar 10 2006 10:39:15 )   
One of the loveliest reviews I've seen about this film.

"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar
  by jshane2002      (Fri Mar 10 2006 10:50:48 )   
Thanks kindly for the wonderful, thoughtful discussion. When I first saw BBM and read the story I started thinking a lot about Jack's mom.

Being that the author of the story is a woman I get a strong sense of spiritual healling from woman and nature. The way Jack's mother puts her hand on Ennis' shoulder ( the hand comes down from above ) and the presence of Jack is so palpably real. It's like a holy spirit that feeds the soul. Jack's mother loved her son unconditionally and now she passes that grace on to Ennis.

Jack and Ennis even talk about the pentecost very early in the story and pentecost is the time when the spirit of jesus comes back ( I was raised catholic so we called it the "holy ghost"). Please correct me if my religion is not quite right.

After Ennis has slept with Jack he goes back up the meadow and sees a slaughtered sheep. The first connection you make is the similiarity of the sheep and the guy Earl that Ennis saw killed. Then it's suggested that Jack was also sacrificed the same way although we're not sure.

There was a movie about 15 years ago called "Babette's Feast" about a Parisian woman who was a famous chef who took refuge with some austere, bickering old lutherans in denmark. After living with the lutherans for years the frenchwoman wanted to give thanks to the congregation so she prepared a luxurious feast. The lutherans had never seen such elaborate, elegant cooking and at first they were very reluctant to eat. But something magical happened while they were dining and their souls were fed and their spirits rose and they started forgiving each other for all their petty fights and enjoyed each other's company.

I never realized how much there was of a ( female ) christ figure allegory there was to this story until I read a film review of it much later. The frenchwoman ( Babette ) spent all of her savings on this elaborate feast which corresponded to the Last Supper. The theme of a female jesus figure is frequently used by female writers - especially joined with nature as a nurturing and healing element.

At the end of the story Jack's presence in the spirit is so strong that Ennis speaks to him, his mom keeps his room just as it was. I'm still turning over in my mind the significance of the ashes -- as catholics we burn palm ashes and put them on our forheads before the start of lent.

Another point that I'd like to add is when The Passion of the Christ was released a well know woman religion scholar (Elaine Pagels) spoke how the film changed the emphasis of Christianity from Easter (which is about rebirth ) to the crucifixion. Easter is usually given the most emphasis...Christ has risen, trumpets blare, organ chords resound, REJOICE ! The severity of The Passion of the Christ is that there is no happy ending in easter, you just have this austere, severe crucifixion story. The joyous aspect of the story of the sacrifice has been purged out. The Last Supper ( which is celebrated as the mass ) is a re-enactment of Christ's sacrifice where men's spirits are fed in the communion.

Any Baptists here want to join in the discussion? Some people have alluded to washing at the stream.
  by anml-lvr     (Fri Mar 10 2006 10:55:20 )   
Bump.
This is a good one.
  by kthstewart     (Fri Mar 10 2006 11:05:00 )   
Sometimes older eyes who have seen so much in their life time are able to emphathize in a way that younger eyes just can't. I thought Roberta Maxwell did an outstanding job as Jack's mother. She shows that she has loved her son unconditionally and now that he is dead that she can give some of the love that she had for Jack to Ennis because she knows that Ennis meant so much to Jack.

The only thing I can't understand is how this wonderful love filled older woman could tolerate Jack's father. I guess she just has so much love in her heart that she could even love a hateful mean spirited old man as her husband.
  by anml-lvr     (Fri Mar 10 2006 11:10:47 )   
<The only thing I can't understand is how this wonderful love filled older woman could tolerate Jack's father. I guess she just has so much love in her heart that she could even love a hateful mean spirited old man as her husband.>

