Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3169757 times)

Offline laurel

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Heath, we'll never forget you.
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #3380 on: September 01, 2006, 06:43:55 pm »
Thanks for that addition, Laurel!  Definitely a good one.
Thanks, Louise!  I'm just finishing up rereading "Taking Chances", and I really enjoyed seeing your list of chapter endings, while the chapters were still fresh in my mind.  Brought back lots of pleasant memories!
What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger.   -Annie Proulx (Icon by alighttofollow)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3381 on: September 01, 2006, 06:57:48 pm »
Louise, you never told us that you met Hugh... :P 8)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #3382 on: September 01, 2006, 06:59:53 pm »
oh my lord, Lucise!  The papparazzi caught me!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3383 on: September 01, 2006, 07:04:16 pm »
hehe..you better be careful!  I won't post the beach ones.. :P ;)

I got stuff to do, yet I am idling around here..lol
ok..catcha later folks!

Offline Bigheart

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3384 on: September 01, 2006, 07:07:01 pm »
oh my lord, Lucise!  The papparazzi caught me!
hehehe LOL!

Offline Kazza

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3385 on: September 01, 2006, 07:32:54 pm »
Hey Louise

It's Friday night here in London and I've had a couple of glasses of cava whilst reading your exellent series. I always thought that I'd hate any BBM fan fiction that didn't inclde some sort of happy resolution for Jack and Ennis, but what you've written is wwonderful, and gripping and very entertaining!

I must admit it took me a while to get used to Ennis becoming so (comparatively) relaxed about his love for men. However, now that I am in the midst of book 4 the thought that entered my mind was what would Jack's reation to the new adventerous Ennis would be. I mean... dildos, bondage, butt plugs!!!!!!!!!!!! He'd be stunned. But happy for Ennis I think.

Mmmmm.. are these characters real.

Anyway - just wanted to let you know that even now people are discovering your wonderful writing. Thank you.

Ahh.... Cava..(please blame the Spanish fizz for any rambling or glaring spelling mistakes). ;D

Have a good weekend.

Karen
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 05:22:15 pm by MaineWriter »

Offline magicmountain

• Fire from heaven
« Reply #3386 on: September 01, 2006, 11:02:10 pm »

“If I were to die and I could come back as anything, I would want to come back as one of your tears. Who wouldn't want to be conceived in your heart, born in your eyes, live on your cheek, and die on your lips.”
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #3387 on: September 02, 2006, 07:28:29 am »
Update to "The Long Way Home"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/105711.html  "Chapter 13:  Secrets of the Soul"
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline magicmountain

• Fire from heaven
« Reply #3388 on: September 02, 2006, 10:18:52 am »
Some thoughts upon reading chapter 13

It is as if Ennis is suspended between his old self and the man he is becoming. As the new Ennis emerges like a butterfly from its chrysalis he is both liberated and appalled. For as he gradually frees himself from his fear and shame he is able to see clearly for the first time the hardship he had inflicted on Jack.

Ennis can now see his old self in the light of his new being. He sees his old life and his old relationship in the light of what he has now. For the new Ennis actually experiences what the alternative could have been like. He can measure the distance between that and what he meted out to Jack. That lived experience drives his new understanding and that in turn drives the knife through his heart. 

In a way it would have been easier for him if Ennis had never come out of his shell and lived on in that trailer. While he would still have felt guilty about Jack and regretted what he denied them both, he would still have seen his actions through the prism of his paranoia and limited experience. He would still be explaining it away as something he and Jack had to stand because it couldn’t be fixed.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 10:23:57 am by magicmountain »
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #3389 on: September 02, 2006, 12:41:45 pm »
Update to "The Long Way Home"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/105013.html  "Chapter 12:  Laying Low"

For whatever reason, this computer wouldn't let me log in to my lj account (chat won't work either), so I couldn't post my comment there... so here it is....

I agree (with lil darlin) the cottage does seem soooo incredibly cozy.  Makes me wanna vacation in the rain and snow!  Of course, only as long as I've got someone like Ellery to snuggle up with...
lol.
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger