Author Topic: Anne Hathaway's Gay Brother  (Read 16229 times)

Offline YaadPyar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Anne Hathaway's Gay Brother
« on: June 19, 2006, 08:00:09 am »
Anne Hathaway is on the cover of JANE Magazine this month to promite her upcoming movie "The Devil Wears Prada."  The following excerpt about her gay brother is interesting:

THE PRINCESS DIARIES star ANNE HATHAWAY was convinced she was going to be a nun after she got a "calling from God" when she was 11-years-old. The actress grew up in a religious family and thought serving God was her destiny. She explains, "I was raised Catholic. When I was 11, I felt like I got a calling from God to be a nun. "But when I was about 15, I realised my older brother was gay, and I couldn't support a religion that didn't support my brother. "Now I call myself a nondenominational Christian, because I haven't found the religion for me."

www.janemag.com
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

gattaca

Re: Anne Hathaway's Gay Brother
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 08:26:14 am »
I have been taking a dim view recently of most organized religions.

Fundamental Christianity in the US with its intolerant stance (see Jimmy Fallon and "Jesus Horses" if you want the lighter side).
Islam (or radical Islam) - I lived in Malaysia and I read the Qu'ran cover to cover. It's full of fire and brimstone just like the bilblical Old Testament - but does not advocate the systematic destruction of entire races of people.
Five-point Calvinists (Fred Phelps and his ilk; the "God Hates Fags" club)

I have a good friend who is immersed in rabbinical studies in Iowa - Akiva David - we have conversations about the state of organized religion today. He is appalled at the darkness which is being spread by these religions which claim to be keepers of the light.

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 01:59:46 pm »
The awfullness perpetuated in the name of G*d is truly appalling.  The notion that what sustains the human spirit is in any way aligned with hatred, violence, anger, force, and the generally destructive qualities of humanity has just got to be false.

Love and peace and joy and understanding are incompatible in every way with that kind of darkness. 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 02:02:18 pm by YaadPyar »
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 07:08:06 pm »
I have been taking a dim view recently of most organized religions.

Fundamental Christianity in the US with its intolerant stance (see Jimmy Fallon and "Jesus Horses" if you want the lighter side).
Islam (or radical Islam) - I lived in Malaysia and I read the Qu'ran cover to cover. It's full of fire and brimstone just like the bilblical Old Testament - but does not advocate the systematic destruction of entire races of people.
Five-point Calvinists (Fred Phelps and his ilk; the "God Hates Fags" club)

I have a good friend who is immersed in rabbinical studies in Iowa - Akiva David - we have conversations about the state of organized religion today. He is appalled at the darkness which is being spread by these religions which claim to be keepers of the light.

even such a peaceful and moderate religion like Buddhism, under "organized" leaders can become quite fanatic and fundamentalistic. I saw some of it in Thailand as I was there as a child. I remember the temple being part of organization to "stamp" out Communists in Thailand, code for Vietnamese and Cambodians. I didn't understand as a child, but now that it all clicks, it makes me sad to remember how hateful that was.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 07:29:07 pm »
I remember the old days back on IMDB when we used to fight trollish "God hates Gays" comments.
I have left all of that behind me, but I still remember a few nutcases :
One lady was peeved that her son's teacher was gay, in fact, she was willing to remove her son from the school and sue the school if he was not fired.  Why?  Because he would indoctrinate the kids with his 'queer ways'.. ::)

Another one had a sister who lived in the UK and she claimed very proudly that she disowened her sister - why?  Because she moved there to live, in a place where morals are loose and queers are everywhere ...
Well, she was nuts anyway .. :)  I think I heard everything on IMDB!  There are some pretty messed up people out there.. :-\

I am a Catholic, and I am disgusted by the way the church is handling homosexuality.
Priests who are gay (and are brave enough to come out), are pretty much silenced or worse, excommunicated.
Where is the love?   ???

