Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2604365 times)

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
"Q" is Qué lindo Cha Cha Cha (1955)
« Reply #3000 on: March 10, 2008, 05:11:46 pm »
What a Lovely Cha Cha Cha (USA)

Next:  "R" in 6

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"R" is Romy and Michele's High School Reunion (1997)
« Reply #3001 on: March 10, 2008, 05:25:49 pm »

Next: "S" in 7

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
"S" is Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (1984)
« Reply #3002 on: March 10, 2008, 05:29:41 pm »

Directed by Leonard Nimoy.

Next:  "T" in 8

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"T" is Things To Do In Denver When You're Dead (1995)
« Reply #3003 on: March 10, 2008, 05:33:23 pm »

Next: U in 9
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"U" is Unborn in the USA: Inside the War on Abortion (2007)
« Reply #3004 on: March 10, 2008, 05:59:12 pm »
Excerpt From IndieWire (http://www.indiewire.com/people/2007/06/indiewire_inter_79.html):

Directors Stephen Fell and Will Thompson's documentary is a revealing and provocative look into the deep secrets and deep pockets of the pro-life movement, "Unborn in the USA: Inside the War on Abortion" weaves a story from more than 70 exclusive interviews with pro-life activists and seldom-seen archival footage to document one of the most controversial social movements in American history. The duo gained unprecedented access to pro-life groups, movement icons, fundraising machines, and even university students being specially groomed to carry the pro-life message for college credit, traveling across 35 states to bring this eye-opening and often startling story.

Next:  V in 10

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"V" is Valentin (2002)
« Reply #3005 on: March 11, 2008, 08:39:12 am »

Next:  "W" in 2.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"W" is Westward Ho (1935)
« Reply #3006 on: March 11, 2008, 08:47:56 am »
An early John Wayne western; the first movie made by Republic Studios.

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Wildcard "X" is The Son's Room (2001)
« Reply #3007 on: March 11, 2008, 09:23:53 am »
One of my all time favourite films!  Subtle, intelligent and beautifully affecting!

From IMDb:
True, real emotion- Nanni Moretti's deserved winner of the Palme D'Or was a controversial choice, if only because it is a film grounded in reality and truth. We know these characters for a change, they are the neighbours whom we fear approach because of their loss and raw pain.

Moretti, in his subtle yet magnificent performance and in his deft, assured direction, has crafted a film which transcends cliche and sentimentality in spite of its well trodden subject matter. As in his earlier effort, 'Caro Diario' the viewer is held transfixed by his languid cinematic storytelling, which is nonetheless riveting.

Without resorting to pat endings or easy solutions to the characters' individual suffering (beautifully rendered by each of the performers, whose roles portray distinct yet relevant facets of grief) the film manages a redemption in unexpected, yet highly satisfying, fashion. I left the screening at the Toronto International Film Festival feeling completely exhilarated and grateful to this natural filmmaker.

A beautiful portrait of true, real emotion

Next:  Y in 4

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"Y" is Your Friends and Neighbors (1998)
« Reply #3008 on: March 11, 2008, 10:24:33 am »

Next: "Z" in 5

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"Z" is Zach & Avery of Fergus (2004)
« Reply #3009 on: March 11, 2008, 10:38:17 am »
An independent Canadian film.

From IMDb:

I thought this movie was pretty decent for what was apparently such a low-budget independent effort. The director, Sean Devlin, obviously has a pretty good eye, and a lot of the film is rather beautiful, poetic even. Unfortunately, the character development is rather rushed, and I wasn't left with the sweet feeling inside that the final shot perhaps suggested I should have had. This movie could have been really good ... had it not been for that damned guy who starred as Avery. He was absolutely horrible, an over actor of the greatest degree. He belongs in perhaps an attack of the giant sasquatch type film, where his mugging, and overacting would be better suited. Other than having him spoil many scenes for me, the movie was surprisingly good. I hope Devlin makes more.