Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 9047305 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #3930 on: October 07, 2008, 12:12:03 pm »
My brother went looking for a car the other day.  He doesn't need one yet, his old one is still working fine.  Just wanted to see what the prices are like.  A dealer told him that things are so rough right now, that most dealers are only accepting cash or certified checks for auto purchases, credit no longer being extended.

Interesting. ...  8)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #3931 on: October 07, 2008, 02:01:24 pm »
I'm just glad I paid mine off.   ;D

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline dejavu

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3932 on: October 07, 2008, 06:49:05 pm »
I'm just glad I paid mine off.   ;D

And that you won't need a new one for a looooooong time!
Jack's from Texas.
Texans don't drink coffee?

Offline underdown

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • aka... Rob
« Reply #3933 on: October 07, 2008, 08:42:20 pm »
Wow, guys, it sounds really bad up there. Things are crook in Oz, too, but nowhere near that bad.

The banks here are still giving credit, so businesses haven't been hard hit yet, but the stock market, like in the rest of the world, is sinking and very fragile. A lot of folk who are due to retire are putting that off, because their superannuation nest eggs have taken a serious battering.

Oz is fortunate to have a reasonable Government surplus to create jobs, but that will take a while to get going.
In the meantime, we have a huge supply of base metals and coal that have provided a big source of income, when other countries were buying them.
Now the prices have dropped dramatically, 'though the ozzie dollar has dropped a lot, too, so it's not all bad.

It will be interesting to see which countries emerge from all this, either stronger or weaker.

The funny thing is, no-one is burning the money. So where is it going?  ???

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #3934 on: October 07, 2008, 08:53:58 pm »
Rob, I wish I could tell you!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline underdown

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • aka... Rob
« Reply #3935 on: October 07, 2008, 09:16:04 pm »
Oops. I sound like another person asking awkward questions.
Well, there's been a lot of talk about people in the US getting cheap loans, and then being in a difficult position when interest rates rose, and going into default, causing huge problems for the banks. And some people thinking the rest of us have suffered as a result.
That's true, to a degree, but the whole world has been on a buying spree. Chinese goods more affordable (especially electronics), China, in turn, expanding and buying up huge amounts of raw materials, oil and coal. So, it's a world-wide problem of fast expansion of debt in all sorts of areas, and money in short supply. Thus, maybe it has flowed into a few coffers where it will just take a while to flow back out again. Maybe when the share markets are so low they will be very attractive. That can't be far off. Some markets have already started to stabilise.

Phew! It's a good thing we can also chat about more pleasant things in BM.

Offline underdown

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • aka... Rob
« Reply #3936 on: October 07, 2008, 09:17:44 pm »
How's the gym going, Chuck?
Is the weight still coming off ?

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #3937 on: October 07, 2008, 09:23:28 pm »
How's the gym going, Chuck?  Is the weight still coming off ?

Unfortunately, I've been slacking with the gym, and the eating, so the weight is on a stand still.  I've recommited, and I'm determined to get this done!

what's up with you, buddy?

Offline underdown

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • aka... Rob
« Reply #3938 on: October 07, 2008, 10:00:23 pm »
Stick with it, bud. It'll be worth it. (The gym, that is ... not the food).

What have I been up to?
Only the usual. Came back from Melbourne after a bad experience with the work there, and now back in Sydney, doing what I love most.
Working with a great company that wants to expand their development and construction business.
Looking around for a happy place to live.
Going out on the occasional date but not very serious about it. Heee, I mentioned one of those to Fiona, and she wanted a blow by blow account (no pun intended).  ;D  Actually, it was a bit of a non-event. Can't seem to get enthusiastic the past few years.

How's your tickling going?

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #3939 on: October 07, 2008, 10:05:01 pm »
Stick with it, bud. It'll be worth it. (The gym, that is ... not the food).

What have I been up to?  Only the usual. Came back from Melbourne after a bad experience with the work there, and now back in Sydney, doing what I love most.  Working with a great company that wants to expand their development and construction business.  Looking around for a happy place to live.  Going out on the occasional date but not very serious about it. Heee, I mentioned one of those to Fiona, and she wanted a blow by blow account (no pun intended).  ;D  Actually, it was a bit of a non-event. Can't seem to get enthusiastic the past few years.

How's your tickling going?

Don't give up buddy!  You're a sweet guy, and I bet there's someone out there waiting for you.  ;D