She probably married him when she was very young and literally felt like she has no choice but to tolerate him.
Her expressions spoke a thousand words. She wanted Jack to be buried on BBM and felt utterly helpless in knowing he wouldn't be and there was nothing she could do about it.
  by jshane2002      (Fri Mar 10 2006 11:12:59 )   
When Jack's mom was looking at Ennis and the dad starts saying "Tell you what, the ashes are going in the family plot..." the mom had put her hand up around her neck. At least the dad didn't understand the significance of the shirt that Ennis found. It was such a revelation to him, a sad revelation but at least it was a sign of Jack's love after death.
  by anml-lvr     (Fri Mar 10 2006 11:19:03 )   
Yeah, I think the significance of the mother putting her hand up around her neck was to show Ennis that Jacks father has choked the life right out of her and if she could help him with the ashes she would.
  by cameron_robinson     (Fri Mar 10 2006 11:09:17 )   
I loved reading this review.

by vince55     (Fri Mar 10 2006 11:10:18 )   
One of the best reviews. Thank you for the post.
  by ingrid_minerva     (Fri Mar 10 2006 11:17:52 )   
A brilliant review!!!

BBM,best movie ever
  by anml-lvr     (Fri Mar 10 2006 11:33:29 )   
Bump
  by oilgun     (Fri Mar 10 2006 11:38:26 )   
Thanks for posting the review. Now my eyes are watering!

What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence
- C. Hitchens
  by delalluvia     (Fri Mar 10 2006 12:03:40 )   
Thanks for posting the review. Now my eyes are watering!

Ditto.

Team Jolie
  by jshane2002      (Fri Mar 10 2006 12:15:19 )   
UPDATED Fri Mar 10 2006 13:07:52
I've been trying to promote intelligent, thoughtful discussion here. This thread I love because it speaks to those who are older and have many different regrets and joys in their lives which BBM echoes so well.

The scenes with Jack's mother are so powerful for me because the inside of the house is so much like a sepulchre which is part of the story of Easter, where the women go to get the body of Jesus and instead there are only angels inside. The gesture Jack's mother makes by putting her hand on Ennis' shoulder also happens when Ennis' own dad takes the nine year old Ennis to see the mutilated body of Earl.

Both Jack's mom and Ennis' dad push down and squeeze Ennis' shoulder. When I was nine years old I never saw anything as gruesome as a mutilated body but the catholic rituals of Holy Week always left a strong impression on me. More than Christmas or any other religious holiday. The church doors stay open for the 3 days until Easter. The contrast between this subdued mourning and the joyful, colorful, flowering triumph of Easter was always very sriking.

The day before Good Friday catholics cover all the statues of Jesus and Mary with purple cloths. The church doors stay open all night long and people go there to pray. This is the time that Jesus has been arrested and is being scourged.

The impressions of those large statues being covered up in purple has always stayed with me. People make the "stations of the cross" which means they move through 12 different locations inside the church where there is a scene from "the passion" leading up to the crucifixion.

Ashes are very signicant in catholic ritual as well ( some other denominations too ). A week before Sunday they put palms ( blessed by the pope ) behind crucifixes. After Easter those palms are burned and the ashes are used the following year on "Ash Wednesday" which is the start of Lent. Been trying to relate the theme of Jack's ashes and the palm ashes but the ideas will come to me or somebody in time,

One thing I learned through some of the BBM discussions is that originally Ennis and Alma were meant by Annie Proulx to be hispanic and probably catholic. I read that Proulx was very pleased by Heath Ledger's performance though. His performance was more than just career defining. So happy to read he is on the cover of Rolling Stone. And some trolls keep posting than BBM is passee.
  by slcm     (Fri Mar 10 2006 12:09:05 )   
Stunning!
  by SnickerD     (Fri Mar 10 2006 12:22:10 )   
Nice review and followed by some very poignant discussion.

very sage of those old eyes to see what we all see in this beautiful work of art.

by Jassy     (Fri Mar 10 2006 12:37:48 )   
Love it, especially the part about "Texas women don't get older just blonder." LOL.
  by ducdebrabant      (Fri Mar 10 2006 12:54:57 )   
Wow, that was lovely. So glad I got to read that.
  by roboy-0     (Fri Mar 10 2006 13:11:49 )   
ditto

