Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 9194861 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #10760 on: March 08, 2012, 06:22:35 pm »
The word Yid is Yiddish for Jew. It's not a slur, it's just a word for a Jewish person.

Maybe not everywhere, but Yid  is a major slur in the US. 

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #10761 on: March 08, 2012, 06:40:48 pm »
Really?  I've never heard anyone say "Yid".

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Online Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #10762 on: March 08, 2012, 06:57:20 pm »
Maybe not everywhere, but Yid  is a major slur in the US. 

Really? I didn't know that.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #10763 on: March 08, 2012, 07:09:39 pm »
Yid  is a major slur in the US. 

Really? I didn't know that.

Maybe it's something like the "N-word": Yiddish speakers may use it among themselves to refer to other Yiddish speakers, but it's a slur when used by us Goyim.

"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #10764 on: March 09, 2012, 09:14:06 am »
Hello Bettermost friends!

I did an image search of "man at computer" today and the little guy surfin' the 'net on his mouse appeared.  LOL

I thought it was cute, so he's the image for today.

It's Friday, it's pay day!  I've done all my "financial juggling" for the morning, and I've split up my pay to checking, savings, LOC, and paid my bills.

I have time off that I have to use by the end of March or I lose it, so the rest of the month I've taken off every Wednesday, so I don't have to wake up early after late night bowling tournaments.

;D

The first Wednesday (14th) I'll get getting my taxes done.  ;D

Interesting conversation here regarding "Yidish" and "yid"......I have to say, I've never heard anyone say "Yid" before, that was new to me.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #10765 on: March 09, 2012, 09:42:39 am »
This may explain the confusion:  in Yiddish the word is fine; in English it's a slur.

yid   /yɪd/ noun Slang:  Disparaging and Offensive .
a Jew.

Word Origin & History

Yid

generally derogatory term for a Jew, 1874, from Yiddish use, where it is complimentary (see Yiddish).

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/yid

Online Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #10766 on: March 09, 2012, 05:24:38 pm »
Maybe it's something like the "N-word": Yiddish speakers may use it among themselves to refer to other Yiddish speakers, but it's a slur when used by us Goyim.

Well, if a goy ever tried to insult me by using it, they'd probably feel pretty stupid, cause I wouldn't feel insulted in the least. It would just state a fact.  ;D

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #10767 on: March 12, 2012, 07:57:59 am »

Ya know, missing an hour's sleep shouldn't feel like such a big deal, but damn, I was sooooo tired all day yesterday!

I was fine when I woke up this morning, but I'm starting to feel tired again,and it's only an hour into the workday!  :o

Oh, and I forgot to tell you, there was drama at work on Friday!  :laugh:

Let's see....how to tell it without spilling names......

Ok, on my team there are 8 Relationship Managers, there are two Relationship Assistants (I'm one of them) and the a Senior Relationship Assistant, who is my immediate supervisor.

On Friday my Sr. RA said she needed to speak with me so we went into one of the private conference rooms.  It turns out that the other RA here isn't getting along with one of her RMs, and the animosity has been building for a while.  Apparently it came to a head last week and there were very heated words exchanged.

I wasn't there to hear it, but I WISH I was.  LOL

End result is that they've decided they can no longer work with each other, and a switch was made and now I'm working for that RM, and the other RA has taken on one of my RMs instead.

::)

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #10768 on: March 12, 2012, 02:06:26 pm »
It sounds like a case of 8 chiefs and 3 Indians.
My last permanent position was at a school where they decided to combine 3 schools into one college with 3 campuses. After several years of meetings it was formed with 3 campus principals and 1 college principal. They sat round meeting and discussing all day over cups of tea and coffee while the rest of us ran the college. The college principal drove around the campuses each day so took the inter-campus mail with him so I referred to him as the most highly paid postman in the country. A year or so later, after I left,  the whole thing was declared a failure and they reverted back to 3 separate schools ;D

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #10769 on: March 13, 2012, 08:10:53 am »

How are you today?

Why is that gif there, you ask?  Because today it's raining in NJ, so I did a Photobucket search on "Rainstorm gif" and he appeared.

The only thing I can think of is that he's doing a raindance of some sort and therefore, he shows up on that search.

:laugh:

It sounds like a case of 8 chiefs and 3 Indians.   My last permanent position was at a school where they decided to combine 3 schools into one college with 3 campuses. After several years of meetings it was formed with 3 campus principals and 1 college principal. They sat round meeting and discussing all day over cups of tea and coffee while the rest of us ran the college. The college principal drove around the campuses each day so took the inter-campus mail with him so I referred to him as the most highly paid postman in the country. A year or so later, after I left,  the whole thing was declared a failure and they reverted back to 3 separate schools ;D

My God Brian!!!  That sounds like quite a wreck!  Loved your title for the college principal.  LOL  Sometimes I wonder who makes these decisions.....

Anyway.....today I feel a whole lot better than I did yesterday.  Yesterday, my butt was draggin'!  I find it hard to believe that the time change could affect me that way, but that's the only thing I can come up with.  I had no fever, headache, sore throat, or anything like that, but I was completely run down.   Last night instead of staying up to my usual time of 10:00, I went to bed at 8:30.  I slept straight through to the morning and today I'm feeling great.

Strange that the time difference would do this.....I spoke to a few friends who said the same thing, they felt completely run down yesterday.