A program I saw few weeks ago..
http://www.visiontv.ca/FLV/current_affairs_360_Oct20.html
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 07:30:46 pm by Lucise »

Offline Garry_LH

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 11:33:29 am »
I wont go back into the Xian nut cases. I've lived it, I barely survived it, and I'm now on my own path. Just one more seeker searching to nourish the light in this world. I take from those spiritual paths what works for me, and I leave the rest.

You know, I'm beginning to wonder if everyone involved with Brokeback Mountain has a gay relative. Heath has an Uncle. Jake has family friends, & who knows. Larry McMurtry mentioned how proud he is of two of his grandson's, when they accepted their Oscar. The other's, I haven't heard about.

The more I find out, the more I believe Brokeback Mountain was the will of Spirit. This story, that Annie Pourlx has said at times it felt like a hand from above was guiding her as she wrote of Jack and Ennis, had to wait till the right director, actors, and promoters, that could be brought together at just the right moment to bring forth this story with the power to effect so many lives. Brokeback Mountain is here to awaken those of us that were desperately waiting for something we didn't even know we were missing. It is a blessing I will honor in my own life, for the rest of my life.

It could be like this, just like this... always.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2006, 09:09:32 pm »
It's nice and brave that Anne was so candid in sharing her thoughts about her brother and his sexuality and how that influenced her own religious choices.

I've seen a criticism more than once along the lines that 'No one involved in making Brokeback Mountain was gay so how could they possibly realistically portray....' etc...Interestingly, this is usually a critiscism offered by a gay person.

But it's another one of those criticisms that just doesn't hold water in my book.  Because hundreds of people were involved in the Brokeback Mountain production, obviously, and I doubt they've all completed some sexual orientation questionaire that is in the public domain.  Add to that, not every gay person is 'out' publicly due to the state of the world today.  Pretty much anyone who isn't living in a box knows gay people.  And if they're at all sensitive, they have some idea of what life is like for a gay person, at least in an indirect way. 

Just some random ideas,
Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2006, 07:54:13 pm »
 "The more I find out, the more I believe Brokeback Mountain was the will of Spirit. This story, that Annie Pourlx has said at times it felt like a hand from above was guiding her as she wrote of Jack and Ennis, had to wait till the right director, actors, and promoters, that could be brought together at just the right moment to bring forth this story with the power to effect so many lives. Brokeback Mountain is here to awaken those of us that were desperately waiting for something we didn't even know we were missing. It is a blessing I will honor..."

I believe you are right friend, I honor it as well.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline JT

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 01:20:45 pm »
I agree with shakestheground that this movie was special.  Very well said.  If you remember, the screen play was pushed around in the industry for years before it was finally made into this great movie. 

Now, I don't even know if there were any better actors, director, producer, etc. to do this movie.  I thought it was just right regardless of the sexual orientation of all that were involved.  If a few gays don't like the fact that everyone involve in this movie were straight (I doubt that's true), that's like saying gay actors should not be involve in anything straight.  Its just limit people's abilities to do anything.  Being gay myself, I can't tell you how proud I am of all the people who came together to make this wonderful movie.

As for Anne Hathaway's brother, I read from an HRC news letter that he was going to get married to his partner and Anne herself will be the "brides maid".

moremojo

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2006, 05:31:11 pm »

I've seen a criticism more than once along the lines that 'No one involved in making Brokeback Mountain was gay so how could they possibly realistically portray....' etc...Interestingly, this is usually a critiscism offered by a gay person.
It's worth remembering that Rufus Wainwright, the writer and performer of the song "Maker Makes", is openly gay.

As a gay man who avidly admires film as an artistic medium, I can say that I have never experienced a gay-themed film with the same degree of nuance, passion, and emotional power that distinguishes Brokeback Mountain. What does it matter what the sexual identities of the various people responsible for the film may be? They created a lasting work of art that speaks directly to the hearts of human beings, including but not limited to gay men.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 07:55:32 pm by moremojo »