I sure wrang it out a hunderd times thinkin about you. - Ennis Del Mar (the book)
  by chefjudy      (Fri Mar 10 2006 13:25:14 )   
UPDATED Fri Mar 10 2006 13:25:49
absolutely first rate critique - Bravo!!!

interestingly, a lot of the other filmgoers at the first three times I went to see BBM were seniors and I thought that was great because it meant they were open to not only the visuals portrayed, but also the underlying mesage of love, regardless of gender - ironically, the members of the academy (I can't bring myself to capitalize this word) are also older viewers, but it seems they are much more close minded, especially since apparently many decided to not even watch the movie and therefore make an intelligent decision - sad but true.......

"...it could be like this, just like this, always..." Jack Twist
  by alex-gowans     (Fri Mar 10 2006 16:31:10 )   
bump
[Post deleted]   
UPDATED Fri Mar 10 2006 17:22:36
  by starboardlight     (Fri Mar 10 2006 17:03:08 )   
yes, a beautiful heartfelt review. I really enjoyed reading that. thank you for posting it.
  by gggim25     (Fri Mar 10 2006 17:09:31 )   
Thanks pops.
[Post deleted]   
[Post deleted]   
  by robins-1     (Fri Mar 10 2006 17:46:10 )   
Thank you for posting this. Again, it makes me cry. I had read it somewhere else before. I also saw numerous senior ladies at my last show and a two senior couples. I was amazed and delighted that an older generation has taken this movie to heart.
  by promethius99     (Fri Mar 10 2006 17:47:36 )   
BBM will be one of the best selling DVD's I am so certain...
  by jshane2002      (Fri Mar 10 2006 23:14:51 )   
bump
  by AngelXfilesFarscape     (Mon Mar 13 2006 06:54:21 )   
wow, all I can say is whoever wrote the review, I wish that person was in my family :)

_____
Top 5 shows
1: Angel
2: X-files
3: Supernatural
4: Lost
5: Buffy
{RIP Glenn Quinn}
  by iamlaron     (Sat Mar 11 2006 03:05:48 )   
There is sooo much I want to say about this review but I don't have the capacity. .. so "thank you" will have to do. Thank you anml-lvr for sharing it, thank you to the one who wrote it and thank you to those of you who have shared your insights.
  by bhtung2005     (Sat Mar 11 2006 05:28:42 )   

This review is really helpful......

A very good punch.
  by gracefulgypsy     (Sat Mar 11 2006 05:39:34 )   
Very nice review, thanks for posting it! :)
  by bhtung2005     (Sat Mar 11 2006 07:38:17 )   
May I forward this review to forums in taiwan?

by northernlad      (Sat Mar 11 2006 08:19:53 )   
That's one of the best reviews I've read of Brokeback Mountain in quite awhile. Thank you for sharing it.

"And I need you more than want you and I want you for all time"
  by messiasjr-1     (Sat Mar 11 2006 08:33:22 )   
A must read review indeed. That just makes it clear that what people need to understand and love Brokeback Mountain is maturity, which they obviously have lots of. The fact that they could read through Jack mother's acts just confirms what we all knew about this wonderful scene.

Thank you for sharing this.
  by chinesehorse     (Sat Mar 11 2006 08:59:08 )   
I love the original reviewer's suggestion to buy the DVD and watch it again eery five or so years. It's a wisdom that comes only from the grace of aging. Some trolls never learn anything as they go through their lives.
[Post deleted]   
  by jshane2002      (Wed Mar 15 2006 17:20:40 )   
bump
[Post deleted]   
[Post deleted]   
  by priscillaherrington     (Mon Mar 13 2006 06:42:44 )   
I loved this review! I'm 63 myself, and have so far seen the movie 3 times (at senior discounted prices of course!), read the short story about 4 times, the movie script twice, play the soundtrack a lot....and can't wait for the DVD!

