Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3145409 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #3240 on: August 26, 2006, 01:21:38 pm »
Update to "Shelter From the Storm"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/100076.html  "Chapter 88:  Millie"
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline scudder

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #3241 on: August 26, 2006, 02:07:03 pm »
When I first learned about Ellery's plan to purchase a paso fino horse so that he could ride with Ennis, I thought, "Wow! Maybe that means he can visit Brokeback Mountain with Ennis." At the time I thought it would be a good thing, maybe even a very good thing.

After reading many comments at the end of chapter 83, especially the ones opposed to Ellery's going with Ennis to Brokeback Mountain, I now believe that it is vital, absolutely essential, for them to go there together.

I trust Louise and her muses to handle the situation exactly rightly. For me that's saying a lot, because it means I'm also trusting a large part of my own emotional well being to the unfolding of this story. To quote our excellent scudder, "As Ennis goes, so I go."

I'm with you, Fred.  As Ennis and Fred go, so I go!

Offline scudder

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #3242 on: August 26, 2006, 02:26:17 pm »
For the love story of Ennis and Ellery to develop, mature, deepen and strenghten, the story of Ennis and Jack and the story of Ellery and Beagle have to be integrated into the present and ongoing story of Ennis and Ellery.  And Louise is doing a bang up job of showing how that is done in the concrete here and now.

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3243 on: August 26, 2006, 02:31:01 pm »
I have no trouble with E&E going up to BBM together.      But once they do, they may not go back.    The old BBM camp may bring back too many memories for Ennis.   He may decide after this visit that future vacations be held elsewhere so he and Ellery can make new memories.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3244 on: August 26, 2006, 02:36:29 pm »
I have no trouble with E&E going up to BBM together.      But once they do, they may not go back.    The old BBM camp may bring back too many memories for Ennis.   He may decide after this visit that future vacations be held elsewhere so he and Ellery can make new memories.

David...you've roused yourself from your sickbed. Welcome back, we've missed you!

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • no way out but through
« Reply #3245 on: August 26, 2006, 02:56:52 pm »

Excellent point David... sorry to hear you've been sick... I hope you're mending!

Leslie - do you mind sharing what chapter you posted your lj comment regarding all the recent discussion?  thanks.
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3246 on: August 26, 2006, 03:11:00 pm »
I think it is all on Chapter 83 comments.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3247 on: August 26, 2006, 03:11:32 pm »
Final chapter to "Shelter From the Storm"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/100317.html  "Chapter 89:  Extradition"

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3248 on: August 26, 2006, 04:13:29 pm »
Well, the comments and controversy keep raging... I am rather goggle-eyed right now about it, because I didn't know first of all how many readers there are out there who have lurked all this time and never commented until now!  Wowwee folks.

Partly in response to this I have written an Author's Note at the end of "Shelter From the Storm" elucidating a bit where the next book is going.

http://louisev.livejournal.com/100479.html  "The Way Forward"

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3249 on: August 26, 2006, 06:01:53 pm »
I just received this wonderful pm from a reader who gave me permission to post it here:  Thank you for your wonderful words of support, Polly!

Dear Louise

I post very occasional comments on the Laramie saga on your LJ site.  I know you'll be inundated with personal messages at the moment, but I wanted to send this to you, rather than doing a LJ comment, as I don't want to get caught up in the public debate around chapter 83. 

Brokeback Mountain (initially the film, then the story) had a greater emotional effect on me than other work of art I've ever experienced.  Obviously it had the same effect on lots of other people, but I found it emotionally devastating - which, of course, is when I started reading fan fiction as a coping strategy.  The Laramie saga has helped me move on in a way no other fan fiction has.  As I said in my comments on Taking Chances, you provide an emotionally credible way for Ennis to move on - not as a 'happy ever after ending' but as a gradual coming to terms with both his guilt and his sexuality.  And that's helped me SO much and I can only thank you!  I just felt compelled to say this, given some of the feedback you're getting at the moment.

The other thing I wanted to say, in the light of some of the comments you've had, is that, IMO, engagement with creativity (especially fiction) is actually about being challenged.  For example, some of the physical aspects of Ellery and Ennis's relationship were initially outside my comfort zone (the paddle!), but your writing made it very clear that these were totally consensual and about mutual need.  But, if I hadn't been ok with, in Ellery's words, the 'mild bondage and discipline' I could have either skipped the sex scenes or stopped reading altogether - which, of course, is an option for the people who say 'Ellery can't visit Jack's special place.' 

And finally, Chapter 87 of Shelter from the Storm made me cry - that Ennis has hurt Ellery, but Elllery says nothing and is more concerned with Ennis's pain.  You do bittersweet so well...

Sorry this is so long, but I just wanted you to know how much I value your work.

Please cross-post to the lovely Bettermost site if you want!

Polly