Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3109145 times)

Offline pastorfred

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • retired, free-lance, non-denominational pastor
    • spirituality handbook
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #1600 on: July 16, 2006, 11:09:54 pm »
judyh-

Thanks for those beautifully expressed thoughts on Ennis and Jack and Ennis and Ellery. I'm so glad that they were posted over on that other site. I hope they will help others both there and here in understanding. They certainly have helped me.
Peace be with y'all,
Fred

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #1601 on: July 16, 2006, 11:17:45 pm »
Guys and gals, thanks for making this one of our busier threads here.  Please do me one favor though.  I like to maintain positive relationships and feelings towards all of the other Brokeback Mountain-related forums.  I know there may be differences in points of view and style on the different sites, but users can decide which they favor by spending the time at the sites they enjoy most.  I don't want to make anyone uncomfortable who enjoys this site and others, so let's keep it friendly.  Being united feels so much better than being divided.

Thanks!!!   :D
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • no way out but through
« Reply #1602 on: July 16, 2006, 11:20:50 pm »
You guys inspired me!  I took a special trip to the store to pick up some Ben and Jerry's... I just had a new flavor - Neapolitan Dynamite (I think).  It's Cherry Garcia and Chocolate Brownie side by side. It was delicious!

(My fave flavor - Chocolate Peanut Butter is at Baskin Robbins, and they were already closed for the night...)

I'm sure y'all are sick and tired of hearing my opinion today... but I think Ennis moving on, in part, says, I loved you Jack, thanks for teaching me to love, I'm sorry I didn't do better by you, but look at what you taught me about loving...  maybe that is just me being overly romantic.  (In general, I don't begrudge people happiness.)

I also think for Ennis, and for some like him (I include myself in that group), opening up to strangers (like he did at the opening of Taking Chances) may actually be easier than opening up to people you know and love.  They don't have a vision of who you are that you may risk ruining by revealing a 'secret.'  I know it has been much easier for me to talk about my Brokeback experience with online 'strangers' than with people I know in real life.  As nervous as he was about being at the bar in Laramie, he knew they all had one thing in common...
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #1603 on: July 16, 2006, 11:26:32 pm »
Okay, I went back and read Leslie's original comment...

Which prompted me to say one more thing - I think epiphanies (or whatever you choose to call life changing experiences) can happen to anyone, at any age, and I think there is no limit on the scale in terms of what can cause an epiphany (e.g. reading a particular slogan on a billboard vs. losing a loved one).
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #1604 on: July 17, 2006, 12:20:45 am »
I expect I'm going to hang out in both and try to stay out of the line of fire  ;)

My sincere apologies for making anyone feel like they were in the line of fire... certainly wasn't my intention.  (Was just trying to express my opinion, unpopular though it was.)  I am having a lot of fun discussing Ennis and Ellery here (thanks everyone!) - I hope you will too.

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #1605 on: July 17, 2006, 12:24:18 am »
That's it!
Let's have an ice-cream party...grab a cone everyone!!  ;D

Oh God!!!!!!!!! Yummy, I LOVE ICECREAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #1606 on: July 17, 2006, 12:27:11 am »

And just in case anybody didn't catch that hint, yes, I'm a Jack fan. I think there's lots of Jack in Louise's stuff and I think Jack gets treated with respect and love. That's only my opinion, and I've read plenty of comments from people of the opposite persuasion. I wouldn't know whether I'm in the minority or the majority, but I know that it is possible to ache for Jack and still like Ellery, to wish that Ennis had changed before Jack's death and still not reject out of hand the possibility that he could change after Jack's death. That may be just one more heartbreaking irony to add to all the heartbreak of BBM.

Judy
Judy, I'm with you on everything you've said here  :)
Thank you  :)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #1607 on: July 17, 2006, 03:59:57 am »
I would like to second what Phillip said.  I am a member of davecullen.com, and have done my best to follow the rules there and to be a positive participant.  I joined Bettermost due to the fact that there were fans and threads here I could participate in, and the ability to make individual threads for individual fics, that I find a very healthy and creative means of discussing the details of fan fics on BBM's theme.  I didn't come here to criticize other forums.

One of the things that is so wonderful about Bettermost is the philosophy of acceptance, tolerance, and friendliness that is vigorously maintained, and its stated purpose to help people go on and "finish the story" for themselves.  Discussion of various points of view in the portrayal of the main characters (canon, au, etc.) can be helpful to an extent but ultimately it boils down to readers selecting what they enjoy and relate to.

