Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3108641 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #5760 on: October 21, 2006, 05:44:04 am »
Oh wow. I am sure none of you are surprised after yesterday's chapter that there was a 20 day record in traffic on the Laramie Saga website yesterday! Quite unusual for a Friday, too.

spoilers...!

I got a mailbox full of wonderful LJ comments and you guys I think understand my characters better than I do!  And got it exactly right - Ennis in his rush to a) go get his clothes and b) go punch Wayne - completely lost track of his obligation to unlock the handcuffs.  And Ellery, having spent a very frustrating several minutes trying to get the key to unlock himself, completely lost his temper and aimed it at the source of the interruption.    And there was a very very insightful comment about the tension between Ellery and Dupree due to Ellery's failure to understand or appreciate Dupree's "gay friendly" orientation, making Ellery disposed to being a lot less patient with Dupree than he was before he was confronted with it.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5761 on: October 21, 2006, 06:31:46 am »
I loved the title of the last chapter!! What a wonderful play on words!!

Spoilers..........

I am wondering HOW exactly Ennis is going to explain leaving Ellery cuffed---and how he is going to apologize for it.   I also think that is most of the reason Ellery unloaded on Dupree---I think all that worry/fright adrenaline of possibly getting caught literally with his pants down, and no way to be able to pull them up--got him going, and Dupree got what he would have given Ennis--considering Ennis told him he would never leave him trussed up again like that due to interuptions.   sex play like they are doing requires trust, and Ennis is not living up to his end of the bargain.  I would hate to see Ellery not want to play anymore cause he can't trust Ennis to stay there and take care of him first.

Dupree may have been wrong to come over after Ellery told him about the romantic moment--but I think Ellery being nasty was mostly left over fright response.   Hope he got it out of his system and will be able to talk about it without yelling too much at Ennis.

I agree with Ranchgal. Ennis has to realize that is dangerous to leave someone tied up to a bed naked, especially a police officer. He should at least leave the keys to the cuffs at reaching distance. IMO he has no excuse whatsoever for what he's done even if it wasn't on purpose. I'd be very mad at him too.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 06:34:11 am by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5762 on: October 21, 2006, 08:19:45 am »
Update to "The Red Stallion"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/137899.html  "Chapter 48:  A Couple of Favors"
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline magicmountain

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Fire from heaven
« Reply #5763 on: October 21, 2006, 09:41:26 am »
Spoiler

I agree that Ennis was in the wrong to leave the room while Ellery was still shackled - especially since Ellery had asked him to promise never to do that the last time it happened. I think that Ellery's anxiety has to  do with feeling abandoned in a helpless state rather than fear that he would be intruded upon.

After all nobody is going to barge into a house and then uninvited open a closed bedroom door and walk in - especially with Ennis standing in the way!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 03:28:29 am by magicmountain »
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5764 on: October 21, 2006, 09:42:45 am »
Update to "The Red Stallion"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/138183.html  "Chapter 49:  Lance"

yb

« Reply #5765 on: October 21, 2006, 10:12:10 am »
Spoiler

I really like these 2 chapters very much, having Ennis watched the tape is the best solution.  Now, I wonder if Ellery would tell Ennis Francine had seen Lance and Sergio in the apartment.

Offline Kazza

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5766 on: October 21, 2006, 10:54:13 am »
SPOILER

I really liked those chapters Louise. I was worried that Ellery was going to go ballistic at Ennis, but they seem to have resolved the trust issue relatively calmly. I don't think Ennis will let something like that happen again. I certainly hope not.

I like the way that you've brought the similarity of Ellery (physically portryed by Hugh Jackman) to Clint Eastwood into the story.  :)

So, is Ennis sitting traumatised at home after having to watch a tape of men that he knows having sex with each other? I mean, apart from the dodgy tape that Bill left behind he's not been exposed to anything of that nature before has he? I'm curious as to what his reaction was. Did he find it arousing, and did this make him feel guilty, or was he simply an unfazed observer?

Karen

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5767 on: October 21, 2006, 10:59:57 am »
good question Karen, as  always.

And as usual... I won't be answering that one!

Offline Kazza

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5768 on: October 21, 2006, 11:09:48 am »
 ;D

Ah, Louise I know that you won't. Everything that we need to know is contained within your updates.

I just can't help these questions that flit through my brain, and this is the only forum I have to express them. I have thought about accosting random strangers in the street and discussing the story arc with them, but I might end up in a bouncy room.

It just struck me on this particular occasion that this was something way out of Ennis range of experience, and he seemed to agree quite easily when Ellery asked him (out of love no doubt).

All will be revealed I'm sure.

Karen

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5769 on: October 21, 2006, 12:57:51 pm »
At the moment Ellery asked him to, Ennis was feeling quite eager to please!