Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3126172 times)

Offline neatfreak

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #1350 on: July 14, 2006, 07:52:07 am »
I love hearing the insights that you and your readers have, Louise. It really adds to the experience of reading the Laramie Saga.

I was listening to Pat Metheny's "Spiritual" last night; it is a wonderfully sensual piece that Annie Proulx listenened to over and over as she struggled to write the paragraph about the dozy embrace in the original story. Made me start thinking about our boys and how I would love to read your description of Ellery getting Ennis to dance, a real slooooooow and romantic interlude that lasts just about forever and leads to.. well, you take it from there. What a great way to celebrate their newfound commitment.

I know it's been done in other fics, but not with our Ellery. Whaddaya think, Louise?

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1351 on: July 14, 2006, 07:52:24 am »
Ennis:"Now you keep your slop bucket mouth shut.  If anyones gonna be buttering my mans buns it's gonna be Mr.Coyote!"

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1352 on: July 14, 2006, 07:59:13 am »
Looking at that picture makes me think, David...that trailer was such a dump, and now we have Ennis cleaning, vacuuming, making the bed. Was he really Mr. Neat and Tidy beforehand? And with Alma, it sure didn't look like he did much (yes, he was working all the time, I'll grant you that). That's the way I wrote "my" Ennis, actually, and he admits it. But then he and Jack sort of fall into their roles and Ennis cleans while Jack cooks.

I guess, re: the trailer and now...we can just say that Ennis was depressed, then, and now he is happy. Thus the change. And, he did fold up Alma's sweater and put it away. Maybe he really is Mr. Neat and Tidy, it was just that that ugly trailer was more than he could cope with, given his frame of mind.

Yeah, that works.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #1353 on: July 14, 2006, 08:15:50 am »
ah hah, once again I caught you Leslie.

My Ennis is story Ennis, remember?  If you can point out anywhere in Annie's story that said Ennis was sloppy you go ahead.  I'm not responsible for all of the film's assumptions!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Bigheart

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1354 on: July 14, 2006, 08:26:53 am »
<wakes up, rubs eyes>  YAWN!  <rolls over to the right> "G'morning Ennis".

<rolls over to the left> "G'moring Ellery".

<bedroom door opens>   

"Ah, here comes Dupree with our breakfast".

Dupree:"Burnt Biscuits and hot butter.  Now who wants me to butter their buns first?"

;)
Heeeee!! This is so funny!
You wish..... ;D

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1355 on: July 14, 2006, 08:29:09 am »
ah hah, once again I caught you Leslie.

My Ennis is story Ennis, remember?  If you can point out anywhere in Annie's story that said Ennis was sloppy you go ahead.  I'm not responsible for all of the film's assumptions!

You'll fight me on this, I know, "The stale coffee is boiling up....he pours it into a stained cup..."

It is in the prologue paragraph that is in the book, the paragraph that is not in the New Yorker and I know you use the New Yorker version as canon. However, supposedly Annie wrote it with that paragraph and the New Yorker editors took it out. She wanted it in, which is why it is in the book.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Bigheart

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1356 on: July 14, 2006, 08:30:01 am »
Leslie - your avatar is gorgeous!  :)

Helen

« Reply #1357 on: July 14, 2006, 08:50:32 am »
I think Ennis was Mr Neat and Tidy.  Rewind to his time up on Brokeback with Jack....he fussed over the tent, he always made sure he cleaned up after meals.

Personally I think that for most of the rest of the time he was depressed.  Depressed folks don't give a fuck about pissing in the sink or drinking old coffee from stained cups.  I remember the scene where Alma tries to persuade him to go to the church social.  He doesn't want to go, but neither is he enjoying what he is doing...just lying on the sofa, drinking and mindlessly watching TV.

I also think that his natural inclination is towards being tidy, but as a man of his time he just wouldn't think of it when he was married to Alma.  Those were her duties.

Up on the mountain with Jack is where we see the real Ennis.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1358 on: July 14, 2006, 09:00:37 am »
Leslie - your avatar is gorgeous!  :)

Thanks, June.

I don't change it very often. This one has some significance for me.

Leslie

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1359 on: July 14, 2006, 09:02:18 am »
I think Ennis was Mr Neat and Tidy.  Rewind to his time up on Brokeback with Jack....he fussed over the tent, he always made sure he cleaned up after meals.

Personally I think that for most of the rest of the time he was depressed.  Depressed folks don't give a fuck about pissing in the sink or drinking old coffee from stained cups.  I remember the scene where Alma tries to persuade him to go to the church social.  He doesn't want to go, but neither is he enjoying what he is doing...just lying on the sofa, drinking and mindlessly watching TV.

I also think that his natural inclination is towards being tidy, but as a man of his time he just wouldn't think of it when he was married to Alma.  Those were her duties.

Up on the mountain with Jack is where we see the real Ennis.

Works for me, Helen. Very good points, well taken.

Leslie