Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 9048153 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #11730 on: March 31, 2013, 12:04:35 pm »

Hiya BetterMost friends.

Today will be a quiet day at my house, as my niece has to work today, so we had Easter celebration yesterday.

As typical in an Italian family, there is always something that occurs that takes the spotlight from the holiday and puts it somewhere else....someone comes out....a family fued.....someone gets sick.....the evil eye gets used ( :laugh: ) and our little celebration had our "something" as well, as my niece confirmed that she is pregnant.

There are some mixed emotions about this.  She's young (early 20s) and she and her boyfriend don't have any intentions of getting married.  They both work at a supermarket part-time, and living together rent-free in a property owned by his parents.  They definitely dont' make enough money on their own for a baby, so it's been decided that they will move in in my brother and sister-in-law for help.

I am happy for mom & dad, who missed being 'grandparents'.....my brother married my sister-in-law when my niece was 13, so we never knew her as a baby.  I don't plan to adopt and my other brother is single and plans to stay that way.   Now, they get to skip right to being great-grandparents!  I get to be a great-uncle!

;D

Oh, btw, anyone who is friends with me on Facebook, DO NOT mention this on my page.  LOL  As far as I know, my niece hasn't made any announcements yet, and since we share family as mutual friends, I don't want anyone finding out about this until she has the opportunity to announce it herself.

How come you eat fish on Good Friday?

When I was a kid, you were supposed to fast on Good Friday (also on Ash Wednesday), and eat fish on the Fridays during Lent.   I guess the fasting rules have been loosened. 

Here's an interesting article on the subject:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2012/04/05/150061991/lust-lies-and-empire-the-fishy-tale-behind-eating-fish-on-friday

Paul, thanks for the link, it was very interesting reading.  I had also heard the "pope and the fishing market" story, and wondered if a pope would actually have that type of influence.  I may be wrong, but I believe there are Catholics who won't eat meat on any Fridays, whehter it's Lent or not.

As an Anglican (Episcopalian) I do not eat meat on Ash Wednesday or Good Friday. It use to be that fish was cheaper and money could be given to the poor but last Friday I had smoked salmon for dinner which was not cheaper. It just helps to remember how special these days are. I absolutely refuse to have hot cross buns before Good Friday. Even when still working and they were offered the day before I would not touch them. I buy half a dozen each year and have 2 for breakfast then 2 for morning tea (the final 2 on Saturday morning) . I then went to the the 3 hour service in the cathedral which lasted from 12 to 3 so sort of fasted from 11 to nearly 4 when I had a banana  ;) then the smoked salmon for dinner. In NZ all shops and businesses are closed except petrol stations, restaurants and small family corner stores called dairies. In Dunedin there is no public transport but a heritage bus group run a few vintage buses on 2 routes across the city.

I have now risen at 5am on Easter Day and will be in church at 6 for the Easter Vigil. That will be followed by breakfast in the church hall then Eucharist. It will be such a different Eucharist to Thursday night which was very solemn and at the end we stripped the church of all the ornaments then left without talking. Some stayed another hour praying in the darkened church. In my church in Sydney they had rosters to pray in the church throughout the night. To me Easter is far more important than Christmas.

Hello Brian,  I remember going to Catholic school, and the nuns also told us that Easter was more important than Christmas, as Easter was when Jesus rose from the dead, and proved he was the son of God.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #11731 on: March 31, 2013, 03:59:49 pm »

As typical in an Italian family, there is always something that occurs that takes the spotlight from the holiday and puts it somewhere else....someone comes out....a family fued.....someone gets sick.....the evil eye gets used ( :laugh: ) and our little celebration had our "something" as well, as my niece confirmed that she is pregnant.

Chuck, all this sounds very much like a typical Jewish family.
Are you sure y'all are Italian and not Jewish??  ::) ;D

Other than that: congrats on your soon-to-be great-unclehood!!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #11732 on: March 31, 2013, 06:18:12 pm »
Chuck, all this sounds very much like a typical Jewish family.
Are you sure y'all are Italian and not Jewish??  ::) ;D

Other than that: congrats on your soon-to-be great-unclehood!!

