Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3109052 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #5860 on: October 25, 2006, 05:17:02 pm »
and here we are!

Update to "The Red Stallion"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/140168.html  "Chapter 57:  The Pain Inside"
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline magicmountain

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Fire from heaven
« Reply #5861 on: October 25, 2006, 06:35:09 pm »
An Appreciation of Ellery

Ennis' darlin' charmin' man

Jack may have been Ennis’ soulmate but as we know for a whole range of reasons he and Ennis could never find a happy life together. While it may sound unromantic to say it, soulmates do not always make for the best partners on a daily basis. The feelings generated can be too unsettlingly intense or certain personality dynamics or life circumstances can simply militate against it. Soulmates can be emotionally exhausting! All these factors came into play with Jack and Ennis.

Ellery’s personality and life circumstances made all the difference. Here is an out and proud gay man with community standing and a powerful sponsor in the sheriff. He is settled with his own house and independent financial resources and most importantly does not have the baggage of wife and kids. In addition, Ellery has Jack’s loving personality and emotional maturity.

As well, Ellery is drop dead gorgeous and brings out new aspects of Ennis’ character – his domestic as well as his sexual prowess in terms of some interesting experimentation! His challenging personality also brings out Ennis’ playfulness as well as changed perspectives.

Ellery has the confidence to take command of Ennis which is just what Ennis needs. He has the resources and life circumstance to enable Ennis to feel safe. He enhances Ennis' self confidence and has done wonders for his self esteem.

Such a man is just what Ennis needed if he was ever going to get a life.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 03:31:28 am by magicmountain »
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #5862 on: October 26, 2006, 01:43:21 am »

Jack may have been Ennis’ soulmate but as we know for a whole range of reasons he and Ennis could never find a happy life together. While it may sound unromantic to say it, soulmates do not always make for the best partners on a daily basis. The feelings generated can be to unsettlingly intense or certain personality dynamics or life circumstances can simply militate against it. Soulmates can be emotionally exhausting! All these factors came into play with Jack and Ennis.

Ellery’s personality and life circumstances made all the difference. Here is and out and proud gay man with community standing and a powerful sponsor in the sheriff. He is settled with his own house and independent financial resources and most importantly does not have the baggage of wife and kids. In addition, Ellery has Jack’s loving personality and emotional maturity.

As well, Ellery is drop dead gorgeous and brings out new aspects of Ennis’ character – his domestic as well as his sexual prowess in terms of some interesting experimentation! His challenging personality also brings out Ennis’ playfulness as well as changed perspectives.

Ellery has the confidence to take command of Ennis which is just what Ennis needs. He has the resources and life circumstance to enable Ennis to feel safe. He enhances Ennis' self confidence and has done wonders for his self esteem.

Perfect.  :)

And an appreciation of Louise: this story was just what i needed as well!  :)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline christie wood

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #5863 on: October 26, 2006, 05:20:09 am »

Jack may have been Ennis’ soulmate but as we know for a whole range of reasons he and Ennis could never find a happy life together. While it may sound unromantic to say it, soulmates do not always make for the best partners on a daily basis. The feelings generated can be too unsettlingly intense or certain personality dynamics or life circumstances can simply militate against it. Soulmates can be emotionally exhausting! All these factors came into play with Jack and Ennis.

Ellery’s personality and life circumstances made all the difference. Here is an out and proud gay man with community standing and a powerful sponsor in the sheriff. He is settled with his own house and independent financial resources and most importantly does not have the baggage of wife and kids. In addition, Ellery has Jack’s loving personality and emotional maturity.

Oh magicmountain, that was just gorgeous.  Thank You.   :)

I agree with everything you said about Ellery.....I know we all go on about him, but he really is just the most amazing character, and I just marvel at Louise's ability to make him so human, so loving, so real. 

Offline christie wood

« Reply #5864 on: October 26, 2006, 05:23:12 am »
and here we are!

Update to "The Red Stallion"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/140168.html  "Chapter 57:  The Pain Inside"

Louise, that was just beautiful.  I loved the title.  And I love how Ellery treats Ennis, with such care and consideration, knowing how Ennis is feeling inside.  And his declaration of love was just lovely, very emotional and beautifully expressed.  I felt very emotional reading that.

Thank you Louise, for giving us that chapter after your busy day and I hope the interview went well.  :)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5865 on: October 26, 2006, 05:25:09 am »
thanks folks...

after the last two days I have had, it is heartwarming to get these wonderful mails.  And Jo:  you really light this board up with your wonderful poems, tributes, photos and etc!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Kazza

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5866 on: October 26, 2006, 07:40:52 am »
Louise, you know that all your work is appreciated around here. Hope life calms down a bit for you soon.

That is a rather splendid picture. I think I'd put up with the occasional bit of vandalism to wake up to that view.

SPOILER

Ennis still has some deep seated anxieties, but they are getting better. Once upon a time he would have bolted if confronted by something like this.

Loved that he had started to come round by the end of the conversation.

Bit slow at work here today (or maybe I'm a bit slow today) so I'm treating myself by starting to re-read LS from scratch.  ;D

Karen
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 09:10:52 am by Kazza »

Offline christie wood

« Reply #5867 on: October 26, 2006, 08:00:06 am »
Karen, you are right about Ennis' deep seated anxieties, but he's so lucky to have someone as wonderful as Ellery to hold his hand through his troubles.

God, I love that man.  Well, I love them both.

I plan to re-read through the whole of LS once it's finished.  Not that I'm wishing it to end or anything!  Nothing could be further from the truth.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #5868 on: October 26, 2006, 08:02:24 am »
SPOILERS

Mean things like the vandalism are bound to happen. Ennis will always encounter someone through the course of his life who would say something mean to him for being queer. It is the way it is, unfortunately. So, IMO he has to learn from Ellery to shrug it off and go on living. However, I have to say that Ennis is coming along very well. If this had happened a few months earlier he'd probably run away from Laramie to hide himself again in Riverton.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 08:22:53 am by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5869 on: October 26, 2006, 08:42:50 am »
It would be very hard for Ennis to bolt now... he has built his life more around his relationship, he is invested.  That doesn't keep the anxiety and the anger away... but the mere thought of the life he had once:  of waiting months and months to see the man he really loved, while struggling to even make a show of affection to the woman he committed himself to - convinces him that even with the homophobes around him, he is still better off.