In some ways I think those of us who are older have a perspective that helps us "get" the movie and empathize with all the characters. The last time I went I brought a 19-year-old woman whose boyfriend didn't want to see it. Shhe enjoyed it, but she had a lot of trouble with it. For one thing, she kept thinking things like Why did Ennis go ahead and marry Alma? and Why didn't they just run that little cow and calf operation? and then she had to remind herself that the movie was taking place in 1963 and things were different. That's something she knows historically but doesn't automatically understand.

I think when I was 19 I "knew" I would never make compromises in my life. I "knew" all the answers, and my life was going to be so much more fulfilling than my parents' and most of their friends. Now I am 63 and acutely aware of the compromises I've made. I have my regrets. It is this experience that makes BBM so gut-twisting for us seniors!!!

[Post deleted]   
  by jshane2002      (Mon Mar 13 2006 17:57:07 )   
bump for the newbies

welcome, this board was paradise 6 weeks ago before the pre and post oscar flap.

"Well as long as we're going to be working together we may as well start drinking together."
[Post deleted]   
This message has been deleted by an administrator
[Post deleted]   
  by littledarlin     (Mon Mar 13 2006 19:25:15 )   
beautiful

together our two hearts are strong, don't you know that's where our hearts both belong
  by RHorton-Organist     (Mon Mar 13 2006 22:08:12 )   
This is great! I had seriously considered adding a thread about Jack's mother, but this thread covers the ground nicely. Mostly I've tried to see "Brokeback Mountain" during discount periods and most of the other patrons have been seniors. As I try to catch the gist of conversations as we leave, I find that most (not all) are positive.

I was 22 when Ennis and Jack were 19, so I understand many of the societal pressures they faced. I grew up in small towns (although never out west) and appreciate how strongly teenagers were expected to marry early and start families. These aspects of the film are so familiar that I think I empathize more easily with the characters than younger viewers who may first have to exercise a little "suspension of disbelief".
  by Michael-194     (Mon Mar 13 2006 22:33:59 )   
I'm a good ten years older than Jack and Ennis were - born in 1933, therefore a senior. I remember the sixties well; America pre Kennedy assassination was very different from the way it is today. This review touched my inner core - it reminded me of my attitudes at the time. It was a great review; I'm glad I had the opportunity to read it.

by battlestar-fanatica     (Mon Mar 13 2006 22:36:57 )   
excellent review

"The huge sadness of the northern plains rolled down on him."
  by carolwq     (Mon Mar 13 2006 22:45:38 )   

I wasn't crying while watching this movie, since I was spoiled by the spoilers. This is the first time I had tears because of this movie, feel my soul being washed by reading this review. It brings up one of the most powerful part of the movie, so quietly powerful that I did not even realized it untill now. Thanks for posting.
  by jshane2002      (Tue Mar 14 2006 17:41:57 )   
bump
[Post deleted]   
Re: Great stuff.   
  by CowboyFever     (Tue Mar 14 2006 18:05:20 )   
These reviews makes me cry everytime ... sniff
[Post deleted]   
Re: I have that, too...   
  by jshane2002      (Tue Mar 14 2006 22:37:09 )   
bump
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: A Must Read Review about BBM by a Senior Citizen -- by anml-lvr
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 07:47:12 am »
  by kula17     (Wed Mar 15 2006 13:08:16 )   
I can't believe I almost missed this wonderful review. I'm adding it to my list of favorites. It really struck a chord with me. Sadly, I don't have anymore grandparents, but all I have to say is that the grandchildren of these folks are really lucky. We should all pay more attention to our elderly (That goes for me too).
  by sn093111     (Wed Mar 15 2006 13:51:32 )   
Hey, bbm fans, don't respond to morons (it will degrade your intelligence), ignore those trolls, reading something worth your time!
  by Yuki_Cross     (Wed Mar 15 2006 14:05:18 )   
What a wonderful review! The matinees in my area have many seniors who see this film. I always wondered what they thought. Good thread.

