Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 9076486 times)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #10700 on: February 17, 2012, 04:09:00 pm »
pescatarian: Cuts out all meat but not fish..

Brian.. hello! How are you?
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #10701 on: February 17, 2012, 11:43:27 pm »
Hi Kelda
I am fine. Travelling up the full length of NZ with my sister. Just reached the Bay of Islands. Cruise tomorrow. Tuesday right to the very tOp of NZ Cape Reinga. Then back to Auckland on Thursday. My sister flies home to Sydney from there on Saturday. I will then take about 4 days to make my way alone back to Dunedin.
Usual hassles with technology. Bought an IPad last August and I hate it. Now the resort where we are staying claims there is wifi in all rooms but no signal in mine. Even on my sisters laptop (much better) I can see the signal but not strong enough so I am sitting In the resort cafe now.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #10702 on: February 18, 2012, 05:03:52 am »
Brian, you're the first person I hear saying they hate the iPad.
What do you find annoying with it?

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #10703 on: February 18, 2012, 12:58:42 pm »
pescatarian: Cuts out all meat but not fish..

That doesn't explain the "drink strictly water" part?
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #10704 on: February 18, 2012, 02:54:14 pm »
Hi Kelda
I am fine. Travelling up the full length of NZ with my sister. Just reached the Bay of Islands. Cruise tomorrow. Tuesday right to the very tOp of NZ Cape Reinga. Then back to Auckland on Thursday. My sister flies home to Sydney from there on Saturday. I will then take about 4 days to make my way alone back to Dunedin.
Usual hassles with technology. Bought an IPad last August and I hate it. Now the resort where we are staying claims there is wifi in all rooms but no signal in mine. Even on my sisters laptop (much better) I can see the signal but not strong enough so I am sitting In the resort cafe now.

Enjoy ehats left.. I'm sure its been fun even with the ipad/wireless problems.

I think hes just cutting out drinks too! Not to do with the pescatarian bit.

http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #10705 on: February 18, 2012, 04:04:29 pm »
Hello Bettermost friends!

Oh, sleeping in feels soooooo good!  It's a nice sunny day here, and I've actually opened the window in my bedroom to let some fresh air in.  It can't stay open too long, it will get colder soon and then it will be uncomfortable for sleeping, but it feels good now.  I think my body is changing in regards to heat and cold.  I used to hate the heat, and would love to sleep in a cold bedroom.  Lately, however, I've been feeling the cold sooner.  In fact, last summer when I would drive in the car, I don't remember ever using the air conditioner.

Hope you make it through the rest of today at work, and get rested and rejuvenated this weekend.

Oh yes, I've made it through work just fine, and the cube is once again empty.  ;D  I feel very rested now, and I'm about to go out for a walk once my MP3 player finishes charging.

"Pescatarian"?  Never heard that one.  Tell us more please.  And why did you decide on this particular choice for Lent?

pescatarian: Cuts out all meat but not fish.

I think hes just cutting out drinks too! Not to do with the pescatarian bit

As Kelda said, Pescatarian doesn't eat meat, but will eat fish.  I've always been a picky eater, and as of late my diet has expanded and I've always wondered what it would be like to be a vegetarian or something similiar.  From what I understand there are "tiers" to this.

Vegan:  No animal products whatsoever, which includes wearing leather or wool, no eggs, no milk from animals.
Vegetarian:  May use leather or wool (but may not), will consume eggs or milk, but no meat.
Pescatarian:  Vegetables, eggs and milk, fish products.

As for the "just water" part, I generally don't drink much (milk, juice) but have plenty of water during the day, with soda at dinner, sometimes at lunch.  Recent reports have talked about diet soda not being good for you, so I've decided to see if I can stick to this strict diet for the full 40 days of Lent.  It seems like a good way to kick-start a healthier eating pattern.