It is hard to be criticized and for people to say unpleasant things about a fic that has helped people to deal with grief, anger and sadness caused by BBM... but ultimately we have to move on from that, too.  And as soon as I get my butt in gear I will have some new chapters for you all to nibble on.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #1608 on: July 17, 2006, 04:41:02 am »
I am posting this commentary to critics and readers, both here and on davecullen.com in response to this weekend's discussion.

A few comments that were made about "the Laramie Saga" which may not be clear to those who haven't read it yet, is comprised of three novel length books, "Taking Chances", "Looking for Answers" and "A Second Chance" and will be extending to a fourth volume as soon as I finish "A Second Chance," which will be called "Shelter from the Storm", I would just like to clarify, for those who may be interested.

1) It is not a fic about Ennis picking up an open gay man in a leather bar.  It is about Ennis getting involved with a high ranking Sheriff's deputy who owns a bar.  They meet during the course of investigating a disturbance at the bar that Ennis accidentally gets sucked into.

2) Ellery (the O.C. love interest) is not an "openly gay law enforcement official living in Rural Wyoming."  The back story in "Taking Chances" reveals that Ellery's boss and the D.A., as well as selected veterans in the Sheriff's department, learned of his homosexuality when he was forcibly outed by his lover, who caused a disturbance in his office.  Due to the recent repeal of the Wyoming Sodomy law (1977) (the fic takes place in 1984) his status as a homosexual living with another man was found to be legal, and attempts to oust him from his job (he was a 12 year veteran by now) were unsuccessful, leading to the firing of those colleagues who refused to work with a "queer."  His status in "Taking Chances" is not "openly gay."  In addition, Ennis does not live openly with him when they move in together, but they use a "don't ask don't tell" policy with those around them, particularly on the job.  Ellery's way of answering people regarding questions of his homosexuality are that due to the sensitivity of his job it is a question he does not answer.

3) Laramie is not "rural Wyoming."  I picked Laramie in a very deliberate way, because at least as of 1998 (when Matthew Shepard was picked up and assaulted after meeting some men there), there was a gay bar in that city.  It is considered one of if not the most progressive spot in Wyoming (see the City of Laramie website) due to the liberalizing influence of the University of Wyoming.  The gay bar I created for this story is along the pattern of a liberal oasis in a liberal city, all loosely based on the actual facts of Laramie as this progressive oasis.  It is also not too terribly long a drive from Riverton, where Ennis had been living during his mourning period.

4) It has been said repeatedly that Ennis (and I summarize) picked up some guy at a gay bar and hopped into bed with him. That is not what happened in this story.  He spent nearly two full years in the grip of a black depression, which was ended when he received a gift from Jack's mother - a journal of brief entries and a letter addressed to Ennis, from Jack.  Reading some of the entries compelled him to begin research on homosexuality, and led him to find out that there was a "men's club" in Laramie, and he extended his research there.  At that point he was caught up in an investigation of an assault of a young queer living in secret with a man who beat him, and in the process of helping Ellery find out more about it, becomes involved sexually with him.

5) The references to their "hot gay duty-free sex", in my opinion, is not a fair or accurate summary of "Taking Chances."  The first 36,000 words of the book (more than a quarter of the text) take place before the relationship with Ellery actually begins. 

6) In terms of readership, I cannot say how many people are reading it, and how many no longer read who lost interest in it.  If Livejournal had a hit count I might know that.  I can tell you that I wouldn't be writing a 4th book in the series if there wasn't very high interest, however.  I wouldn't bother.

7) I also want to mention that slash fiction IS about sex fantasy.  If there were no sex or fantasy in it, it wouldn't be slash fiction.  To this end, there is humor and an entertainment element as well as mystery, drama, and angst.  I don't feel that this is outside the pale of slash fiction, nor do I owe any apologies for that.  Some themes, like the processing of grief over a secret lover, are too painful to not have some relief, and that is also part of my purpose.  I don't want to make readers cry unrelentingly or make the wounds left by BBM any deeper, and have tried to make reading these fics entertaining as well as comforting.  I would also like to say that those who have read and enjoyed the "Laramie" stories have found Ennis to be accurate, his growth to be believable and credible, and the story to be a fair assessment of conditions in that time and place.  Everyone is welcome to their own opinion, but some of what has been stated here, such as the comment "an overwhelming majority of fans find it unbelievable" are not speaking for the people who read and enjoy it.  I say, let be, let be.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline lia

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #1609 on: July 17, 2006, 05:13:05 am »
I am trying to keep of what here seems to be called TFW (obviously taken seriously), but I would like to point out that it is generally considered very bad netiquette/manners to quote or talk about specific posts on another forum without the poster's knowledge and ability to respond. I have let Melissa know that she was quoted here.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 05:18:00 am by lia »