"Humans are cowards in the face of happiness. You need courage to hold on to happiness."-KG
  by redgryffindorclaw     (Wed Mar 15 2006 23:24:01 )   
one of the greatest reviews ive read...its sincere and truthful... it just gives a different side of the movie to talk about.. a different kind of love that the movie posses... and the old guys are the once who notices it.. and so does loreens transformations...lol... but seriously its a great review... its just so pure...
bump   
  by purchas500     (Thu Mar 16 2006 05:58:14 )   
I loved this review.

*bump*
  by bella3-1     (Thu Mar 16 2006 06:15:22 )   
Thank you Thank you. your definition of this film, seen through your eyes adds new dimension for me.. especially about Jack's mothers pain...
beautiful summery!
  by lucise     (Thu Mar 16 2006 13:36:10 )   
Got goosebumps reading such a beautiful and heartfelt review.
Cheers for posting it anml-lvr!
I was also encouraged to see this: "536 of 612 people found this review helpful". Good job!

'If you sleep through life, you wake up dead.'
  by n_x     (Thu Mar 16 2006 19:31:29 )   
"every five or so years watch it again because the older the eyes the finer the film."

-----------------

that couldn't be more true, the more i think about this film the better i like it, i think the difference between an enduring film like this and other films where you tire of after 1 or 2 viewings, is that movies like BBM can stand the test of time, for each time you watch it you getsomething more out of it and consequently learn to appreciate it better, at least that's how it is for me. Great, heartfelt review.
[Post deleted]   
[Post deleted]   
  by jshane2002      (Sat Mar 18 2006 23:08:05 )   
bump
  by jshane2002      (Sun Mar 19 2006 19:37:00 )   
bump
  by jshane2002      (Mon Mar 20 2006 16:07:09 )   
bump
  by latjoremekeed     (Mon Mar 20 2006 16:17:00 )   
Wow, thanks for posting and bumping that, jshane. It gave me shivers AND made me cry. Especially the part about Lureen on the phone and, of course, his insight into hawt Mrs. Twist was feeling.
  by jshane2002      (Mon Mar 20 2006 22:03:04 )   
bump
  by jshane2002      (Thu Mar 23 2006 11:44:29 )   
bump
  by amh625     (Fri Mar 24 2006 09:55:50 )   
bump
  by jshane2002      (Fri Mar 24 2006 15:28:21 )   
bump
[Post deleted]   
  by jshane2002      (Tue Mar 28 2006 17:15:15 )   
bump
[Post deleted]   
  by jshane2002      (Tue Mar 28 2006 20:45:39 )   
bump

"You did once?"
  by wontingwitch      (Tue Mar 28 2006 20:56:33 )   
UPDATED Wed Mar 29 2006 08:36:18
Link to original review http://movies.yahoo.com/mvc/dfrv?mid=1808403312&s=&rvid=255-628017&i=6&spl=&ys=6sLpJHCrHV7ysabmdPvNLw--

daily I read something on this board that brings me to tears, today it was this thread. Thanks for sharing. bump
[Post deleted]   
  by indiansummer     (Sun Apr 2 2006 08:38:03 )   
One of the most touching reviews, of this film, I've read. Great Post. And keep 'em coming. We need more posts like these.
  by ronnie27     (Sun Apr 2 2006 20:46:19 )   
I'm grateful to you, anml-lover, for reposting this wonderful, heartfelt review. I might have missed it otherwise. I totallly agree that the second tent scene lets you know this is more than just drunk sex. Loved when the reviewer wrote about Lureen's hair. And the fact that the film would have been great even if they'd paid full price!

But the most touching part of the review was regarding Jack's mother. I think that's the part of the film that affected me the most, being the mother of a gay son. I felt her love and pain at his death deep inside me. Roberta Maxwell did a magnificent job, and the reviewer's eloquent description of her motivation and intent had me sobbing now, much as I did in the movie theater. This is truly a movie for the ages. I know I'll be watching it when I'm in my 60's!

So much that is positive has come from Brokeback Mountain...and keeps on coming. (DVD in 2 days!)

"...what we got now is Brokeback Mountain."-Jack (For which I'm forever grateful!)
  by Michael-194     (Mon Apr 3 2006 07:19:13 )   
73-year old man here!