What a different life we live. I just checked my mobile and I have 6 personal names in it plus a few like the airport shuttle and my car service company. Most months I have no calls. I just keep it for emergencies like 2 nights ago when I had a flat tiyre as we were leaving our motel to go and get dinner in pouring rain. I had not had a flat tyre for about 12 years and did not feel like reading the instructions in good clothes and rain. When I was young the road service vehicle would not change a tyre for a male, thankfully that has now changed though I guess grey hair helps -:)

Hiya Brian!  Good to see you here!  I don't get too many phone calls, to be honest, but since I've canceled my land-line, I need to have my Blackberry.  As for the tire thing, I've changed my own tire quite a few times.  It's not as difficult as people make it out to be.

Travelling up the full length of NZ with my sister. Just reached the Bay of Islands. Cruise tomorrow. Tuesday right to the very tOp of NZ Cape Reinga. Then back to Auckland on Thursday. My sister flies home to Sydney from there on Saturday. I will then take about 4 days to make my way alone back to Dunedin.  Usual hassles with technology. Bought an IPad last August and I hate it. Now the resort where we are staying claims there is wifi in all rooms but no signal in mine. Even on my sisters laptop (much better) I can see the signal but not strong enough so I am sitting In the resort cafe now.

I hope you and your sister have had a great trip!  I don't have an I-Pad, my big purchase will be my first laptop.  I'll get it in November when I get my own place.  Since I do travel, I may as well have something I can carry around with me.

Brian, you're the first person I hear saying they hate the iPad.  What do you find annoying with it?

Hiya Sonja!  How are you?  I've used an I-Pad a few times, I think they're fairly simple to use, but like I said, I don't have one, so my experience is limited.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #10706 on: February 18, 2012, 04:21:53 pm »
Hi Chuck! I'm fine, thanks. Hope you too   :-*

I've tried an iPad only once or twice, and I also found it fairly simple to use. I'm not computer savvy in any way, and have never used a Mac, but I still got the hang of the iPad fairly quickly. I could never use it as my only computer though, since the key board is too small and I need real keys for my fingers to find the right letter.

Re your laptop, may I suggest you consider a netbook? I bought one last year as a complement to my desktop, and I find it extremely useful. The screen is a bit on the small side, true, but it's very convenient for travels, fits in any bag and very light. Very easy to bring along.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #10707 on: February 20, 2012, 01:26:16 pm »
Chuck, tell us something good.

I want to go to Guyana to see this waterfall:

Jonestown has now been reclaimed by the jungle, but locals say you can still see an old tractor. An old tractor ain't worth making a trip for.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #10708 on: February 20, 2012, 01:52:26 pm »
That waterfall looks amazing, Truman!

Offline brianr

« Reply #10709 on: February 20, 2012, 11:08:52 pm »
Have finally reached a motel with free unlimited wifi. My sister is catching up on over 50 messages. The previous motel where we stayed for 3 days charged $7 for 60 minutes and I found out this morning that meant 60 continuous minutes so I lost 40 yesterday when I thought I was saving them for this morning. As I said, they claimed it was available in all rooms but I found it only worked within about 20 meters of the aerial next to the swim pool.
The frig was badly frosted, the tv did not even sho all the free to air stations and not my favorite. The laundry was yuck, not cleaned in months I would say. One PowerPoint in the kitchenette for microwave, toaster and jug. The deck furniture needed a good scrub. I stayed at this resort 8 years ago in a camper an and it overlooks a beautiful waterfall and river. I was so disappointed. I remember a good meal in the restaurant but this time there was no menu and when we askedtheysaid therewas just roast beef and gave the impression they would prefer we went elsewhere, which we did.

I am slowly getting use to the iPad. I have used macs for over 20 years and as a librarian managed banks of them. I thought an iPad would be similar but it is very different. My fingers tend to hit the wrong parts of the screen.  I have used appleworks for years and years and find pages and numbers complicated for the little I do. I upgraded my laptop to lion and was horrified to find it no longer supports AppleWorks. My Christmas card data base has gone and all my documents more than about4 years old. I will have to fire up my old Mac which I have not used for about 5 years.

However today we drove to cape Reinga which is the very top of nz. I was there 8 years ago but sister had not been there. I took her to Bluff the very south on feb 22 last year - a day to always be remembered, thinking of all the people in  Christchurch, one year after the big quake.