Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3109112 times)

Offline scudder

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #970 on: July 10, 2006, 11:39:04 am »
We are seeing Ennis and Ellery,  in the process of loving each other,  develop a deep trust in each other, having confidence in the honesty, integrity, and reliability of the other, and Chapter 71, NEED, beautifully brings this out.

Offline pastorfred

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • retired, free-lance, non-denominational pastor
    • spirituality handbook
« Reply #971 on: July 10, 2006, 12:04:42 pm »
We are seeing Ennis and Ellery,  in the process of loving each other,  develop a deep trust in each other, having confidence in the honesty, integrity, and reliability of the other, and Chapter 71, NEED, beautifully brings this out.

Well said! That's exactly how I feel.

I love observing how Ennis and Ellery each bring out the best in the other.

Chapter 71 is a masterpiece among masterpieces, isn't it?
Peace be with y'all,
Fred

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #972 on: July 10, 2006, 01:04:05 pm »
egad, Fred, you're making me blush.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #973 on: July 10, 2006, 01:24:37 pm »
Update to "A Second Chance"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/69574.html  "Chapter 73:  The Corrupt"
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #974 on: July 10, 2006, 01:43:34 pm »
SPOILER  /  Chapter 73
 Thank goodness that went short and sweet!   E&E don't need anymore drama than they already have on their plate!   

Why do I keep picturing Edna looking like Betty White?   LOL.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #975 on: July 10, 2006, 01:45:48 pm »
hee hee I don't know, David, you know something I don't know?  Is Edna being too nosy?

More chapters on the way when I stop getting interrupted!

Offline gn411

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #976 on: July 10, 2006, 01:56:53 pm »
Agree with David,  Betty White

NO!  Edna is not too nosy.  I was thinking that she and Wes are not nosy enough. They have alot invested in Ellery emotionally.  I don't see her being the typical jewish mother, but yea the chicken soup thing is there.  She is not just a prop who sends food home for the guys. She has alot of time on her hands at the ranch.  And if they (Wes and Edna) have known Ellery for awhile than yea, she would easly fuss over Ellery, and he is probably very used to it, and rolls his eyes like all kids do when there tolerance is exhausted.  They probably spent Christmas together, birthdays, and in some way have their own dialog, like kids and parents do. 

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #977 on: July 10, 2006, 02:01:13 pm »
Agree with David,  Betty White

NO!  Edna is not too nosy.  I was thinking that she and Wes are not nosy enough. They have alot invested in Ellery emotionally.  I don't see her being the typical jewish mother, but yea the chicken soup thing is there.  She is not just a prop who sends food home for the guys. She has alot of time on her hands at the ranch.  And if they (Wes and Edna) have known Ellery for awhile than yea, she would easly fuss over Ellery, and he is probably very used to it, and rolls his eyes like all kids do when there tolerance is exhausted.  They probably spent Christmas together, birthdays, and in some way have their own dialog, like kids and parents do. 

I can definitely see that with Wes and Ellery, we've had fewer conversations between Edna and Ellery (in the story, at least). I actually see Edna being very much the mother Ennis never had and given he is at the ranch every day and probably eating lunch with her, they may be becoming very close.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline gn411

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #978 on: July 10, 2006, 02:12:06 pm »
Agree, I could see her making lunch for the guys, and asking taking a napkin and wiping the corners of Ennis's mouth.  And Ennis liking it too!. 

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #979 on: July 10, 2006, 02:20:40 pm »
Agree, I could see her making lunch for the guys, and asking taking a napkin and wiping the corners of Ennis's mouth.  And Ennis liking it too!. 

Umm, I think that's a stretch....
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!