Thank you for reposting this beautiful review. It really spoke directly to me.

Old Brokeback got us good, and it sure ain't over.
  by pkdetroit     (Mon Apr 3 2006 07:57:10 )   
Thanks for sharing that wonderful review, and also many thanks to those seniors who have posted on this thread. The second time I saw BBM in a theater I was struck by how many older people were in the audience. There was a definite majority of grey hairs that day. I was curious to know how some of them reacted to the movie, but shyness and the fact that I had to immmediately leave for work (yes, I went to see it on my way to work) kept me from striking up any conversations. It is no surprise that the scene with Jack's parents would be most memorable and moving for many older folks.

"It was the Summer that Sebastian and I went to the Incantadas"
[Post deleted]   
  by prettyeyes58     (Tue Apr 4 2006 08:19:19 )   
Beautiful review.
  by ennis_jackever     (Tue Apr 4 2006 10:47:57 )   
Thank You SO Much 'Senior Citizen'...Your Review was both Heartwarming and Moving. I Feel I can Almost 'Hear' Your Wonderful, Wise, and Warm Texan Accent. Your Review just 'Solidifies' the Majority's Opinion that this Movie Transcends across a HUGE Spectrum, regardless of Age, Race, Gender, Sexual Orientation, Nationality, Class, Culture, etc., etc., It just 'Touches The Heart'. Period. The only 'Disagreement' I have with You is, I will watch My TREASURED copy of this 'Masterpiece' a LOT More that just 'Every 5 Years'. I wouldn't have the Willpower to just see it every 5 Years.LOL!! No, this DVD will be 'Cookin' inside My DVD Player a 'Zillion' Times in any 5 Year Period. "You Bet"!!
[Post deleted]   
  by kula17     (Thu Apr 6 2006 21:36:25 )   
Sometimes the best reviews come from the those who are wiser and have lived a fuller life. Thanks for bumping this oldie but goodie.
  by ducdebrabant      (Fri Apr 7 2006 15:40:29 )   
bump
[Post deleted]   
  by ducdebrabant      (Tue Apr 11 2006 07:22:04 )   
bump
  by jshane2002      (Sun Apr 16 2006 20:54:45 )   
bump
  by maggiesmommy0399     (Sun Apr 16 2006 21:14:32 )   
I ahve a folder in my documents labled BBM...in there i keep the really special posts and other things pertaining to BBM....this was just added...wow...i am heading toward that #60 and just thought i was pretty darn cool to feel the way i do about BBM bieng aded and all...this really puts me in my place... VERY SPECIAL...thaks for the bump..
  by kudzudaddy     (Mon Apr 17 2006 17:52:09 )   
Bump for a great thread.
[Post deleted]   
  by mr_kovax     (Sun Apr 30 2006 20:35:32 )   
Very nice!

BUMP!
  by riwit99     (Sun Apr 30 2006 20:49:37 )   
i don't know... i don't know. everytime i read reviews like this, i can't help my tears falling. the reviews alone are enough to transport me to "that" experience. it's hard to think that brokeback mountain is just a movie.
  by shortfic     (Sun Apr 30 2006 22:24:07 )   
Really nice. Thank you for posting it.

"Say thank you, Gilbert. Say thank you."
  by izzardcrazed     (Mon May 1 2006 15:27:35 )   
Bump. 'Nuf said.
[Post deleted]   
[Post deleted]   
[Post deleted]   
[Post deleted]   
Re: bump   
  by krpc7     (Tue May 23 2006 07:31:19 )   
Beautiful review. Thank you.
Re: bump   
  by joyce023     (Sun Jun 4 2006 10:36:02 )   
bump
[Post deleted]   
[Post deleted]   
[Post deleted]   
[Post deleted]   
[Post deleted]   
[Post deleted]   
I read this review back in March and it still makes me cry...   
  by toycoon      (Sun Jul 16 2006 14:57:25 )   
UPDATED Sun Jul 16 2006 14:58:07
There are so many entry points into the heart of this film both deep and shallow that even the negative reviews (that I've read) have had to admire and comment on the superb acting, the elegant writing or at the very least, the majestic scenery.
[Post deleted]   
[Post deleted]   
[Post deleted]   
[Post deleted]   
  by matt-2044     (Fri Aug 11 2006 04:42:34 )   
What an amazing review, I have read many but this is one of the best and one of the most insightful.