I'm very sure!   :laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #11733 on: April 01, 2013, 08:56:38 am »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

that pic is EXACTLY how I feel today.   :laugh:

I didn't sleep well last night, and I don't know why.  It wasn't nightmares or anything like that, I just kept waking up, rolling over, going back to sleep, waking up, rolling over, going back to sleep.

Oh well! 

Season finale of Walking Dead was last night, a little anti-climactic, if you ask me.  No new zombies until October.

Offline ZK

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11734 on: April 02, 2013, 12:41:25 am »
Hey Chuck

Congratulations on being a great uncle - thats real cool. As to families well they aren't really families unless there is something happening with someone. My mum only used to eat fish on fridays, I try to be good these days on Good Friday. This year was a bit of an exception, as I wasn't at home and the only places I could find open were takeaways, and I could not face a plate of fish n chips (fush n chups) so I opted for a turkish kebab without all the fillings, though I did finish it off with a baklava cake.

Hope the week is better buddy

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #11735 on: April 02, 2013, 09:44:39 am »
I'm very sure!   :laugh:

Hmm......it could be that Cellardwellar is short for Cellardwellarovsky.....   8)

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #11736 on: April 02, 2013, 01:23:41 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

Yup, it's a tad cold today!  Actually, it isn't as bad as it has been, but there is a strong breeze blowing, making it feel much colder than it is.

I slept better last night than I did Monday night, so I'm feeling more awake.  Let's hope that translates to a good bowling night tonight!

Hmm......it could be that Cellardwellar is short for Cellardwellarovsky.....   8)

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!

:laugh:

Congratulations on being a great uncle - thats real cool. As to families well they aren't really families unless there is something happening with someone. My mum only used to eat fish on fridays, I try to be good these days on Good Friday. This year was a bit of an exception, as I wasn't at home and the only places I could find open were takeaways, and I could not face a plate of fish n chips (fush n chups) so I opted for a turkish kebab without all the fillings, though I did finish it off with a baklava cake.

Hope the week is better buddy

:o :o  *rubs eyes*   Is that Matthew?  Holy crap!  It is Matthew!   Yaow Matthew!

OH, and you stopped by my blog on just the right day!

*chases after Matthew*

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #11737 on: April 03, 2013, 07:54:30 am »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

Gotta love "Big Gay Al!"  Is he still on South Park, or did they kill him off somehow?   :laugh:  I haven't watched that show in years.

In my cube at work, tired as hell!  Late nights bowling and early rising just don't mix!

Of course, that also means little time to catch up in the mornings, so I'm rushing through forums now to see what's going on!  LOL  Hope everyone is doing well! 

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #11738 on: April 04, 2013, 07:59:43 am »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Well, I don't have a Twitter account, so I can't "tweet" about anything.  I do have a very busy weekend coming up, so no rest for the weary!   Friday night is a friend's bday party.  Saturday I'll be at a show in Yonkers, a friend from out of town is performing.  Sunday is a christening that I'm attending.

I think I'll be catching cat naps when I can!  LOL

Anyone else have good plans for the weekend?

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11739 on: April 04, 2013, 12:36:23 pm »
I actually feel the same way for once. I am up early, 5am  getting ready for my last trip of the season on the Taieri Gorge Railway as we meet the last cruise ship of the season, Oosterdam. There was a slight frost yesterday, first of autumn.
I need to be at the station at 7am and we will load our passengers at the wharf about 8.30am. All going well I will be home by 4pm but have to be back in the city at 6.30pm for NZ Symphony Orchestra concert.
Tomorrow afternoon there is Gay Pride in the city centre. It is the first in (I think) 8 years. Not sure what it will be like. There is a party in the evening but it clashes with a concert by Paul Simon (Simon & Garfunkel) at our stadium to which I have a ticket.
It is now just 2 weeks until I leave on my 8 week tour of Europe (Vienna, Slovenia, Croatia, Italy, Paris and Switzerland this time). Yesterday I was hassling with online tickets to concerts in Rome, Florence and Paris. I already have tickets to 3 operas and the Vienna Boys choir in Vienna.