Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8928857 times)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #4070 on: October 16, 2008, 06:46:59 pm »
That takes me back. I can remember my old blue  Post Office savings account book. Every Saturday, when I got my pocket money,  would go to the shop, buy one bar of Cadbury's mint crisp. Then munching on that would pay the rest into my savings account. Which the machine would stamp.

On a bad week I would also buy 10 black Jacks and 10 fruit salads( chewy yummy sweets) You could get 4 of either for one old penny, about half a cent.
so 20 would be about 2.5 cents !!!!

When I had enough money saved I would go to the joke shop and buy itching powder, pretend dog poo all the normal stuff. Happy days.Or if I had really saved I could go to the book shop and buy a new Enid Blyton book, and get lost in the famous five's adventures.

Life really was so easy then. I never remember feeling deprived either.

Oh Yes Fiona I remember all that too.....

When we started school, we were encouraged to open a bank account, and the bank actually started it off by giving us our first deposit of two shillings (20 cents)...then every week the bank people would come to the school and we would stand in line to make our deposits, usually only 1 shilling (10 cents)...and then we would look at our passbook as we walked away at the new balance, and thought we were getting so rich.

Oh and yes,  didn't we get a lot of lollies for our money back then......I remember if we bought threpence worth (3cents) we would get a little white paper bag full, and if by chance we had sixpence (6cents) to splurge, we would actually get them in a big brown paper bag.

Oh those were the days.....when Wagon Wheels were so big, we had a hard time geting thru them, and chocolate coated licorice bullets were 10 for a penny.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #4071 on: October 16, 2008, 06:49:30 pm »
Now that the Spanish bank has taken over, you might get some updated equipment.........do you have compters yet??

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Katie77

« Reply #4072 on: October 16, 2008, 06:56:16 pm »

Oh, well wait until you do........they are supposed to save on paperwork........(but they dont)
                                           they are supposed to save time................(except when they go down )
                                           they save the worker time...........(if you are still employed there)

And the best thing of all.......YOU CAN BLAME THE COMPUTER FOR ANY MISTAKES YOU MAKE

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #4073 on: October 16, 2008, 06:58:20 pm »
Susie, you are tooo much!  ;D

Of course we have computers!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4074 on: October 16, 2008, 07:02:59 pm »
The very best one is, blame the computer for everything. Marvellous, I wish they had been aroundwhen I was at school. So tell me Fiona what rare beast savaged your homework this time. ?

Oh to just be able to say, the whole system crashed and sent my work into cyberspace, Sister John the Baptist.
 Yes that is what we called her, I went to a convent school. No wonder I am so mesed up.

Offline Katie77

« Reply #4075 on: October 16, 2008, 07:03:43 pm »

Electric ones??????

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #4076 on: October 16, 2008, 07:05:45 pm »
no, we have gerbils in wheels that power the cpu.

Offline optom3

« Reply #4077 on: October 16, 2008, 07:08:48 pm »

Well they have computers here too, but they always ask for your fax no. WTF .We stopped using faxes in England so long ago, I still had knees where they should be, not down by my ankles. !!!!

Offline Katie77

« Reply #4078 on: October 16, 2008, 07:13:17 pm »
Remember when faxes first came out and they used a roll of shiney paper......and our files were full of all that curled up paper that would never lay flat, and were raggedly torn at the top and the bottom....

Offline optom3

« Reply #4079 on: October 16, 2008, 07:19:53 pm »
Remember when faxes first came out and they used a roll of shiney paper......and our files were full of all that curled up paper that would never lay flat, and were raggedly torn at the top and the bottom....

Remember them, they were the bane of my life.They also faded after 6/12 so you could no longer see what was on them.
I can also remember my first cell phone which was the size of a house brick with an arial that was so long I nearly had to stick it out the sun roof. !!!!!

What's worse I thought I was the dogs do dahs !!!!