Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8993075 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #13050 on: June 12, 2014, 05:56:04 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

Tomorrow is Friday the 13th, and a full moon!

I'm posting some good luck charms for you all!  :laugh:

No, I don't believe they actually work, but hey, let's get into the spirit of the day.

;D

Got a bunch of stuff accomplished at work, I am almost up to speed at work.   ;D 

Not sure what is going on for the weekend.  I wasn't told what is happening this weekend regarding Father's Day.  Not sure if we're celebrating on Saturday or Sunday.  Whatever.  LOL  I have my card and gift, and I'm ready.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #13051 on: June 13, 2014, 12:50:21 am »
I wasn't told what is happening this weekend regarding Father's Day. 

When do you celebrate Father's Day? I know, this weekend, you just said it. I mean how is it set every year? Is it correlated with some other date (like always the weekend after Pentecost, etc)?

Father's Day here is on Ascension Day, thus always a Thursday. Cards and presents are unusual, but men (in general, not only fathers) tend to rot together and go out on day trips filled with convivial drinking.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #13052 on: June 13, 2014, 08:36:51 am »

When do you celebrate Father's Day? I know, this weekend, you just said it. I mean how is it set every year? Is it correlated with some other date (like always the weekend after Pentecost, etc)?

Father's Day here is on Ascension Day, thus always a Thursday. Cards and presents are unusual, but men (in general, not only fathers) tend to rot together and go out on day trips filled with convivial drinking.

Strange customs you have there in Germany.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #13053 on: June 13, 2014, 09:24:17 am »

Father's Day is always the third Sunday in June, just as Mother's Day is always the second Sunday in May. I have no idea how those dates got picked. I suppose I could do a Google search for Father's Day and Mother's Day.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #13054 on: June 13, 2014, 09:23:07 pm »

Hiya BetterMost friends.

So, did everyone stay safe and sound today?

Work was busy, and some crazy things happened regarding phones and such.  A few missed messages.  I know it was just a coincidence, but I laughed to myself and thought "Mercury's in retrograde!"

:laugh:

Got done what I needed to accomplish today, and then came home tonight to give the apartment the cleaning it needed.  Everything looks nice!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #13055 on: June 13, 2014, 09:27:54 pm »

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #13056 on: June 13, 2014, 09:53:47 pm »
Father's Day is always the third Sunday in June, just as Mother's Day is always the second Sunday in May. I have no idea how those dates got picked. I suppose I could do a Google search for Father's Day and Mother's Day.

The modern American holiday of Mother's Day was first celebrated in 1908, when Anna Jarvis held a memorial for her mother in Grafton, West Virginia. Her campaign to make "Mother's Day" a recognized holiday in the United States began in 1905, the year her beloved mother, Ann Reeves Jarvis, died. Anna’s mission was to honor her own mother by continuing work she had started and to set aside a day to honor mothers, "the person who has done more for you than anyone in the world." Anna's mother, Ann Jarvis, was a peace activist who had cared for wounded soldiers on both sides of the Civil War and created Mother’s Day Work Clubs to address public health issues.

Due to the campaign efforts of Anna Jarvis, several states officially recognized Mother's Day, the first in 1910 being West Virginia, Jarvis’ home state. In 1914 Woodrow Wilson signed the proclamation creating Mother’s Day, the second Sunday in May, as a national holiday to honor mothers. In a thank-you note to Wilson, Jarvis wrote of a “great Home Day of our country for sons and daughters to honor their mothers and fathers and homes in a way that will perpetuate family ties and give emphasis to true home life.”   Jarvis became critical, however, of the commercialization of the day.

Father's Day was inaugurated in the United States in the early 20th century to complement Mother's Day in celebrating fatherhood and male parenting.

After the success obtained by Anna Jarvis with the promotion of Mother's Day in the US, some[who?] wanted to create similar holidays for other family members, and Father's Day was the choice most likely to succeed.[citation needed] There were other persons in the US who independently thought of "Father's Day", but the credit for the modern holiday is often given to Sonora Dodd, who was the driving force behind its establishment.]

Father's Day was founded in Spokane, Washington at the YMCA in 1910 by Sonora Smart Dodd, who was born in Arkansas. Its first celebration was in the Spokane YMCA on June 19, 1910. Her father, the Civil War veteran William Jackson Smart, was a single parent who raised his six children there. After hearing a sermon about Jarvis' Mother's Day in 1909, she told her pastor that fathers should have a similar holiday honoring them. Although she initially suggested June 5, her father's birthday, the pastors did not have enough time to prepare their sermons, and the celebration was deferred to the third Sunday of June.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #13057 on: June 14, 2014, 02:57:26 am »
Father's Day is always the third Sunday in June, just as Mother's Day is always the second Sunday in May.

Although she initially suggested June 5, her father's birthday, the pastors did not have enough time to prepare their sermons, and the celebration was deferred to the third Sunday of June.

Ah, thanks to both of you. That's what I was curious about.
Personally, I think Father's Day should be celebrated the moment the majority of fathers pulls half the weight.

;D :laugh: Yes, we do. Just try to understand the fine print, let alone the social pressure, of the Kehrwoche! :o ::)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kehrwoche

Pretty accurate, sans the females of course.  ;D ;)

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #13058 on: June 14, 2014, 07:52:19 am »

Personally, I think Father's Day should be celebrated the moment the majority of fathers pulls half the weight.

That's a really wonderful idea, Chrissi.

Means we can all look forward to some great celebrations soon in.....uhm.....err.....ten years.... 50 years....er.... 100 years...eh...maybe....1000 years.... ah, well, nevermind   ::)

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #13059 on: June 14, 2014, 09:19:28 pm »

Hiya BetterMost friends.

Evening everyone!

We'll be celebrating Father's Day tomorrow, and I cleaned the apartment last night, so today I was able to have a 'free day'.  After doing the Valerie Fund walk with family today, I cam home, had lunch, took a nap, and then spent time watching Charmed.  I have all 8 seasons, and I haven't seen the show in a while, so I decided to pull the DVDs out, blow off the dust and start viewing again.  Anytime that there's nothing on TV, I pop out the DVD.

I started about a month or so ago, from episode one, and I finished season one today.  I also saw the first two episodes of season 2.

We're meeting for lunch tomorrow at about 1:00.  I have all my cards ready, so I'm good to go!