I feel an empty ache in my stomach each time I read it and it usually takes more than two attempts to read this whole review in one go.

Just the thought of the scene with Ennis and Jacks parents makes me want to watch it again and again. I learn more about the fim and indeed myself with each new nuance and action.

A big thank you to the reviewer for the wonderful sentiments above.
  by jayantmay     (Fri Aug 11 2006 13:25:52 )   
You can feel her total isolation as she watches him leave knowing she has just lost another piece of her sons life.

I couldn't have stated it more eloquently myself.
  by CowboysInLove     (Thu Aug 17 2006 09:43:25 )   
bump
  by robertcrabtree3000     (Sat Aug 26 2006 22:03:28 )   
And all THAT came from a SENIOR CITIZEN?!

I wouldn't believe that post if only that guy hadn't described the movie in such a deep, heartful way. Amazing.
  by vince55     (Wed Aug 30 2006 19:59:12 )   
bump
[Post deleted]   
  by nuvowest777     (Tue Sep 5 2006 19:28:29 )   
bump
Re: A Must Read Review about BBM + 2 MORE   
  by patlecat-2     (Thu Sep 7 2006 10:09:26 )   

Grandpa nailed it.
First time a review makes me cry even more than the film it's reviewing.

Thanks to the poster who provided the link, I checked a few other reviews from that site. I'd like to share two others with you.

A Moral, Inspirational Film For CHRISTIANS
by santannawinds (movies profile) Dec 30, 2005
186 of 253 people found this review helpful

As a proud member of my church, I felt compelled to see this movie that everyone was talking about.

I am so glad I did.

At its core, it is a very moral, inspirational film that Christians can learn so much from. We have been guilty of using our religion as a weapon against women, against members of other faiths, against people of other races, against those who simply believe differently than we do, and of course, against those whom the Lord created as gay.

This movie is so effective and such a learning tool because it cuts through mindless, ingrained prejudices and allows us to see our gay brothers as EXACTLY THE SAME as we are. They love, they laugh, they bleed, and they long for the peace, happiness and love that we all look for, and which God wants us all to experience.

The script is nuanced and subtle, revealing layers of feeling among all the characters. The cinematography is awe-inspiring, and reminds us of the beauty the Lord creates. The acting is excellent all around, with Heath Ledge and Jake Gyllenhaal bringing depth, integrity and honor to their roles. Some misinformed critics complain that adultery is "glamorized" in the movie, but nothing could be further from the truth. The unyeilding, irrational prejudice of society trapped the characters in relationships and situations that left them all deeply wounded. There is no glamorization here, only a stark reminder of the evils of prejudice, and the deep scars it leaves on all those whom it touches.

That, in the end, is why this film has the power both to open hearts and educate minds. As a society, we have evolved into the light and come to realize that our Creator does not advocate or condone our subjugating women or repressing minorities. Now it's time to evolve one step further, and let go of the virulent, anti-Christian hatred that allows a sad minority of people to continue condemning gay people. Being exactly the way God made them, they deserve all the rights and respect we demand for ourselves, and denying them that, based on irrational fears and prejudices, only leads to tragedy like we see in this beautiful, meaningful film.

See Brokeback Mountain, and realize how evil prejudice really is.

The second review is pretty amazing but just as heartwarming in its own way...

I WANTED TO HATE THIS MOVIE SO BAD
by im_a_major_chick_magnet (movies profile) Feb 11, 2006
78 of 81 people found this review helpful

I wanted this movie to fail because I am not gay/bi. I have always disliked gay people because they are not like me. My DAD of all people asked me to see the movie with him and his boring hunting buddies. One of the hunters is gay and asked the others to support him by seeing the movie. I went so that I could come back and tell EVERYONE that the movie was sick agenda and was full of prancing gays.

I never in a million years thought I would come back to my wife from seeing this movie and tell her that I was wrong. I even sat in the car for a half hour smoking so that I would'nt have to come inside and face her. No agenda, no sick....

No matter how you slice it, Brokeback Mountain is an amazing epic film that will move you. I am not an emotional man. I am the average family man and I like things to be conservative. Hell, I voted for Bush in the last election (which was a mojor mistake but for other reasons). I was shocked to think that regular masculine men can be gay too, I never really thought it could be. I have always thought of gays as prancing purses that make me cringe. Brokeback made me realize that I was only seeing the slim minority of gay men. Now I know that 90% of gays are normal masculine guys with alot of the same interests as you and me. I still cringe at prancers, sorry but its true. But I will try to work on it :)

The acting was better than acting should be. It was like I was witnessing real life caught on film. The visuals were amazing too. The wives were hot. I thought that Alma may have been cheating on Ennis in the end with the guy that owned the supermarket. First I have to say that I was not turned on by the "male bonding" that I saw in this movie, even if they were both very goodlooking guys. Two men together do nothing for me. At the same time, it was not a put off either because they were so masculine. It really opened my eyes. Was nothing like I thought it would be. Infact, why can't sex with a woman be that easy to negociate ??? WHY ????????

THIS WAS THE FIRST TIME THAT I HAVE EVER BEEN TO A MOVIE WHERE EVERYONE WAS CLAPPING AT THE END. From what I could see, the theater was full of man woman couples. A couple of queens and a bunch of rugged looking "buddies" lol. I did not cry but man I had to work on not crying when Ennis got his postcard return to him stamped "deceased". You could have heard a pin drop in the theater and then I heard people sobbing.

Anyway, my wife is making me take down the damn xmas lights so I have to go.

IF YOU ARE THE AVERAGE STRAIGHT GUY THEN I PROMISE YOU THAT YOU WILL LIKE THIS MOVIE. THE SCENERY, THE HORSES, THE HOT NAKED WOMAN, AND YES, YOU WILL EVEN MAKE A CONNECTION WITH HEATH AND JAKE. THEY ARE AMAZING IN THIS MOVIE.

I was wrong, sorry gay people. Who would have thought that 2 1/2 hours in a theater would change a man forever ?? Im no more gay today than I was yesterday before seeing the film, but I am a better person. YAY for me. Plus my wife thinks Im even more hot now that Im not so "ignorant" as she says LMAO

http://movies.yahoo.com/mvc/dfrv?mid=1808403312&s=&rvid=255-651207&i=52&spl=&ys=KFkQmatFYypIjxLCgzixoQ--

by berit-6     (Thu Sep 7 2006 13:47:45 )   
I have never bumped before... but now...bump!
  by HitchcockAficionado     (Thu Sep 7 2006 13:56:13 )   
ONE OF THE MOST HEARTFELT REVIEWS I'VE SEEN FOR THIS FILM, AND THE FACT THAT ITS ALL TRUE MAKES IT THAT MUCH MORE PASSIONATE.

BUMP!

LMS:
Olive: I'd like to dedicate this to my grandpa, who taught me all of my moves.

bump   
  by joyce023     (Tue Sep 19 2006 12:47:42 )   
bump
  by vince55     (Wed Sep 20 2006 11:15:26 )   
bump
  by berit-6     (Thu Sep 21 2006 10:04:34 )   
bump
  by littlewing1957     (Thu Sep 21 2006 15:43:56 )   
bump
  by Shasta254     (Sun Oct 29 2006 07:25:54 )   
Saw BBM this weekend. Just read this post and even though it was posted a while back, since I have just watched the movie----it's new to me. I love it. I cried and cried over what you said about Jack's mom. It's such a lonely scene at the end. I love the connection between the two---they both loved Jack, so they have that in common. Very thoughtful post, anmlvr. Thanks.
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40